Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialTHE TMP 1701: or, What HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!

• ns_exilens_exile171 Posts: 0Member
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Well, I'm also a Nova Scotia exile, only removed by about 140 years (my grandfather was Cajun, and the Cajuns were expelled from Nova Scotia by the British).

Yep, my ancestors kicked your ancestors out of Acadia/Nova Scotia. But no hard feelings, right? :cool: C'mon, give us a hug...

Show's the moxy your ancestors had though, they could have stayed if they swore allegiance to the King but they were having none of that. But I digress... bussards...
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    ns_exile wrote:
    You've been doing this nacelle tutorial too long. :)

I've started "ripping" it into document form... 31 pages and rising. :thumb:

Wowser, that's getting up there:D . Hopefully, won't take another 31 pages to finish, but probably will:devil: .

Be interesting to see what it looks like finished without the ramblings:p... of me.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Aw, hell, I just saved every image, and was about to start the text. If you're there already, though, Mr. Oppressor of My Ancestors (:devil:), I'll save the effort.

Let me know if you need PDF conversion ability, I have Acrobat Pro at work.
    ns_exile wrote:
    Yep, my ancestors kicked your ancestors out of Acadia/Nova Scotia. But no hard feelings, right? :cool: C'mon, give us a hug...

Show's the moxy your ancestors had though, they could have stayed if they swore allegiance to the King but they were having none of that. But I digress... bussards...

Hey wait a minute, I've made my bussards... Oh, you mean ERIC:devil: .
    Roliba wrote:
    Wowser, that's getting up there:D . Hopefully, won't take another 31 pages to finish, but probably will:devil: .

Be interesting to see what it looks like finished without the ramblings:p... of me.

It's the pictures that are making the thing so big, I'm shrinking them down to get at least 2 per page, but not so small that you can't see any detail, know what I mean? Your tutorial is mainly visual so I have to preserve that. I'll let you proof-read when the nacelle part is over with to get your opinion on it.
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Aw, hell, I just saved every image, and was about to start the text. If you're there already, though, Mr. Oppressor of My Ancestors (:devil:), I'll save the effort.

Let me know if you need PDF conversion ability, I have Acrobat Pro at work.

I'm done to where he left off including both text and pics, Oh Oppressed One. So if you want to spare yourself the trouble, I'll be putting it in PDF format for all to see/download.
    Hey exile. Whenever you want to drop a proof, go right ahead. Like I said, i'm kinda interested to see how it looks.
    Roliba wrote:
    Hey exile. Whenever you want to drop a proof, go right ahead. Like I said, i'm kinda interested to see how it looks.

No prob, if you want to PM me your email address, I'll see if I can get a preliminary draft over to you this afternoon.
  • MelakMelak332 Posts: 0Member
    Wow very cool tutorial...I think we'll see *some* TMP nacelles soon...:lol:
    ns_exile wrote:
    I'm done to where he left off including both text and pics, Oh Oppressed One. So if you want to spare yourself the trouble, I'll be putting it in PDF format for all to see/download.

Yes, I'm happy to let someone else do this. I was killng time on my lunch break and figured I'd give it a shot, but it's not like I have all the time in the world (or any). Coming up on Day 30 without a day off, and things are still hectic...
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Yes, I'm happy to let someone else do this. I was killng time on my lunch break and figured I'd give it a shot, but it's not like I have all the time in the world (or any). Coming up on Day 30 without a day off, and things are still hectic...

Geez man, you need to get out of that lawyering gig and into something less stressful... like raising yaks in Tibet...
    Or providing security to the Green Zone in Baghdad.
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Or providing security to the Green Zone in Baghdad.

Naw, go for Tibet... clean mountain air... little sherpa dudes to carry your stuff around...

Man, do we know how to hijack a thread? :D
    Um, guy's? remeberme?

Exile, I've sent you a PM.
    Roliba wrote:
    Um, guy's? remeberme?

Exile, I've sent you a PM.

I'm sorry, you were... ? :shiner:
    Some guy who makes nacelles...:devil:
    Suddenly, I feel for negligted and ignored...:(
  • AlarethAlareth331 Posts: 0Member
    Roliba wrote:
    Suddenly, I feel for negligted and ignored...:(

Post pictures of the fantail in progress and they may pay attention to you again.
    I think this thing is spiralling out of my control:lol: .

Exile, just looked over the PDF, you didn't fix the typos and spelling errors:devil:

Just kidding.

I really didn't think I'd put that much info in it (maybe I didn't and they're just really big pictures.)

Otherwise, looks good, but it is a chunky monkey, aint it?
    It might be better to add text boxes to the images themselves, so the tut is composed entirely of the images plus comments. For most of the images, the box would be pretty small, as you have a lot of instances where you write a sentence, post an image, write a sentence, post an image, etc. For the images where you have longer accompanying text, the text box can be added to the bottom of the image, like subtitles in a letterboxed movie.
    The way I have composed it is, description then image. The rest is just ramblings.
  • AlarethAlareth331 Posts: 0Member
    I'm putting together a 3D and Digital art site and can host/mirror the download. Possibly an html version in the tutorials section.
    Roliba wrote:
    The way I have composed it is, description then image. The rest is just ramblings.

Couldn't tell...:devil:

So you can cull down your text into just the bits you think are most useful, and put those into text boxes on the images.

Does that sound reasonable?
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Roliba wrote:
    Hey wait a minute, I've made my bussards... Oh, you mean ERIC:devil: .
    Holy *censored*! I'm a byword! LOL!
    I wouldn't call yourself a byword, more of an iconic figure WHO JUST HASN'T COUGHED UP THE BUSSARDS!:D

Anyway...

The first image of this stage shows a spline cage of the side fin. The only reason I used splines with a surface modifier was to reinforce the point that it doesn't matter what method is used to make the shape, as long as the shape is made.

Nac58.jpg

Once I have the shape I want, I select upper and lower horizontal edges...

Nac59.jpg

...and champher them, rounding them out. I do the same to the verticle edges to soften them.

Nac60.jpg

Then I made a box, pulled and twisted it a bit...

Nac61.jpg

...and booleaned, again saving the inner and outer parts. Then i select the edges...

Nac62.jpg

... and extrude them just slightly. I selected the poly's and added a touch of color (note: the color is actually sampled from an image of the production model)

Nac63.jpg

A few more cuts and extutions, a self lit material application, and we have a finished wing.

Nac64.jpg
    The next peice of detailing to add on is a second 'ridge' along the top. The part extends straight back from the dome thingy on the top, just back from the bussards

Nac65.jpg

This ones pretty easy. I just selcted the rear facing faces...

Nac66.jpg

And pulled them staright back.

Nac67.jpg

From here, I just pulled the verts into the position I wanted, to give everything the right slope, softened the top edges, and presto..

Nac68.jpg
    And where It all stands so far...

Full01.jpg
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Roliba wrote:
    I wouldn't call yourself a byword, more of an iconic figure WHO JUST HASN'T COUGHED UP THE BUSSARDS!:D
    Work'n on it ... work'n on it ...

(Iconic figure - LOL!)

*edit* BTW, you're turning out a great tutorial!
    Going great, as always. Quick question, thought: aren't there supposed to be horizontal grooves in that inlet-thingy along the side of the nacelles?
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Going great, as always. Quick question, thought: aren't there supposed to be horizontal grooves in that inlet-thingy along the side of the nacelles?

Do you mean like these ones?

t8.jpg