Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    mverta wrote: »
    Yes, I export a UV map for each object, and texture in Photoshop on top of the UV map. I stitch photos together, clone, etc...

_Mike

where do you find your "Star Wars" photos ... do you use photos from the original models or do you just have a huge photo archive and make them look like SW? :)

Sorry for my dumb questions ... I'm a semipro Photographer but I'm an absolutely amateur hobbyist in 3D and 3D Texturing/Mapping ... I'm learing :)

Greets

Chris :)
  • mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    Well in this case, most of R2's textures came from photos of R2 himself. Ordinarily, I use any of several terrabytes of photos for my textures.. just tons of stuff, doors, airplane wreckage, rusty pipes, a huge variety. If there's an art to texturing, it comes from being able to see things like the bottom of last night's dinner pan as the source for, say, concentric anisotropic rings on a bearing.

_Mike
    Thank you very much for your explainations ... very helpfull for me :)

Greets

• JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    SideBySide_1.jpg

_Mike

This post / image more than any of the others really shows how great a model/render your R2 really is! This has been a very cool thread to follow for all the little stories about the ranch and all the great tips as well! :thumb:
    So, thanks again for sharing it all with use here!

ps. your entry at the CGSphere is very a very good use of your R2 as well. ;)

--Jeff
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    And by no perfection, I mean no perfection. There are no perfect edges, no perfect symmetries, no perfectly flat surfaces, no perfect angles. Everything is slightly misaligned; I usually do that post-modeling stage 1, but not always. Again, if your entire model is precise in a way that no real-world object ever is, you're already handicapping yourself.

That's very interesting... I'll think about it

I just have one question: on your comparaison picture, the "arms" (I mean the two blue things on front of the body, not the legs) look a bit different from the real R2. Yours seem to have sharper edges, where they make an angle inside. How come? how could you miss that? (or maybe the R2 you used as reference was different)
    Yes, the R2 I used had different arms. No two R2s are alike, with tons of frustrating differences if you're looking for the "definitive" set of measurements: there is none. They're all pretty close, but... Lucasfilm's only stipulation, once it was agreed that I was going to re-do my R2, was that everything on him must be identical to some R2, somewhere in the archives. I had access to the blueprints, 3 originals, and a set of digital calipers, so it wasn't that difficult.

_Mike

Dr. Jones wrote: »
    That's very interesting... I'll think about it

I just have one question: on your comparaison picture, the "arms" (I mean the two blue things on front of the body, not the legs) look a bit different from the real R2. Yours seem to have sharper edges, where they make an angle inside. How come? how could you miss that? (or maybe the R2 you used as reference was different)
  • CraigletCraiglet0 Posts: 0Member
    Mike... awesome work and very interesting stories and philosophies too. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm glad your talents are being rewarded. Your attention to detail is fanatical -- I love it! Keep up the mindblowing work.
    Excellent work Mike, by the way have you got any new music that you can allow us to listen to :)
    Most of my music is owned by studios and networks, and I don't get much access to it outside of snippets for my reels, but here's the score I composed for the Star Wars parody fanfilm Return of Pink Five - which makes it sssooorrrrtttta on-topic for this thread, I guess. It's both tongue-in-cheek and legit... and it was fun.

Main Titles and Stacy and DD Hit it Off
    A Jedi's Burden and The Space Battle
    Furry Friends and The Forest Battle
    Yoda's Big Idea and End Credits

All tracks (C) 2006 Mike Verta / Tudor-Ford Music (BMI)

_Mike
  • DarthMayaDarthMaya0 Posts: 0Member
    I really liked the songs Mike. I guess I am one of the few teenagers who would rather a movie score then a rock song....
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    do u have any more r2 renders u can post? its frikkin awesome work!!! (and maybe another nacelles shot?) :D
    Well... I mean, I didn't have anything specific to render for right now... is there something you were hoping to see (that doesn't have nacelles)? I mean, are you looking for a desktop wallpaper or something?

_Mike
    Yeah, just wallpapers and stuff, nothing really in particular, just...wallpapers, ya know...:D
    thanx!!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Every render so far is a cool desktop image :)

The image posted in the visual dictionary, are you allowed to post a hi-res version of that? Would also make a great desktop.

Also would be great and very much appreciated to see the make-up of the texture maps, would you mind breaking down and displaying the layers (for the dome for instance)?

Many thanks,

Paul.
    Because Maxwell uses a physically-based approach, they're very simple...

R2_Maps.jpg

And that's it. Drop Reflectance (Color) onto the reflectance channel, drop surface roughness map onto its channel, and bump onto its channel.

_Mike
    Wiz wrote: »
    Every render so far is a cool desktop image :)...

i HAVE all the renders posted so far!!! I need MORE!!!!! :D :D :D :D
    Awesome, thanks Mike.

