Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTiny Trek Issue 03 - WIP

• ashleytingerashleytinger2017 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Lizzy777 wrote: »
    Oh, hey! Backstory! Sweet!

Well I wasn't going to leave her animosity towards Blaise that open ended. ;)
    Yep, loving the backstory. Also, I really like how you did Avril's quarters. Just by what I can see in the room, I can tell she plays guitar and she loves excellent 20th century cinema. That's a relief, given how many people in the 23rd/24th century seem to ignore 20th century literature and arts. You have to figure more people would like the classics from that century, but it rarely pops up. Also, knowing that movie, it's fitting to have that poster and the UFP banner on the wall, given that Klaatu was a from a galactic civilization similar to the UFP. And, it never hurts to have that callback to that movie, which was directed by Robert Wise, who also directed TMP. So, I love the layers of depth you showed when including that poster. And, she has a bat'leth, possibly a trophy won in battle. Very nicely done. I also like the Starfleet T-shirts.

Yup. That was part of the reason I picked Day the Earth Stood Still. The original is also one of my favorite films.

Her quarters decorations include:
    Photo of her and her parents before she left for the Academy (her homeworld was attacked by the Klingons shortly after)
    A Galaxy Quest film poster (in joke but I also think she'd genuinely love the film and I choose to believe it exists in trek)
    A model of the Edmonton (previous command kicked around by the Orions)
    Day the Earth Stood Still film poster (her mother's favorite film as well)
    The UFP flag recovered from her homeworld after they took it back from the Klingons (she is human but she lived in a colony world)
    A bat'leth she received after besting the Klingon warrior near her home in hand to hand combat (he died shortly after giving it to her for beating him)
    The amp and guitar from her home (was her dad's but she's learned to play)
    Starfleet Certified Coffee Dispenser (yes, it's a TOS version of a Keurig and she's a coffee hound)

She opted not to put anything near her bed so she can try and actually sleep without too many distractions.

The t-shirts and pants are what I'm using as standard issue PJs for the crew. I wanted to keep it simple (not all of them use those). I have a very VERY well worn version of that t-shirt in blue that says Star Trek on it instead of Starfleet.

evil_genius_180Lizzy777scifieric
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Yup. That was part of the reason I picked Day the Earth Stood Still. The original is also one of my favorite films.

It's one of the best Sci-Fi films ever, and a true high watermark of 1950s Sci-Fi cinema. Plus, thanks to Strange New Worlds, we know Christopher Pike likes it as well. :)
    Lizzy777ashleytingerscifieric
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    Wow, haven't seen "Day the Earth Stood Still" and didn't know about the connections to Star Trek. If this is some sort of meta commentary about Star Trek history, how about a second movie poster from "Forbidden Planet"? Rumor tells that this is the film Roddenberry was inspired by for Star Trek.
    ashleytingerscifieric
    I highly recommend The Day the Earth Stood Still. The original, starring Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal. If you've already seen that one and you've got nothing else to do in an afternoon, maybe the Keanu Reeves remake. Though, I think I'd just watch the original again in that instance. ;)

As for Forbidden Planet, sure it's got a couple minor connections to Star Trek. :tongue: The C-57D is from the "United Planets." The ship's control room is circular and has basically the same color scheme as the Enterprise. The ship decelerates from lightspeed at 17:01 and the crew steps into a dematerializer to do it. (maybe looks like a transporter) There's a position called the Astrogator, which is part of the helm on the Enterprise. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Astrogator The main party that goes to greet Dr. Morbius at his home consists of the ship's commander, XO and doctor. You can probably make more connections. It obviously had an influence on Star Trek. It's another favorite of mine.
    ashleytingerscifieric
  • PheylanPheylan528 Posts: 92Member
    It obviously had an influence on Star Trek.

Yeah, Commander Adams' personality almost seemed like a prototype for Kirk's. The two were similar in so many ways.

And spoiler alert....he even got the girl in the end.

ashleytingerscifieric
    Pheylan wrote: »
    It obviously had an influence on Star Trek.

Yeah, Commander Adams' personality almost seemed like a prototype for Kirk's. The two were similar in so many ways.

And spoiler alert....he even got the girl in the end.

Agreed. He's a very similar character.
    ashleytingerscifieric

It's one of the best Sci-Fi films ever, and a true high watermark of 1950s Sci-Fi cinema. Plus, thanks to Strange New Worlds, we know Christopher Pike likes it as well. :)

YESSS. I loved seeing that soooo much!
    wibble wrote: »
    Wow, haven't seen "Day the Earth Stood Still" and didn't know about the connections to Star Trek. If this is some sort of meta commentary about Star Trek history, how about a second movie poster from "Forbidden Planet"? Rumor tells that this is the film Roddenberry was inspired by for Star Trek.

Definitely check out the original Day the Earth Stood Still. It's a hallmark of scifi. Great story and the effects for the time were great. The practical effects they did to make the ship seamless still hold up for the most part. The remake is all flash and while the effects are great completely misses the mark.

