Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DR2-D2 (Artoo Detoo)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    would they flip it i suggested adding a sonic screwdriver? :devil:
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    :lol: that pretty funny. I say add the sonic screwdriver!
  • al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    LOL...now R2 can realy fly..:)
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    al3d wrote: »
    LOL...now R2 can realy fly..:)

yep ... with warp 9 :lol:

Greets

Chris :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Does he have a cloak? :lol: lmaoo- you've totally made my day!! :D
  • TovetteTovette5 Posts: 13Member
    That's a great render of R2. And the nacelles are hillarious. :p How long was your render?
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Holy crap on a stick, u do realise now that anyone out there who is modelling R2 stands no chance of following this...

I hope you are thoroughly ashamed of youself... ;)

Great renders matey, the detail you are going down to on this fella is awe inspiring, really is cool.

Anymore R2 movies/anim tests planned?

:)

Wiz.
  • mvertamverta171 Posts: 0Member
    Wiz wrote: »
    Holy crap on a stick, u do realise now that anyone out there who is modelling R2 stands no chance of following this... Wiz.

Actually, my hope is that someone comes along who puts mine to shame, and then I have to go and try and beat them. That's how this all started; I saw Billy Brooks' CG R2 in Ep. 1 and I couldn't believe how good it was, so I set out to beat it. Once you see what someone is capable of -especially if it exceeds what you believed was possible- you have a clear goal to meet or exceed. And in the end, you get better for trying.

And as it is right now, I still have a ton of things I want to do/am doing to R2. Things I put in my column of "Now if you really wanted to do this right, how far would you go?"

_Mike
  • DarthMayaDarthMaya0 Posts: 0Member
    How can you add to that???? Textures that are physically accurate through a microscope?:D

Nick
    Well, the next level would be things like actual surface displacement for all the nicks, dirt clumps, etc. Plus I could manually tweak all the surface geometry even more for more randomness, and variety of the fillets. Even the renders themselves could go to another level by adding optical distortion and glare/artifcats, both of which I could do now, just didn't. It's not that the list is long, it's that its the really specific stuff, where I believe the last 5% of photoreal exists.

_Mike

edit---That was not making fun of you, I am just amazed at how much detail you put into it.
    :D

Nick
    One thing I've learned is that the eye sees incredibly minute detail, even in a render, even at a distance. Our B.S. detectors are insanely accurate, with access to a lifetime's worth of comparative imagery stored up in the brain. The difference between my latest R2 renders and identical renders without all the surface panels bent and misplaced and asymmetrical is almost too significant to believe. But it makes all the difference. There isn't one piece of precision anything on R2. I pulled everything out of place, rotated, misaligned, bent, etc. It's truly a huge part of the process; taking out all the things our precision computers put in by default; precision that doesn't exist in the real world. And there's certainly a whole level or two (or ten) beyond what I've done that it could use.

_Mike
    Thats cool, I will keep that in mind when I model stuff.

Nick
    R2_New_12.jpg

Artoo gets his 3rd leg...

_Mike
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    wow ... amazing work

looks very real

Greets

Chris :)
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    Very nice... remember this one. The fact that you "displaced" some of the panel faces -really- increases the realism atleast hundred fold... Very nice shaders too. Guess the node tree for those are filled with funky operators =)
    The shader "trees" are about as basic as it gets, actually. Another advantage to Maxwell is its simplicity - these materials are only a fraction of the complexity of their mental ray counterparts, needing only a few controls.

_Mike
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    mverta wrote: »
    Actually, my hope is that someone comes along who puts mine to shame, and then I have to go and try and beat them. That's how this all started; I saw Billy Brooks' CG R2 in Ep. 1 and I couldn't believe how good it was, so I set out to beat it. Once you see what someone is capable of -especially if it exceeds what you believed was possible- you have a clear goal to meet or exceed. And in the end, you get better for trying.

And as it is right now, I still have a ton of things I want to do/am doing to R2. Things I put in my column of "Now if you really wanted to do this right, how far would you go?"

_Mike

Yeah know what you mean, your work has pushed me to keep improving and learning (albeit at an extremely slow pace), seeing what you have achieved and continuing to achieve keeps me striving to improve my own work and hopefully get better :)

Anyway back to Max and on I go!

:)

Wiz.
  • aszazerothaszazeroth176 Posts: 209Member
    mverta wrote: »
    The shader "trees" are about as basic as it gets, actually.

Sounds like a good reason to give the ol' Maxwell a try then... :) Better put in a request form Monday ....
    That looks fantastic mike. Soooooooooo you gonna make 3po next??? :D
    The thought of that gives me an enormous headache. I don't think I can deal with that just yet. :) Months of reference collecting aloneOhGOD... that's so depressing.

So, maybe one day, yeah.

_Mike
    LOL O.k cool theres a possibility. :D
  • Dr. JonesDr. Jones0 Posts: 0Member
    nice photo.
    This blue metal looks just perfect
    Congrats on the header!
  • JeffrySGJeffrySG321 Posts: 477Member
    latest updates look amazing, Mike (of course) ;)

and Congrats on the Header!

--Jeff
  • SprySpry0 Posts: 0Member
    Awesome work Congrats on the Header.

So you're using the Maxwell Renderer? Some of the stuff that that spits out is mighty impressive and I must say your R2 is no different :)
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Nice addition of the third leg and congratulations on the header. Well deserved for this hyper-realistic model!
  • Bug 2000Bug 2000171 Posts: 0Member
    What a great comeback Mike, and a very well deserved header.

Take care, mate.

P.S.: Now as Nick (aka DarthMaya) said, all R2-D2 needs is his friend C3-PO. :D
    Bug 2000 wrote: »
    What a great comeback Mike, and a very well deserved header.

Take care, mate.

P.S.: Now as Nick (aka DarthMaya) said, all R2-D2 needs is his friend C3-PO. :D

Sorry mike I think I started something......:D

Nick
  • Prime_8Prime_80 Posts: 0Member
    some one need to interpret all those chirps and beeps