Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DTMP Drydock

• Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Thank you all! :)

Here are some test renders of the travel pod in situ:

4k8opqw6jvdp.jpg

30cqs2j7007m.jpg

RekkertBrandenbergevil_genius_180xiaorobearLizzy777ashleytingerFreak
    Please visit my YouTube channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRhLEHgwgTKxsalM5YznYQ

Formerly furswift
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Very very cool. I love it.
    Warp Propulsion Laboratory
  • ViperViper1686 Posts: 717Administrator
    Very nice work :) I think the pod is maybe too white. Also, the blue paintjob on the Constitution is for the 1701-A. The original had the green paintjob.
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryevil_genius_180
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited February 2020 #65
    I love those images, they're very iconic.
    Viper wrote: »
    Also, the blue paintjob on the Constitution is for the 1701-A. The original had the green paintjob.

Good catch. Specifically, that blue is for Star Trek VI. The model was in really rough shape when they went to use it for that movie, so Bill George oversaw a major restoration. Most of the images you find of the ship are from after that restoration.
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Good catch. Specifically, that blue is for Star Trek VI. The model was in really rough shape when they went to use it for that movie, so Bill George oversaw a major restoration. Most of the images you find of the ship are from after that restoration.

The funny thing is that I far prefer the green version over the blue one. Green is rarely used in Federation ships so it makes it more unique. Also why I ended up using it for the Kusanagi as well.
    Viper wrote: »

The funny thing is that I far prefer the green version over the blue one. Green is rarely used in Federation ships so it makes it more unique. Also why I ended up using it for the Kusanagi as well.

I agree completely. In fact, I feel the ship looked its best in TMP. The colors worked great and, of course, the Aztec was at its strongest. But, they did the best they could with the restoration for TUC, since the ship had been repainted so many times that it was hard to find the original colors.
  • Warp Propulsion LaboratoryWarp Propulsion Laboratory913 BrooklynPosts: 322Member
    Thanks for the crits, guys. You raise an interesting point about the "Enterprise Teal" color. From what I understand this has vexed refit model makers for some time. I decided to run some tests to see how accurate my model's colors are.

Here is a screen shot from the movie. I took 5X5 samples of the color to get their HSB levels:

zc1oqjnydfvd.jpg

The hue value is the one I'm most interested in. The sample I took has a value of 226. It's worth noting that the spotlight has a slight red cast which will bias the results.

Here is my render:

jiakzsgncq4q.jpg

I took a sample from the same area and got a hue value of 220. This is actually closer to green than the movie shot; probably because my light doesn't have that red cast.

I needed more samples, so I took some from the engineering section.

The movie screenshot:

l4j366ufejb9.jpg

From my sample I got a hue value of 209. This is closer to green numerically and visually as well.

My render:

tos5qgazll02.jpg

My sample has a hue value of 212, which is a bit closer to blue to be sure. The dot next to where the pointer is pointing is the color from the same area of the movie screen shot. Pretty close in hue, if not value.

No modeler can claim 100% accuracy with color, especially when all we really have are movie stills to work with. And since light affects color every bit as much as pigment it makes it harder for sure, especially with a color that maddeningly hovers somewhere between green and blue. I know that the model was repainted for Undiscovered Country, so I took the 1701-A's photos with skepticism (especially the Christie's photos which were lit by flashbulbs and not studio lighting). That said I will experiment with making the engineering and neck teal a bit greener to see if I can get a little closer to what we see in the movie.

Lizzy777

Formerly furswift
    edited March 2020 #69
    I agree that no one can be 100% accurate and choices have to be made depending on taste. That said, the entire movie has a definite blue hue. After color correcting the image I got this:

0qljhm7pzlr7.jpg

Same thing on Wrath of Khan:

oj7cz71w5ajh.jpg

On my own version I made the green very strong. Eventually when I do the 1701-A I'll do the blue so I have a clear distinction between the two :)

In the end though, if you feel more comfortable with the blue, go ahead. Heck, make it purple if you want :tongue: I just felt like you were going for a very accurate look and would want to get the color a bit closer to the original model. But everything is always open to interpretation. Heck I made several changes to the Enterprise that were never on the originals because it made more sense to me. And my drydock is very different :)
    Post edited by Viper on
    Warp Propulsion Laboratoryscifieric
    Yeah, trying to get the colors exactly right with screenshots and model pics is an exercise in futility. You've definitely got to go with what looks best to your eye.
    So I changed the teal color, and frankly I'm pretty happy with it so I'll keep it. I may tweak it a bit more, but I don't want to get too carried away as there's still lots more work to do. I also realized I need to add more detail to the strongback. I kept a PSD with the blue hues for my likely 1701-A model.