Forbidden Planet is not my favorite film. I didn't get to see it until I was an adult and just has never captured my fascination like Day did. I can definitely see the inspiration in Trek, Babylon 5 in some of its concepts, and even some of the effects work making its way over to Star Wars. None of the characters really engaged me though. As a kid I'd have LOVED Forbidden Planet, but older me needs a character to latch on to to get me involved more.

evil_genius_180wibblescifieric
    I think I was a teenager the first time I saw Forbidden Planet. I love it, but I can understand others not caring for it. As for the effects, they actually got an animator from Disney to do the animated effects. That's why they're top notch. Another thing they did that really helps the film stand out against most of the B movies of the decade is that they found a clever way to get more money from the studio. Rather than blow through all their money building a few sets and then going to the studio for more money, they half built all of their sets and then told the studio they could either give the production more money or forfeit the money that had already been put into it. That worked, which is why Forbidden Planet kind of stands out against a lot of other movies in terms of production values.
    ashleytinger
    I think I was a teenager the first time I saw Forbidden Planet. I love it, but I can understand others not caring for it. As for the effects, they actually got an animator from Disney to do the animated effects. That's why they're top notch. Another thing they did that really helps the film stand out against most of the B movies of the decade is that they found a clever way to get more money from the studio. Rather than blow through all their money building a few sets and then going to the studio for more money, they half built all of their sets and then told the studio they could either give the production more money or forfeit the money that had already been put into it. That worked, which is why Forbidden Planet kind of stands out against a lot of other movies in terms of production values.

I don't necessarily hate it and I can totally get why people like it, just never clicked with me. I love stories of filmmakers getting one over on teh studios to realize their vision. ;)
    evil_genius_180
    I love stories of filmmakers getting one over on teh studios to realize their vision. ;)

Yeah, the special features on my Blu-Ray are full of all kinds of cool stories.
    dg6inpr-9abc54d7-99d9-4e70-a2f5-458f1b6ab05c.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGc2aW5wci05YWJjNTRkNy05OWQ5LTRlNzAtYTJmNS00NThmMWI2YWIwNWMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.hz0pGCuTs-7LCVH8hivzoUIP_NK-bqAl5YEb1T6Zv9g

StarCruiserLizzy777Rory1707scifiericwibbleStarrigger
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771265 PNWPosts: 758Member
    Every time Star Fleet arrives on a planet after a dispute has been resolved amicably without their assistance, something goes boom and a crew member is kidnapped.
    evil_genius_180scifieric
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
    So, they didn't have long range coms to tell Starfleet that their presence is no longer needed? I agree with Lizzy777, there's likely more to be done here, but a com call would have stopped the ship from "wasting" a trip.
    Lizzy777scifieric
    Every time Star Fleet arrives on a planet after a dispute has been resolved amicably without their assistance, something goes boom and a crew member is kidnapped.

Everyone assuming the absolute worst ;)
    So, they didn't have long range coms to tell Starfleet that their presence is no longer needed? I agree with Lizzy777, there's likely more to be done here, but a com call would have stopped the ship from "wasting" a trip.

True, but they were only three days out at that point. And there might be something else at work... ok maybe people aren't entirely paranoid... :P

Lizzy777Starrigger
    Everyone assuming the absolute worst ;)

It comes from having seen a lot of Star Trek. :lol:
    Lizzy777
    dg8lp80-e46b121e-2f78-4dfa-b483-d3e2ab94e28d.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGc4bHA4MC1lNDZiMTIxZS0yZjc4LTRkZmEtYjQ4My1kM2UyYWI5NGUyOGQuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.b7_6lKrRYiodooZC3DhEXfB0QtLqCNHxnzlUwUFSJ04

StarCruiserRory1707Lizzy777evil_genius_180wibblescifieric
    dg9t6y0-afe127c2-ff38-4717-8d09-607e511979a9.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGc5dDZ5MC1hZmUxMjdjMi1mZjM4LTQ3MTctOGQwOS02MDdlNTExOTc5YTkuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0._6isbFM_cLK3uXF5Y6y4_OeNIRQhC76eyBIMInc-ZAo

Lizzy777StarCruiserevil_genius_180Rory1707wibble
    What would a Starfleet captain want whose sentimentality is centered around her family, her career, her crewmates, and her ship...

Oh! I know! A pair of glasses!
    ashleytingerscifieric
    It will be interesting to see what she picked out. :)
    scifieric
    What would a Starfleet captain want whose sentimentality is centered around her family, her career, her crewmates, and her ship...

Oh! I know! A pair of glasses!

