Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DKlingon Carrier Concept (once again)

• AtolmAtolm334 Posts: 76Member
    Yeap...i still like this design :)
  • BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    Welcome back Atolm.

More minor stuff. Enjoy.

c2post267.jpg

c2post268.jpg

c2post269.jpg

I'm almost there, but now this paticular file is so large it's slowing my system down and that's hard to do. Damn it.
    c2post270.jpg

c2post271.jpg

Closer still, not much further to go, but I do not fore see being able to do full renders for some time. But we'll see.
    Back for now, added some RCS thrusters to the wingtips. Still more to do.

c2post274.jpg
    c2post276.jpg

Starting to add sensor arrays. This is the last few pieces to add I think.

c2post277.jpg

A bit closer.
    The forward arrays are in, just finished the lateral arrays. I realized I still need airlocks, damn, so close. Enjoy.

c2post278.jpg

c2post279.jpg
    Airlocks, need I say more.

c2post280.jpg

c2post281.jpg

Just in case anybody is interested (and judging by the number of posts lately, I'm guessing you're not :) ) I found my face counter and it says the portion of the ship you see in the last pic is just over 6,500,000 faces. I can only imagine what the final count for the entire ship will be.
    No new pics, but I will let you know where I'm at at this point. I have about a dozen or so objects left to duplicate and position on the wing area. I am having difficulty getting this done however because the file is so large it is eating up RAM like candy. I duplicate an object and then wait up to ten minutes for it to actually process and complete the the duplication. Then move it and wait another ten minutes for the object to actually move. On and on like this, a few minutes of normal work is taking hours. But the god news is I'm almost done and ready to bring it all together. So keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804596 Posts: 11,184Member
    It's been too long since I've been in this thread. But, it seems you've been a bit absent, also. :devil:

This is just outstanding. So many details since I last saw it. Great work. :thumb:
  • sovranesovrane332 Posts: 0Member
    Havent seen tthis Thread in a long time. I like it!
    Keep workin!
    Thanks guys, I'm still at it, S L O W L Y. :)
    Ok, no new pics, but at least an update. I tried to do an end run around my problem and found out what my problem really was. As I'm trying to mirror the port side to the starboard side, Blender keeps crashing because there is just too much info for my system to handle. Old problem stated. New problem, the last few details are the ones causing the most trouble. It turns out the gun stations make up at least 80 to 90% or the overall file, this is wierd and frustrating at the same time because they are the last items to be mirrored and I'm done. So anyway, I thought I'd just let you guys know (those interested anyway) that I'm still at it, just very, very slowly.
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    Treckies....
  • CrimsonLineCrimsonLine171 Posts: 0Member
    That's unhelpful, Dimitriy.

As well as misspelled. :)
    But then, Knowledge is light, and ignorance is darkness.
  • DimitriyDimitriy0 Posts: 0Member
    to CrimsonLine: well Sir...when it comes to Star Trek - I am pretty much useless. I've never been a fan of this show. All I know about Star Trek is that my friend is a trekie and he is pretty much nuts.

As to the spelling, there are only two languages in this world that I never make spelling mistakes in. C/C++ and MIPS...

Ekskuze mai havi rassian akcent Ser....
    Now for the really bad news, as some of you may know this was placed on hold for computer related problems. It is now in total limbo due to a systems crash and reboot problem which resulted in the loss of all my blender files (as well as many others); so this and all of my other projects are now defunct. I will attempt as I have time to rebuild this and all my other ships as soon as possible, but don't anyone hold their breath because it will take some time to do so. Just felt you all diserved to know.
  • ElowanElowan0 Posts: 0Member
    That's unhelpful, Dimitriy.

As well as misspelled. :)
    But then, Knowledge is light, and ignorance is darkness.

Yeah. It should be spelled 'dreckies'.:flippy:
    Sorry to hear that, BMc...
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    try a file recovery program quickly, there are some free ones out there....do it immediately, i was able to save tons of blender files from the same type of crash just a few months ago....
    It's worse than I thought. I lost my main files because I had to reboot my Op Sys. I lost my storage drive files (my back ups) because somehow in the process my storage drive got ganked. It is completely inacessable, unformattable nad in generally lost to my system. Nothing I have done so far has been able to resusitate it, it is for all intents and purposes dead. On the other hand the rest of my system seems to be operating fine, slow, but fine.

