Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialTHE TMP 1701: or, What HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Tutorial? What is this? :devil:

OK, serious moment. This is unbelievably badass. This tutorial is about the first thing I've seen that seriously makes me wish I was a max user.
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks EG. Do you not have similiar tools in Truespace? Otherwise, I trying to keep things as generic as possible, but not knowing any other apps, I may be taking some tools for granted.
    Dude, there is stuff you're doing there I could never hope to accomplish in tS. At least, not the version I use.
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Similar but not the same. Welding seems to only have a function for joining two points for us. I don't see any difference after welding end points as in your tutorial. I may be missing something though.
    Every time I try to weld, I wind up with a FUBAR mess. :(
  • chronochrono0 Posts: 1Member
    Roliba wrote:
    Thanks EG. Do you not have similiar tools in Truespace? Otherwise, I trying to keep things as generic as possible, but not knowing any other apps, I may be taking some tools for granted.
    :lol: A MAX user could not make a tutorial simple enough for ANY TS under v8, without going mad first. Build the Fantail without the following tools: edge extrusion, delete face, chamfer, bevel, hinge, FFD, and the inability to weld non-face vertexs. :D

For example the following steps from the fantail tut that you just posted would have to be changed: 1,2,5,6,...... it's easier to just say that you'd have to write a completely different tutorial. ;) But that's the differences between an Open & Closed modelling system. :) Only logical reasons to buy a TS version is for v7's access to VRay.
    Why do I get the feeling that TS weld and Max weld are two different things. In Max, it's just a way of taking two (or more) verts and combining them into one.
    Same idea. TS will only allow you to weld when it's on a face and not across non-face gap.
    The weld vertices tool in tS welds all vertices in a selected face/mesh into one point. It's complete crap and totally useless.
    That's only on a continous mesh and same edge.
    Well, in Max, (when you're using editable Polys) the two verts have to be connected with an edge, or, oddly enough, an actual none face gap.
    The weld vertices tool in tS welds all vertices in a selected face/mesh into one point. It's complete crap and totally useless.

That sounds like Max's collapse function. A useful tool for certain things, especialy if you have a group of verts you want to combine into one central.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Well, in light of the latest addition to the tutorial, all I can say is...FANTAIL!
    See my post in Eric's tut, I'm not typing all of that crap again. :p
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Well, in light of the latest addition to the tutorial, all I can say is...FANTAIL!

Are you happy now? If so...GET OUT OF MY HEAD!::D
    Just kinda goofing around.

Joket.jpg
  • Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    lol:lol: now thats funny...
    Roliba wrote:
    Are you happy now? If so...GET OUT OF MY HEAD!::D

You don't want me out of your head.

You want me to continue...encouraging you to finish this tutorial.

You want to model those weird shapes on the sides of the primary deflector dish.

These aren't the droids you're looking for...:D
    Jedilaw wrote:
    You don't want me out of your head.

You want me to continue...encouraging you to finish this tutorial.

You want to model those weird shapes on the sides of the primary deflector dish.

These aren't the droids you're looking for...:D

But, but...

Damn, where are the droids anyway?
    Anakin's garage...
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Anakin's garage...

Who?

:runs:
    I have an anouncement to make. I pulled my old (and only) copy of the TMP to check for a reference for the next stage of the droid hunt... errr... I mean tutorial and I made an interesting discovery.

We all owe EvilGenius180 (good to see a Connie avatar back bro.) an apoligy. It seems that out of all of us experts, he was damn right about the color on the inboard portion of the naccelle. Let me make this clear, the video (that's right, video, ie VCR thingy, pre-DVD) that I purchased late eighties, before any such thing as CG retouching, clearly shows a BLUE glow. There is no pink, purlple, plaid, or any other shade shown. It was during the worm hole sequence, and there is no doubt.

So to Evil, way to stay to your guns bro. (no gloating:devil: )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Glad that's been cleared up, I can get back to sorting out my materials now! :D

Excellent tut, Roliba, proving to be exceptionally useful! :thumb:
    Thank-you. I do so try.
    Roliba wrote:
    I have an anouncement to make. I pulled my old (and only) copy of the TMP to check for a reference for the next stage of the droid hunt... errr... I mean tutorial and I made an interesting discovery.

We all owe EvilGenius180 (good to see a Connie avatar back bro.) an apoligy. It seems that out of all of us experts, he was damn right about the color on the inboard portion of the naccelle. Let me make this clear, the video (that's right, video, ie VCR thingy, pre-DVD) that I purchased late eighties, before any such thing as CG retouching, clearly shows a BLUE glow. There is no pink, purlple, plaid, or any other shade shown. It was during the worm hole sequence, and there is no doubt.

So to Evil, way to stay to your guns bro. (no gloating:devil: )

*clears his throat as he steps up to the podium after accepting the huge freakin' gold trophy*

I would like to thank everyone (Roliba) who has made this day possible. While I knew in my heart it was always blue, even I had my doubts as all of those shitty "screencaps" appeared from left and right with the wrong freakin' color on them. However,through perseverence and willpower, deep down, I stayed sure of my rightness as the trials went on.... blah blah blah

you mean; nothing like that, right? :devil:
    how did i know that was commin...:flippy:

*ducks as EG's keyboard flies in general direction*
    Dude, I'm not throwing my keyboard!! Oh wait, I have a spare!! :devil:

*chucks keyboard*
    HAHA missed...

*ducks second keyboard*
    Wow, that's 4 posts and we've gotten absolutely nothing accomplished. (This would be 5 :devil:) Good job, LR!!
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Let´s see. That else is there that could be mentioned?
    -The basic shape of the neck? (I´d use an extruded shape and work from there.)
    -The casings for the secondary deflectors? (Probably loft, spline cage, SubD or a deformed cylinder. Depending on which method you like best.)
    -The torpedo launcher? (I usually start with a box, smooth the basic shape and refine it.)

Would be interesting to hear how you´d approach those.