Normally for a Captain her age I'd recommend Retinax V.
    It will be interesting to see what she picked out. :)

Indeed! ;)

dgcuprb-2b7103ef-f3f2-462c-aba0-277de5df089e.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGdjdXByYi0yYjcxMDNlZi1mM2YyLTQ2MmMtYWJhMC0yNzdkZTVkZjA4OWUuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.m7giey5ABOvSrZ6b7tUYpDSEq75Qv_ER2r-iyZgs4Y8

evil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777wibbleRory1707scifieric
    Romulans? No way... They're xenophobic isolationists! There are Klingons on one side and the Federation on the other. What would they want with some backwater planets on the ass-end of known space?
    ashleytinger
    Romulans? No way... They're xenophobic isolationists! There are Klingons on one side and the Federation on the other. What would they want with some backwater planets on the ass-end of known space?

They are the green-blooded chaos goblins of the quadrant...

dgag8qk-4016f544-85ad-43f9-9c59-7e3296388b6c.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGdhZzhxay00MDE2ZjU0NC04NWFkLTQzZjktOWM1OS03ZTMyOTYzODhiNmMuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.HRIdk6h50NsAv3vkFrghGFzL12HPAQt8X72VWnHp1SE

wibbleRory1707StarCruiserLizzy777evil_genius_180scifieric
    Gotta love the reference to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." And, if you're talking about the 1978 remake, there's a nice ST connection in the cast.
    scifieric
  • wibblewibble1145 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 511Member
    "The Constitution Revitalization Program"?
    Does that mean the Refit Enterprise is being built in earth spacedock at the moment?
    scifieric
    Gotta love the reference to "Invasion of the Body Snatchers." And, if you're talking about the 1978 remake, there's a nice ST connection in the cast.

Fun fact, my first experience with Body Snatchers was the one with Gabrielle Anwar and I didn't see the 78 version until about 6 years ago. =)
    wibble wrote: »
    "The Constitution Revitalization Program"?
    Does that mean the Refit Enterprise is being built in earth spacedock at the moment?

No. We're in 2265, but if we go by various sources, the Enterprise and the Connie was built starting in 2245, so she's a 20 year old class at this point. You figure it took 10-ish years to design the Galaxy class and the Connie then becomes a design from 2235, so really it's a thirty year old design. Belmont, like her namesake, Lucille Ball, saw the beauty and brilliance in the design (I mean she basically kept Star Trek and Mission Impossible going at the expense of her own studio), and she's pushed for a refit of the design or an overhaul rather than them starting from scratch and it's a way to honor and project this image of the strength of Starfleet that's been at the front for decades now.

Refit planning doesn't happen overnight, so they're already going over designs and plans for a massive overhaul based on new tech they're developing and have put in a bit into the Aries and the other Zodiac class ships. The Phase II version of the Connie might show up at some point (not the Enterprise) and I do have a plan for a one-off refit with the Challenger which is going to be another hero ship at a much later date as a possible direction they'd go, but the TMP refit and a variation of the TMP uniforms is coming eventually (we're like 5-7 years off in canon and a LONG way off in Tiny Trek).

wibble

Fun fact, my first experience with Body Snatchers was the one with Gabrielle Anwar and I didn't see the 78 version until about 6 years ago. =)

I've never seen that one. I've seen the 1956 original, the 1978 remake and the "bleh" remake from 2007 with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. (no pods, just a disease that was curable) My favorite is the 1978 remake. Though, I also like the 1956 original. It's actually interesting that I like the remake better, given that I tend to go more towards the originals with a lot of "B" movies that have remakes. The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, to name a few.
    ashleytinger

I've never seen that one. I've seen the 1956 original, the 1978 remake and the "bleh" remake from 2007 with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. (no pods, just a disease that was curable) My favorite is the 1978 remake. Though, I also like the 1956 original. It's actually interesting that I like the remake better, given that I tend to go more towards the originals with a lot of "B" movies that have remakes. The Thing from Another World, War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, to name a few.

The one with Anwar didn't have a huge budget but a lot of great actors and it just worked for me. I was 17 when it came out, I think?
    evil_genius_180
    I looked it up and it came out in May of 1993. I was 14 at the time. Though, I literally only just heard of this movie. It had a $13million budget, which is very modest for a Sci-Fi/Horror film of the time and it was a box office flop. It seems like some critics liked it, others didn't, but it has a respectable 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. It seems like a lot of critics liked the characterizations, no doubt due to the writing and that strong cast. Roger Ebert considered it to be the best of the (then) three adaptations of the novel.

I may see if I can find it streaming somewhere, as I'm now curious about it.
    ashleytinger
    dgbmq0l-d0d16e52-d0d4-4b00-a553-842654f8ff09.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ZhYzQ1MmE2LTBiYTMtNGIzYS05MTE1LTQ5NWM4NjAxYTc3M1wvZGdibXEwbC1kMGQxNmU1Mi1kMGQ0LTRiMDAtYTU1My04NDI2NTRmOGZmMDkuanBnIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.tF8m8aYoHnF5QxEZHlZK0z4c9TCCCkxVoPVd39-bmsA

wibbleStarCruiserevil_genius_180publiusrscifiericRory1707Lizzy777
  • Capt. Eric GardnerCapt. Eric Gardner339 Posts: 109Member
    ...lovely assets...
    publiusrashleytinger