Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Local TutorialTHE TMP 1701: or, What HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!

123457»

• Lee80Lee80193 Posts: 458Member
    Wow, that's 4 posts and we've gotten absolutely nothing accomplished. (This would be 5 :devil:) Good job, LR!!

Hey thanks (this makes 6) :devil:
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    *Sticks head, making sure that there are no more keyboards flying*

Glad you didn't gloat EG.

Lennier, Believe me, I really do plan to finsh out the whole model, I just wanted to get a little something done on my TOS Enterprise. Actually, it's not so much as a plan as a compulsion gnawing at the back of my skull. (These aren't the droids... Damn it Jedi, I'll do it, I'll do it!)
    And would you to stop wasting Acemans storage space (that's 7)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I guess it's a good thing he has those 250 GB HDs to run his server on. (8) :devil:
    yah, otherwise wed really be in for it..:devil: (9)
    He might actually say something(9)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Yeah, he'd say there are two (9)s. ;)

(Would that make this 10 or 11? :D)
    Can you think of a better way to waste space than repeating a number? :devil: (9... no wait, 12:D )
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    Roliba wrote:
    Can you think of a better way to waste space than repeating a number? :devil:
    Maybe a Paris Hilton tribute homepage? ;)

128 :D
    lennier1 wrote:
    Maybe a Paris Hilton tribute homepage? ;)

128 :D

Uhhhmmm........

Nope!:lol:

I think I just lost count.
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,280Member
    :flippy:
    Mission accomplished!

[topic]Looking forward to your next mini tutorial. ;)[/topic]
    I guess I'll just have to start again (1)
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    HEY...a TMP tuts..;)....very nice man...it's Max, so i don't get dick what you're saying..but with the Max base in here, i'm sure it's appriciate it!...it's not to accurate, but well done none the less.
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    All we need now is for some ace Lightwave user to show how to do this mesh in Lightwave. Hmmmm, who around here is a Lightwave guru who has some experience with TMP-era models? No one comes to mind...:devil: :)
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Jedilaw wrote:
    Hmmmm, who around here is a Lightwave guru who has some experience with TMP-era models? No one comes to mind...:devil: :)
    HA, HA! You're a quick one, Jedilaw. LOL!
  • OovebeiOovebei171 Posts: 0Member
    Hmm,

Could do with a Blender version too (and no I am NOT volunteering) :D
    But I don't know blender. Who does...and does nice work...hmmm?
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    *cough* Crimsonline (already does Trek)*cough*

Or Sphynx.

Just to name two.
    yeah!...btw were on 16 , but whos counting :devil:
  • JJohnson1701JJohnson17010 Posts: 0Member
    ns_exile wrote: »
    Yep, my ancestors kicked your ancestors out of Acadia/Nova Scotia. But no hard feelings, right? :cool: C'mon, give us a hug...

Show's the moxy your ancestors had though, they could have stayed if they swore allegiance to the King but they were having none of that. But I digress... bussards...

If only we had conquered Canada back in the Revolution, then none of that would have mattered....aw.

;)

James
    Roliba wrote: »
    I wouldn't call yourself a byword, more of an iconic figure WHO JUST HASN'T COUGHED UP THE BUSSARDS!:D

Anyway...

The first image of this stage shows a spline cage of the side fin. The only reason I used splines with a surface modifier was to reinforce the point that it doesn't matter what method is used to make the shape, as long as the shape is made.

Nac58.jpg

Once I have the shape I want, I select upper and lower horizontal edges...

Nac59.jpg

...and champher them, rounding them out. I do the same to the verticle edges to soften them.

Nac60.jpg

Then I made a box, pulled and twisted it a bit...

Nac61.jpg

...and booleaned, again saving the inner and outer parts. Then i select the edges...

Nac62.jpg

... and extrude them just slightly. I selected the poly's and added a touch of color (note: the color is actually sampled from an image of the production model)

Nac63.jpg

A few more cuts and extutions, a self lit material application, and we have a finished wing.

Nac64.jpg

The images aren't showing up for me in Firefox...

James
    It would probably help me explain things if I knew what the hell the peices are supposed to be called...

But since as I don't, I'm going to call this front round cross-peice thingy or FRCPT:devil:

To make the FRCPT, I made a simple spline circle.

Nac69.jpg

Then I cut it in half and pulled it into shape.

Nac70.jpg

Next, I converted it into a poly object, and extruded to thickness.

Nac71.jpg

From there, applied a symmentry mod, a temp color, fine tuned it's shape with an FFD box so the leading edge follows the slope of the front of the naccelle, and as always softened any major edges with a chamber.

Viola', one quick and easy FRCPT...

Nac72.jpg

I can't see the images, but the two vertical black slits are the "space-energy/matter sinks" and the two rounded things on the sides before the long ones are "magnatomic flux construction-first stage" and the long things on the sides are the "power-stage magnatomic flux chillers." Good work so far on the nacelles (from the one image I can see).

James
    Sorry about that james. I had to make room for soem new pictures. I seemed to have loaded up my image area too much.

Thanks for the nice comments though.
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    ... I mean tutorial and I made an interesting discovery.
    We all owe EvilGenius180 (good to see a Connie avatar back bro.) an apoligy. It seems that out of all of us experts, he was damn right about the color on the inboard portion of the naccelle. Let me make this clear, the video (that's right, video, ie VCR thingy, pre-DVD) that I purchased late eighties, before any such thing as CG retouching, clearly shows a BLUE glow. There is no pink, purlple, plaid, or any other shade shown. It was during the worm hole sequence, and there is no doubt.
    %0 and there is no doubt.
    So to Evil, way to stay to your guns bro. (no gloating:devil: )

Maybe it´s a bit late, but...I´ve found a poster from 70´s and, believe it or not, there you can see the pink thing back in town... :o :lol:
    Already forgot: I have that poster, and the magazine where it comes together. ;)
    Back on topic: Roliba, I made the nacele´s spline cage, but I´m getting an weird error... Later, when in home, I´ll post a pic.
  • haiddasalamihaiddasalami0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey my first post but your title intrigued me so here I am. Anyways the pics dont show up, though the ones for your spline tut do. Or is it you just have one attached pic and comment on how u arrived to it
  • backsteptbackstept2060 Posts: 922Member
    well since the previous post before yours was made over a year ago, then it's safe to assume that all the attachments were removed to make room for new stuff :shiner:

please pay attention to the dates on the posts, and if you come across an old thread, instead of dragging it up from the underworld, PM the thread author if you have a question
    this keeps the inmates happy :D
    I belive that I have the pics saved in a ".doc". When in home, I´ll see and upload it when found. ;)
    Good news: I´ve found the doc.
    Bad news: the compresed file is larger than the maximum size of attachments allowed.

Later, I´ll host it at some place and post the link for download. ;)
    Excuse me the long waiting.
    Here it goes the link to the doc file (word 2003). ENTERPRISE-A.rar - FileFront.com
    One more time: thanks Rolland!