I am tossing and turning with MR at the moment, so many bloody settings to play with, argghh.... But its all a learning process (well thats what I keep telling myself anyway ;))

I had a quick look at Maxwell, seems quite cool, and appears to be a lot easier to use than Mental ray (more user friendly), especially after reading what you have had to say about it.

Although having said that looking at Mental Ray in Max 9 they appear to have simplified it somewhat (finally) making it easier to use (from what I have read and seen so far - video tuts etc.).

I especially like the fact now that you dont have to wait for all the calculations to taken place before it shows you anything in the render window, very much akin to Maxwell(?) should save a lot of time.

Cheers,

Wiz.
    I was a mental ray user for years and years and years, and believe me, you couldn't get me to go back to that engine now if you put a Winchester to my junk. Have fun. :D

_Mike
  • DarthMayaDarthMaya0 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for the pics of the maps Mike. :D
    LOL... thats it.

Gonna start saving my pennies and get me Maxwell :D

For now though persistence will be the virtue (or madness, one or the other).

:lol:
    Wiz wrote: »
    LOL... thats it.

Gonna start saving my pennies and get me Maxwell :D

For now persistence will be the virtue (or madness, one or the other).

Im still trying to figure out the demo b4 i spend any money on the real thing. so far, i am impressed with the little i understand about maxwell :D
    I'll be doing a basic materials demo pretty soon, which will help. Most people are really surprised when they see how it actually works.

_Mike
    Ooooh sweet!!! Looking forward to seeing that!

Will get the demo version for now and will and be ready to go!

:)

Cheers,

Wiz.
    I'll be doing a basic materials demo pretty soon, which will help. Most people are really surprised when they see how it actually works.

_Mike

Thank you very much ... I'm pulling my hair out with MR material system ;)

Greets

Yeah tell me about it, its like a minefield...

Glad to hear it isnt just me being a stupid (long term) newb with MR :)
    Might drink less beer now hehe... :p

Mike, are ILM planning any further usage of your excellent R2?

Wouldnt suprise me in the slighest if Mr. Lucas replaces EPI/EPII and the EPIII R2 with yours for future re-releases of the films ;)

Cheers,

Paul.
    ILM itself doesn't have the model - I was hired for a Lucasfilm gig, not through or by ILM for this particular job. And the Ranch is nowhere near ILM, either... In truth, it's not like they couldn't do it themselves, they just haven't, as yet. In any case, I've never been contacted about doing/submitting R2 for any future projects, but you just never know... It's certainly ready to go, though it wouldn't fit in a Renderman pipeline as it is.

_Mike
    or all of them :)
    ILM itself doesn't have the model - I was hired for a Lucasfilm gig, not through or by ILM for this particular job. And the Ranch is nowhere near ILM, either... In truth, it's not like they couldn't do it themselves, they just haven't, as yet. In any case, I've never been contacted about doing/submitting R2 for any future projects, but you just never know... It's certainly ready to go, though it wouldn't fit in a Renderman pipeline as it is.

_Mike

Hmmm ... didn't ILM made a CG R2 for Episode 3? ... for me R2 looks very CG in EP3 but ... ya know ... eyes are lieing ;)

Greets

I mean, ILM doesn't have THIS model. They sure as shit used a CG R2 in Ep3 and it makes me cringe. Makes a lot of people cringe, I'll bet. Especially the dynamics used in his animation, like he weighs about 20 pounds. Let me tell you, I have a couple of full-size R2's in my house and he weighs about 200 pounds. If you shot him out of a spaceship like that, it'd be a real problem. So silly.

_Mike

P.S. Actually, come to think of it, I could easily rig up a dynamics sim of my R2 at 200 pounds and see what it really would look like. Might do that sometime.
    You have serveral R2's? Sweet :) did you build these yourself? Any photos to show?

Yeah the one in EP3 was rather disapointing, not that I could do better (yet ;)).

Its mad to think that they couldnt see for themselves what was wrong with the R2 in the shots, especially when viewed on the big screen, Its not like they dont have the talent there to do a better job...

LOL... scarily just flicking the tv remote and AOTC is on sky/cable now,
    oh god its the flying R2...

<scrambles for the remote>

Wiz.
    I mean, ILM doesn't have THIS model. They sure as shit used a CG R2 in Ep3 and it makes me cringe. Makes a lot of people cringe, I'll bet. Especially the dynamics used in his animation, like he weighs about 20 pounds. Let me tell you, I have a couple of full-size R2's in my house and he weighs about 200 pounds. If you shot him out of a spaceship like that, it'd be a real problem. So silly.

_Mike

P.S. Actually, come to think of it, I could easily rig up a dynamics sim of my R2 at 200 pounds and see what it really would look like. Might do that sometime.

I know I know ... yours is 300 tons better ;) ... IMO ILM should give you a job ;)

Greets

Chris

PS: now eating and then sleeping ;)