Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DBattlestar Galactica Vipers

• TalosTalos0 Posts: 0Member
    I know they are in real life. I think they mentioned it somewhere in "Flight of the Phoenix." Or maybe I just imagined it. :D

EDIT: Remember Tyrol throwing himself in front of Roslin to keep her from hitting the nose of the Blackbird with the champagne bottle. Real life composites could take a hit like that.
  • B.J.B.J.1 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah, real life composites can take the hit, but you *really* wouldn't want to do it. If it was aluminum, you'd get a nasty dent. The composite skin probably wouldn't deform, but you'd get some delamination between the plies which would have to be repaired. That's one of the big downsides of composites - they're a pain in the rear to fix. Tyrol just didn't want any more work! :D
    :D Sounds about right for a CPO.:lol:
  • LarsenLarsen171 Posts: 0Member
    Looks cool:thumb:

You really should put credits on these...
    Yeah, I probably should. :lol:

I'll take care of it in a little bit.

EDIT: Took care of the important one, sorry about that Larsen.
    Bah, I'm not having any luck with photoshop, the gradient tool is not helping. :lol:
    Here's an old pic I did a while back when I was messing around with warship designs for the Cylon war. The destroyer refit is bulged for internal space and fitted with anti-air defenses to fight Cylon Raiders. It lost a pair of its antiship missile launchers to keep the mass down.
    This is an early WIP of the Viper Mk V. In my universe, it was designed as a replacement for all the war-era Vipers but was too cheap and conservative and didn't show much improvement over the older ships so it was canceled with only a few prototypes built.

EDIT: Updated Mk V pic.
    Here's a page with all the main numbered Viper variants for comparison. :D
  • quetzalquetzal0 Posts: 0Member
    The last picture you posted looks very nice, no great, no awosume, no wait fantastic!!!

keep it comming
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    Talos wrote: »
    During and after the Cylon War, colonial scientists and engineers worked on various methods to develop low-observable and stealth technology for both Vipers already in service and ones still on the drawing board..
    A stealth craft will never have exposed rivets like that, it's extremely unstealthy. Also, right angles are a no no.:nono:

I like your second from last post and ships a lot though. I would like to see more of both.:)
    Thanks guys. I'm really happy how the Vipers are turning out. The Mk V was kind of a spur of the moment design. I had an inspiration and drew a rough draft out. After a lot of fiddling, I'm pretty happy with it.

Yeah, I was basing the Stealth Viper on the Blackbird. At least the rivets are flush. :lol: I replaced the panels already with strips that run lengthwise. The hull is in the form of a hexagon, with primarily flat panels.
    Here's what I have for the side view of the Mk V so far, I'll update the pic with a better one when I get home from work (currently at home on lunch break :) ).

EDIT: Pic replaced by updated version on next page.
    The thing about space is, there's no atmosphere. You could use the stealtheist shape in the world without any trouble, a hopeless diamond.

It's actualy more interesting with them not having any concept of stealth geometry.
    Don't forget though, Vipers need to be able to operate in Earth-like atmospheres, as well as the outer atmosphere of gas-giants and such. I'm going to redo the Stealth Viper Mk I, it already has a hexagonal forward fuselage but I'm going to replace the panels with planks running the length of the forward fuselage.

Here's an updated pic of the Mk V's side view.
  • Viper AviatorViper Aviator0 Posts: 0Member
    Talos,

Cool work on the Mk V it looks great, I can't wait to see the Mk VI :thumb:
    Thanks VA. I'm working on the Mk VI side view now, the top view is on the lineage chart I did on the last page. Could you e-mail me those Mk VII orthos tonight, I'm going on vacation tomorrow morning for the weekend and want to work on that bird while I'm sitting around. :D
    Talos,

I apologize, but the modified orthos are'nt ready yet, I kept getting delayed with that pesky little thing called work (boy it sucks!), anyway if you want to, go ahead with the orthos that I gave you. They are not to out of the ball park, just make the vertical stabilizer a little bit longer horizontaly and you should be fine. I am working on the new orthos tonight. If i get them done I'll zap them out to you. :thumb:
    Okay, thanks a lot man, those orthos are awesome. I'll take your advice on the tail.
    Talos wrote: »
    Don't forget though, Vipers need to be able to operate in Earth-like atmospheres, as well as the outer atmosphere of gas-giants and such. I'm going to redo the Stealth Viper Mk I, it already has a hexagonal forward fuselage but I'm going to replace the panels with planks running the length of the forward fuselage.

Here's an updated pic of the Mk V's side view.

