Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Wars projects thread

• codys87codys870 Posts: 0Member
    Hello Fractalsponge. Always a great work. I have see this class of ship on one forum and pehaps can you tell me what class is ? Thank you. courageous2.jpg
    95969.jpg
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Where did you find that exactly? I did a google image search but couldn't find anything like it. :(

I don't know about anyone else, but IMO it looks a bit like a take on the Victory-class, or a variant -- IIRC either the Victory-I or II had "winglets" to assist with atmospheric maneouvering.

EDIT: Found it - on the StarDestroyer BBS. Bearing in mind the filename is "Courageous" I expect that will probably be the class...
  • fractalspongefractalsponge254 Posts: 1,088Member
    That ship is Road Warrior's baby. I'm just taking it out to add some panels :)
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Starscream wrote: »
    Where did you find that exactly? I did a google image search but couldn't find anything like it. :(

I don't know about anyone else, but IMO it looks a bit like a take on the Victory-class, or a variant -- IIRC either the Victory-I or II had "winglets" to assist with atmospheric maneouvering.

EDIT: Found it - on the StarDestroyer BBS. Bearing in mind the filename is "Courageous" I expect that will probably be the class...

Yep, you won't find anything about Courageous for two reasons. 1. I have only shown it to select folks and 2. It's not done yet- almost but not quite.

Some things I can say about it are that it is NOT a take on a victory class or a varient thereof. And those "fins" are not primarily used for atmosphereic maneouvering. They are radiators(which face inward). I am also (unfortunantly) not mentioning the class name at this time.

I would like to say that if it weren't for Ansel it would probably be a year before I could finish the hull plates- as I modeled that ship in ....Wings3d.
    Yeah, I had a feeling it might be something other than a Victory - I saw Fractal's own take on that particular beastie somewhere in the same thread on StarDestroyer BBS (which stuck a bit closer to the original).

Sounds like you at least want to disclose the class name... Could it be yours is for another Lucasarts project in the works? ;)
  • sojournersojourner0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, just wandered in to this thread. Some great looking art in here. I noticed the talk of the Praetor class battlecruiser. It looks very similar to one of the development sketches in the Art of Empire Strikes Back for the Executor. Of course, that's lucas film, feeding off of it's older stuff for ya.
    Actually IIRC, the concept art was re-used by Marvel for its StarWars comics back in the day, to portray Admiral Giel's flagship. It's only now that Lucasarts is choosing to canonise its portrayal. ;)

(and to be fair, there was an awful lot of unused concept art by Ralph McQuarrie that deserves to have a canon place in the SW universe!)
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    I modeled that ship in ....Wings3d.
    You sir, are to be flat out commended for getting that level of detail, and not going insane first.

...errr...

Please say you're sane.
    I am endlessly amused at where my stuff turns up.

Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game – The Price of Victory:
    http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111223070841/starwars/images/d/d6/Imperial_Starfleet.jpg

TOR timeline 11 video:
    http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7489/bellatorsithempirestard.jpg
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    I suppose now it is officially in the public domain and the designs are officially Star Wars canon, they're going to end up popping up everywhere. Not surprising really as they're really cool designs and I bet people are chomping at the bit to use them.
  • kevinskikevinski0 Posts: 0Member
    but still they could have asked him. Guess its not a big deal to simply write a few words to establish conntact.

Oh and fractal:
    great models ^^
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Wow. That is both amazing and infuriating at the same time, Ansel. That's three official Lucas film products that have now featured your work. All without pay, I'm assuming. Oh well, at least you have one that you did get paid for, now. :cool:
    Indeed. I guess the deal might have been we'll pay you for the work, but it is ours to do with as we see fit now, and that'll include any officially licensed Star Wars project. On one level that sucks, though I don't know how much you got paid for the work, but on the other at least it means you have the pleasure of having your own designs entered into official Star Wars canon.

I also noted in a recent SW Insider mag that they had an article on the art from the SW Guide to Warfare book, but was extremely disappointed not to see you mentioned, or any of your art on display, was more focused on the more painterly artists I guess, but would have liked to have seen some of your work on display as it is definitely some of the best of what is on show in there.
    Seems to me quite clear that the TOR piece is simply a case of that particular artist ripping off your endeavours for their own paid works -- it's not even in the right time period for this to have been a case of Lucasarts doing it (they tend to be a bit more meticulous!)

IMO they need a royal b*llocking - it's not like the ISD where it could easily have been mistaken for an official licensed reference.
  • akb1979akb1979172 Posts: 0Member
    I saw that file on the TOR wiki site and saved it - they called it Bellator, the actual file name is "Bioware_Bellator.png" found here: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Harrower-class_Dreadnaught

Nice of them to rip you off. :mad:
  • Jedi PowerJedi Power171 Posts: 25Member
    Did they think some smudges here and there would make it so you wouldn't know? It is like a Father not knowing his own child. A lot of flattery though. No denying the top shelf work Ansel.
    There was a new insider article on my work and Ian Fullwood's. The publishers and the core LFL people have been a pleasure to work with.
    Glad to hear you're getting the recognition you so rightfully deserve. Will look forward to seeing that one, so that'll be issue 110? Actually the UK issue numbers are a bit different to the US ones I think.
    Good to hear Fractal.

Insider? What's this then?:confused:
    Star Wars Insider is a Star Wars magazine.
    Um, it was 134 for the US I think.
    Oh OK. So what issue is it for the UK? Interested in purchasing it. :)
    It is issue 110 in the UK (out this month with Yoda on the cover), I just picked it up yesterday.

Balance has been restored and this issue's feature on The Essential Guide to Warfare book features the 3d work on spaceraft by Fractal (Ansel) and Ian Fullwood. Great to see your work get a nice double page spread. Fantastic job mate. You're also in good artistic company this month what with a feature on Nilo Rodis-Jamero, and of course the beautiful look back at the life and works of the late great Ralph McQuarrie. Heck, I think I have had practically every picture featured in that article from a very young age.
  • emp3ror86emp3ror86171 Posts: 0Member
    I have not been here for a while, I just read 20+ pages. And my mind is about to explode or melt down from all the awesomeness it saw just within a few minutes. OMDFG!
  • JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    I had a chance to thumb through the Warfare book at Barnes and Noble recently. My son was very impressed that I know the guy who made those Star Destroyers, although he wants to know why your refueling station doesn't have guns. He thinks it's a security risk.
    Hmm, haven't been able to find a copy of Star Wars Insider...wonder if I've missed it in the shops. :(
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,282Member
    Admit it, your next projects will be the Death Stars, right down to the midichlorian level.
  • jedi44jedi440 Posts: 0Member
    He,he,that cracked me up lennier1.
    I think Fractal will probably do it too,just to spite us!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Don't worry guys...he will be back better than ever(whenever he get's around to it that is)!:)
    Don't be silly lennier, you know exactly what's been eating up my time in 3D lately :D.