rklfj3cm3ee9.jpg

1bm45far3k4g.jpg

Thanks for posting those color corrected pics, @Viper ! :)

scifiericLizzy777

Formerly furswift
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Beautiful work! Man, this is lovely.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Holy crap! This is amazing! Hard to tell your renders from the actual movie clips.
    furswift wrote: »
    So I changed the teal color, and frankly I'm pretty happy with it so I'll keep it. I may tweak it a bit more, but I don't want to get too carried away as there's still lots more work to do. I also realized I need to add more detail to the strongback. I kept a PSD with the blue hues for my likely 1701-A model.

Thanks for posting those color corrected pics, @Viper ! :)

No problem! The result looks great!
  • P5ych0p4thP5ych0p4th476 GermanyPosts: 341Member
    Great Work!

And man do I love that scene from TMP. It‘s just something you‘d never see in a modern movie out of fear, that it‘ll be boring.

But seeing that ship in all its glory; the details in the model and Kirks almost childlike joy in seeing it for the first time (say what you will, but Shatner can act)

It‘s just such a great sense of wonder about just the Idea of exploration of space itself. You don‘t really need anymore to inspire people. And it‘s sadly something that‘s missing almost entirely from modern day SciFi
    Thank you all for your kind words. Your encouragement keeps me going.

@P5ych0p4th TMP may not have had the most action or the fastest pace, but it's that sense of wonder and adventure that makes it my favorite Star Trek movie.

Work Bee

I've started modeling the work bee. This is a pretty low-poly model as the scene is already quite heavy and I'm not planning any extreme closeups for this craft; I plan to have more than a few buzzing around.

027iljb5p48l.jpg

w9t5fc10nttg.jpg

P5ych0p4thRekkertLizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180FreakBrandenberg

Formerly furswift
    Nice start on the Bee. :)
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    Very nice!
    Thank you!

I've textured the bee. Now it's time to make the mechanical arm sled and the cargo carrier.

t5dvucoe7mny.jpg

4arzo07rhhle.jpg

79z0cnx341tb.jpg

P5ych0p4thevil_genius_180FreakRekkertashleytingerLizzy777Brandenberg

Formerly furswift
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Nice Pics and a nice Mesh.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Nice workbee.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    That looks great and was very fast! :)
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2017 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    Honestly, you did a great job keeping that low poly. It looks great
    Thanks for the comments! :)
    Rekkert wrote: »
    That looks great and was very fast! :)

Thanks! Although in reality I posted the model pictures a couple of days after I made them. :)

Here are some wireframes if anyone is interested:

94td21cju0eh.jpg

xzi9x665li1x.jpg

And a render of the work bee in situ:

vqiok9aq0bb0.jpg

evil_genius_180FreakBrandenbergLizzy777

Formerly furswift
    That looks great. Are you going to do the manipulator arms and/or cargo pod attachment?
    That looks great. Are you going to do the manipulator arms and/or cargo pod attachment?

Yep! :)
    evil_genius_180

Formerly furswift
    Nice work :) Topology could use some work, but otherwise it looks good. I am also doing one, but I find this design super boring, so I haven't found the motivation to finish it yet. Hopefully soon :grimace:
  • DonnyDonny284 San Jose, CAPosts: 54Member
    edited March 2020 #88
    This is great stuff! I've been wanting to model the drydock/travel pod/workbee for years now, just haven't gotten around to it. Your work is inspiring! What modeling package do you use?
    Post edited by Donny on
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Great texture on that Bee. This is going to be SOME scene when you are done.
    Thank you for your comments, everyone! :)

Thank you very much @Donny ! I find your work inspiring too, especially your refit Enterprise warp core. I use 3ds Max and Corona Renderer.

Here are pics of the work bee with the mecharms. This is sort of an amalgam of Probert's design sketches and what I could make out from movie screenshots. I decided to have the arms hook up to the sides of the bee instead of making it one big sled. The arms and claws have been rigged for posing and animating. The materials aren't quite where I want them; I may come back to them later. I've also added some RCS thrusters that I forgot.

c00l8nmklkpy.jpg

ahu6u0bi6t48.jpg

ntv81quiu0lp.jpg

ashleytingerRekkertevil_genius_180P5ych0p4thLizzy777Brandenberg

Formerly furswift
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Very nice work. What software are you using for modeling and rendering?