Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DExcelsior Class

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    That looks gorgeous so far. I see you're doing the Star Trek VI version.
    Viper
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    That looks gorgeous so far. I see you're doing the Star Trek VI version.

Yes, though it would not be hard to build the NX version. The changes are all mostly on the bridge superstructure and I think they just outright swap pieces that are easy to build.
    evil_genius_180
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Awesome modelling. Nice one.
    After about a week trying to figure out a way to build these panels in a way that wouldn't make me pull my non existing hair out, I finally made some good progress.

excelsior143.png
    excelsior145.png
    excelsior144.png
    ashleytingerrojrenevil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbletrekkiLizzy777publiusrBridger
    You did a great job on it. I've always figured that paneling was a nightmare to do.
    Viper
    Ok, a bit more work done on this. I don't think there are a lot more panels to cut now. A few remaining on engineering, some on the impulse deck and then there are the pylons. Hoping to have the modelling done by end of the next week, or at least the majority of it.

excelsior148.png
    excelsior149.png
    excelsior150.png
    excelsior151.png
    rojrenashleytingerevil_genius_180StarCruiserLizzy777trekkipubliusrwibbleBridger
    You're doing some beautiful work on this and progressing very quickly. The Excelsior class has always been on of my favorites.
    Viper
    I wanted to get the last few details in for the bridge superstructure. There are a lot of annoying stripes, but you really see how it all comes together. Not a lot more to go now.

excelsior158.png
    excelsior156.png
    excelsior157.png
    Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180wibbletrekkiStarCruiserMadKoiFishHunter GBridger
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2017 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    We need a drool button, not just a like button
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777
    edited August 2023 #41
    Quick lunch time update. Going over all the pieces that are left and fixing base shape for final detailing. I redid the nacelles and fixed some things on the neck and also added the tractor beams.

excelsior161.png
    excelsior163.png
    excelsior162.png
    Post edited by Viper on
    backsteptwibbleStarshipStarCruiserMadKoiFishevil_genius_180trekkilennier1ashleytingerHunter Gand 2 others.
    Yay, someone else who knows those aren't the torpedo launchers. :lol:
    Vipertrekkiashleytinger
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Looking nice and sharp. Loving it.
    Viper
    Slow progress this week. Just too much happening. But I managed to fix a couple of lingering issues on the saucer (phasers near the neck were in the wrong place and I was missing the blue rectangle plates)
    excelsior166.png

I also started to figure out how I'm going to do all the windows on the ship without going into despair. I think I came up with a good solution, though it might make things harder for UV mapping. Here's what I got so far:
    excelsior168.png
    excelsior169.png
    excelsior170.png
    evil_genius_180MadKoiFishashleytingerrojrenStarCruiserpubliusrLizzy777wibbleBridger
    I had to resize all the windows I had cut so far cause it wasn't making sense on engineering hull compared to the miniature. But I managed to get them all done today. Also added the photo torpedo launchers. There's only a few things missing now. I didn't hit my target of getting the modelling done this week, but I should be able to before the end of the month. Anyway, renders!

excelsior178.png
    excelsior177.png
    excelsior179.png
    trekkiwibbleevil_genius_180ashleytingerStarCruiserStarshipcool65Lizzy777Bridger
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    What a beauty!
    Viper
    Looking great. I'll bet aligning all of your window cutters to that shape was fun.
    Viper
    Looking great. I'll bet aligning all of your window cutters to that shape was fun.

The boring part was mostly just checking with the photos to see if my placement was correct. 3ds max has a tool to align objects on top of others so that was pretty much automatic.
    evil_genius_180
    Viper wrote: »

The boring part was mostly just checking with the photos to see if my placement was correct. 3ds max has a tool to align objects on top of others so that was pretty much automatic.

I hear you on the reference photos. Always so tedious.

That alignment tool sounds handy.
    Viper
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    Wow! There's something awe inspiring about seeing a clean model even before final textures are started.
    Viperwibble
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    edited August 2023 #51
    She looks a beauty Diogo!! B)
    Post edited by Starship on
    Viper
    Probably getting a bit ahead of myself here, but I've been curious as to how the textures will look. First pass:
    excelsior180.png
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserashleytingerwibbleLizzy777BridgerCptBenSisko
    A bit more texture work. Need to go back to modelling though. Still a few areas to finish.

excelsior188.png
    excelsior189.png
    trekkiwibbleStarCruiserevil_genius_180Lizzy777SCE2Auxcool65Bridger
  • SCE2AuxSCE2Aux1038 Posts: 202Member
    Beautiful work, Viper! I think because I grew up during TNG, I always saw the Excelsiors as second-tier designs, but seeing work like this lately has really made me appreciate how great the movie/lost era designs were.

Can't wait to see this lovely ship finished (along with the original NX variant!)
    Viper
    SCE2Aux wrote: »
    Beautiful work, Viper! I think because I grew up during TNG, I always saw the Excelsiors as second-tier designs, but seeing work like this lately has really made me appreciate how great the movie/lost era designs were.

I grew up on TNG also, but I actually fell in love with the Excelsior because of seeing it on that show.
    Viper
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    The Excelsior always look so much better next to the Galaxy class in TNG.
    Viper
    SCE2Aux wrote: »

Can't wait to see this lovely ship finished (along with the original NX variant!)

Thanks! I've always been a fan of the Excelsior because of ST:III and VI. Will be nice having it to play around :) I intend to do a recreation of that final shot in Undiscovered Country where the Enterprise and the Excelsior destroy the BoP.
    evil_genius_180Starship
    Finished the bridge and nav dome

excelsior192.png
    excelsior193.png
    trekkievil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777ashleytingerBridgerChris2005
    I've had a busy past few days, but today I managed to make some progress. I've been putting off the pylons so far, but I think I figured out how to do the necessary panels. Also, I realized that some of the panels there are raised which makes things much easier. Here's where I am at:
    excelsior196.png

And then here are a couple of space renders just for fun :)
    excelsior198.png
    excelsior199.png
    rojrenashleytingerStarCruiserevil_genius_180backsteptLizzy777trekki
    edited September 2023 #60
    I was away for a few days and then a lot happened this week but I found time to basically finish the modelling on the Excelsior. I'm sure that I missed some details but I'll probably catch those as I texture. The only thing I won't do right now is that cargo bay. Here's a few closeups of the areas I finished and then some overall renders.

excelsior207.png
    excelsior212.png
    excelsior216.png
    excelsior217.png

And the full ship renders:
    excelsior218.png
    excelsior219.png
    excelsior220.png
    excelsior221.png
    Post edited by Viper on
    trekkiStarCruiserMustang13Camaro68Lizzy777wibbleevil_genius_180ashleytingerMadKoiFishpubliusrseanr
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Exceptional work
    ViperCptBenSisko