The Vipers aren't exactly aerodynamic wonders either, they almost have flat, partially hollowed out, noses and their wings can't generate lift. They use anti-gravity to lift off from planets, like the Raptor, if anything. A diamond would be an aerodynamic improvement.:p

The Viper looks really good but the side view of the nose doesn't fit the dynamic profile of the top view, nor the jaunty angle of the engine intakes. The belly also looks weak, or at least not spacious enough.
    Yeah, I'm still fiddling with the side view. The whole ship is inspired by the video game Viper and I was trying to achieve that blocky design. Anyway, I'll see you guys later, gotta go on vacation. I'll be back Sunday evening.
    It looks like it's going well and have fun on your vacation.
    Thanks, I did. I spent two nights on the USS Yorktown (CV-10) in Charleston, SC. It was sweet, especially since I got to explore the ship and get up-close and personal with my favorite airplane of all time (and a piece of art), the F-14A Tomcat. :D

I'll fiddle with the side view of the Mk V tomorrow. The foreward fuselage is meant to be almost a trapezoid when view from the front. The line just above the bottom of the fuselage is where it kicks in again, forming a distorted hexagon instead. The funny thing about the intakes are that they are actually the center, top-mounted intake from the Mk II, just resized and moderately modified. :lol:

This pic, the Raptor is one of the earliest drawing I did, many months ago. It remains the oldest, non-updated pic I have and it shows. :lol: I'm going to redraw it, probably from scratch eventually. The reason the engines aren't finished is that it was intended to be reduced in size to fit in a 1" by 1" box to serve as a counter.
    Here's something I was working on today, it's a Viper Mk I modified in the field for ground attack. The armor panel on the wing is done, the fuselage one is still being worked on. The tail is cut down and a third cannon is mounted on it for increased fire-power. The little pod under the cockpit is a designator pod for laser-guided weapons. The weapons underneath are for all of the Cylon War-era Vipers and is just a sampling of them. They are:

5" High Velocity Aerial Rocket (HVAR) mod 1. -HVAR rock with larger warhead and engine for greater range and damage, can't be carried in pod.

5" Folding Fin (FF) HVAR Rocket pod. 12 rocket capacity, aerodynamic cover on both ends disintergrates when the first rocket is fired

5" FF HVAR. self explanatory, small rocket with folding rear fins

HD-60/B Modified Infra-red Air-to-air Missile (IR AAM) with larger body for bigger warhead and engine

HD-60/A "Long Spear" IR AAM body from 5" FF HVAR with IR seeker

KE-33 "Ballista" Air-to-ground Missile (AGM). Flechette warhead for ground attack

The Mk V side view is still being worked on, so far I've bulged the body a bit right in front of the wing while keeping the nose slim.
    This is a side view showing the major production blocks of the Mk I/IV as well as the factory modifications.

The Block 10/20/30 have the original cockpit while the 12/22/32 have the Mk II style one. The Block 42/52 were renamed Viper Mk IV after the war. The 42 is the same as the 52 except the cannons are in the standard pylon mounts near the cockpit. It was renamed the Mk IVA.
    The first pic here is the Mk VII, based on orthos provided by VA. The top view is about 90% done, the side needs a lot of work. The other is the Mk V with a modified nose and bulged belly for the Major. Remember, the fuselage slopes outward until is reaches the line right below wing level and slopes inward.

EDIT: Mk VII pic removed and replace by pic in post #120.
  • Safe@2ndSafe@2nd0 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on the VII!!

Is it just me, or does the second one look a lot like the PS2 game version? I'd be curious to see how you would work the three vipers from the game into your history/timeline.

I really liked your "evolution" of the viper pic.
    Talos,

Excellent work on the Mk VII, I'll be able to zap out the accurate engine exhaust ports (side view) to you on Friday at the latest complete with the intercoolers. Keep up the great work my friend. :thumb:
    Safe@2nd wrote: »
    Great work on the VII!!

Is it just me, or does the second one look a lot like the PS2 game version? I'd be curious to see how you would work the three vipers from the game into your history/timeline.

I really liked your "evolution" of the viper pic.

That's probably 'cause I based the Mk V on the videogame Viper. :D I had a few perspective shots of it that were in BJ's thread. I changed it a bit, stretching it behind the cockpit and making it a bit less clunky. I don't have any data on the other game Vipers, besides the game of course.:lol:

Thanks a bunch, VA. Those orthos are awesome and very good. I'll finish the top view tonight and work on the side view more tomorrow.

EDIT: Finished top view of Viper Mk VII
    I updated the Lineage Chart with the finished top view of the Viper Mk VII.