The good news is - ready for this - in order to test it, I started my carrier again. This time however I'm going to do some massive renovating of my original design and hopefully create something whose file size will be more managable so I can actually finish it. This will be my fourth restart if you count my old CAD version, if not, then it is my third for Blender. Wish me luck or some such jazz and pray to whatever God you worship that it works this time.
    A minor update and a little teaser of things to come. Let me know what you think.

NKC1.jpg
  • Chris VickersChris Vickers0 Posts: 0Member
    What a crime that you lost all of that!!! But the new version seems to be coming along well.
    I like it, BMc. Sleek and smooth.
    Thanks Cl, but it wont stay that way long, I'm still gonna armorplate the hell out of it. But here's something for you to chew on, I'm reconsidering the gun barrels and such, they were trully part of the problem last time around, so I am going to rethink them a bit. TIme will tell what will be my final idea.

Right now I have two ongoing projects, the carrier and my Grandmother's house. It was also among the casulties of this disaster, so I have to rebuild it so I will have it as a blueprint for my remodeling job. If anyone is interested I can post that project as well.
    Once again I'm raising the dead. As I stated in my Navarone thread, the carrier is back on the drawing board. I did not continue the previous incarnation further than what is seen above for the very same reason that the previous design was causing me all sorts of havoc. So I, once again, started from scratch. This time however I had a plan in mind, make it as simple as possible and let materials and textures do the detail work. So using bits of the old and creating some new ideas along the way, I've been somewhat succesful in my endeavor. It's not as nice as the one I lost, but it has its points and it is not giving my system headaches. So to wet your appetite, here are a few shots of what I have so far, but be forwarned, it may be some time before I post anything further. So with that said, enjoy and C and C -as always - is welcomed.

KCV51.jpg

KCV52.jpg
    Wow! The new head of the Carrier looks very serpentine with the paneling the way it is. Those are bump maps? They look great.
  • somacruz145somacruz1450 Posts: 0Member
    A bit too shiny and rough on the plates for my taste but overall it looks pretty good :thumb:
    Well, if a bump map is me overlaying a picture of a bunch or miss matched squares and rectangles over the main body color (probably why it's so shiny, guess I'll have to work on that), then yes by default; if not then no. As I said, I'm modeling very conservatively, the fewer faces the better; but I'm trying to use materials and textures for the extreme details. I realized that by modeling the details on the previous versions, it was creating this huge file that my system just couldn't process; so I'm going the opposite direction this time around. I'll be the first to admit that it does not come even close to the quality of the last couple of designs, but at this point I'll be happy just getting it finished. One day I'll have a system that can really handle it and then I'll rebuild her the right way; until then this will have to do.

CL, I've really been trying to follow your advice about the guns, but I'm having a lot of trouble designing anything that looks right on this ship and appears to fit the ST style. I have decided that instead of the in close guns being gattling style, It'd be more effective to use modified phaser emitters and require a lot less faces. I have to admitt the guns on this are a real challenge (this coming from the guy who seems to make guns for a hobby [check out some of my other threads if you don't believe me]). Anyway, I played with it a little tonight at work, but nothing to post right now; maybe with in the week or so.
    OK. I'll be looking forward to it.
    Minor update and request for opinions. As I stated before, the guns have been giving me a hard time. I'm trying to be more ST in style and appearance, but for some reason this doesn't set well with this ships over all design. So I came up with a couple of ideas and I think these are about the best. The Capitol guns can't really go much different than previous interpretations because of the type of gun they are supposed to be. They are supposed to fire a magnetically contained plasma round. So they kind of need to look a lot like capitol guns on battleships of today, but I'm open to suggestions or design ideas if anyone can offer them as long as they stick with the basic idea behing the gun itself.

KCV53.jpg

Next is the medium range gun, (I think this is the one CL has the biggest "problem" with) it looks a lot like the old WWII tank side guns (which is what it supposed to look like originally) but again I'm open to suggestions or ideas to make this more ST like if it goes with or (I guess you could say) fits the style of the ship.

KCV54.jpg

At this moment nothing is concrete (except for what kind of guns the capitol guns are, but not neccessarily how they look) because I'm still looking for way to reduce face count and if I (or someone else) can design a low face count gun that looks the part and serves the purpose I'm willing to give it a try. Any takers?