May as well start a thread going for this. Early days yet, but since there are no plans worth even glancing at available on the net, I have started off by doing some painstaking photo matching, and a little photogrammetry. I could not reconcile the various photos perfectly, so this will have to be my best possible compromise plus a good helping of Mk.1 Eyeballing. That said, I intend it to be the most accurate version of this ship to date by some margin.
I built up a very rough model to check my general proportions etc, and I am now developing on from there, so some areas are very rough still. Also just focusing on the silhouette at this stage, and most work has been on the upper wings so far. Lumpiness and wobbliness elsewhere to be expected at this point. The interface between the wings and the nacelles looks likely to be the trickiest aspect of this - very very rough for the moment. May completely change my approach to that area yet.
Another of Probert's designs that have withstood 33 years.
Never was a fan of those blocky protrusions behind the head though. Like some Romulan shipyard worker found out he forgot to put in 20% of the rooms after the ship was built
I think that's all the main features that I want to include in the base sub-d cage, so the next task is to merge all the bodies together and blend them correctly.
I have finished merging and blending the nacelles into the hull object, and also corrected and refined the shape of the nacelle. So I think I'm pretty much done with the engines now, aside from detailing them later.
So I think this stage of modelling is now done. One or two minor adjustments needed for things I've just spotted, but essentially I'm ready to move on. Might try adding some extra detail to the head first though. Don't want to overdo it at this stage as it will be all to easy to mess up the smooth curves there.
Probably difficult to see much difference here, but this area was the main focus of work this time around. Blended the 'wing' body into the 'head' body, which mainly meant this long neck projection and the trailing flick-up from the head. Refined the shape of the head flick, so it's a little more chiselled now.
I've been spending time laying out all the various grid lines - I now have the entire feather grid pattern prepared in spline form. Just putting in the key ones for the moment, which starts with the top 'hump' panels and the deflector recessed area on the head.
That is looking fantastic!!!
Head detailing is done for now! Just a few greeble areas to fill later, and of course the windows....
Back to the feather grids I think - inner upper wing surface now complete. I'll come back and add in the spinal structures later.