Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

It's been 6 months since the migration...

GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
edited August 2019 in Site News #1
hzipp5qiorj6.gif

... things are running smoothly and everyone seems to be more or less settled in, so now seems like a good time to spend a moment asking What do you want?

Is there anything you particularly like? How about dislike? What would you like to see more of? What new features (or old features) would you like to see? Is there something that would totally make you visit more often? Is there something keeping you from visiting more often? Should we use more social media? Less social media? Did you even know we have a bunch of social media accounts? Do you only use the Discord? Do you want challenges? Video content? Live streaming? Podcasts? Reviews?

Basically, let us know, how we're doing, and what we should be doing instead. :)
Post edited by Guerrilla on
Comco: i entered it manually in the back end
Join our fancy Discord Server!
evil_genius_180Rekkert

• GuerrillaGuerrilla789 HelsinkiPosts: 2,865Administrator
    edited August 2019 #2
    Some interesting (well, to me) facts and figures:

678 members have been active on the forums, since the move.
    157 new registrations.
    44 46 spammers banned.
    3 spam messages have had to be cleaned up.
    0 reported posts.

219 active threads.
    Work in Progress perhaps unsurprisingly, the most active forum.
    7 model releases.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    1. I love that the forums have been revitalized and there's an active crew maintaining things again. :heart:
    2. I'm also very glad that the forum layout is still a forum layout. Too many sites (looking at you in particular, Blender Artists) have embraced this ultra-weird, unnavigable tile approach to a discussion forum that is supposed to look "slick" or whatever, but ends up just being hard to read. (I wrote a Tampermonkey script to turn that layout back into a regular forum layout, because it was so cumbersome to me).
    3. On the layout front, this is a tiny, tiny quibble, but a slightly more compact layout on the main forum overview page would be helpful (at least to me!). The header takes up a bunch of space, then the text title below the header that just repeats the header graphic logo in a less interesting way, and says "Welcome to our cool Science Fiction 3D Art Forum!", then the thick section banners, then the big gap between sections...it all ends up eating vertical space in a way that means when first landing on the page, I only see five forums and miss the other five unless I scroll down.
    4. I don't seem to receive e-mail notifications of my threads, despite having configured that in notification settings. That may not be a forum thing; it may just be my own e-mail server being finicky. Figured I'd mention it anyway.
    5. Any chance the signature character limit could be bumped up? I certainly understand the desire to not have signature messages grow to enormous sizes and eat up more vertical space! But right now, it feels very tight.
    6. This may be out of scope for this discussion, but there appears to be a tiny "bug" when switching back from Preview to Edit mode, where the text box will be the same size as the Preview window, but the actual Edit text content is much shorter, and sometimes entirely off-screen. Clicking into the box resizes it properly, so it's a very, very minor thing, but it's a thing all the same.
    7. Is there something that would totally make you visit more often? Is there something keeping you from visiting more often? Not really; I've visited pretty much daily, ever since I got the e-mail about the revamp having happened!
    8. Should we use more social media? Less social media? I find most social media integrations to be cumbersome and unhelpful, myself. If a site offers them, I usually go out of my way to ensure they're turned off in my settings, if that's an option, or configure browser-side blocks, if not!
    9. Did you even know we have a bunch of social media accounts? I did not! But knowing it doesn't really affect anything for me, so... :sweat_smile:
    10. Do you only use the Discord? Not at all, but the Discord has been hugely valuable (hm, does Discord count as social media? feels like chat systems are a different thing to me...) in not only helping me maintain motivation on my own projects, but also in getting excited about other people's projects, and just getting to know members of the community better.
    11. Do you want challenges? Not...yet? It might not ever be something I participate in, either, simply based on time available, but I know they can be pretty popular with folks inclined to pursue them.
    12. Video content? What sort of video content? Not really sure what form this would take, as a "regular feature" sort of thing. Video tutorials or something?
    13. Live streaming? Podcasts? These could be cool. I've thought a lot about live streaming my own modeling sessions to Twitch or similar, if anyone would find any value in that.
    14. Reviews? These could be cool, too; certainly one of the many great things about the Discord has been the presence of the #cg-tech-discussion, #cg-resources, and #inspiration channels for increasing overall awareness of helpful tools and resources that might not otherwise be known about.

TLDR, though, I'm really happy with the revamp and really happy that things have been revitalized around here!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804255 Posts: 11,034Member
    edited August 2019 #4
    I'm with @McC, the place looks great. I also love the forum layout, as opposed to some weird wannabe social media site. I've long been a fan of forums, and this was one of the first I ever joined. I was so thrilled to hear you had taken it over and that it had gotten some much needed TLC. I personally don't do social media, discord or any of that stuff.

By the way, I love the rotating banners. Whenever I hit the homepage or Recent Posts, I like to look at the top to see which one is up. :)
    Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Forum looks great and the layout perfect.
    I too don't really use Social Media. I only check Facebook and post links to my art there so friends and family can see it.

Like Chris I too love the rotating banners. I know it take time to create them, but I look forwards to seeing more version of it in the future.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    edited August 2019 #6
    Wots social media?

eh yeah, hah seriously do not use it. Forum seems to be fine with all the extras in and tuning done. Cannot think of anything to add that isnt small niggles that have been mentioned or I have not created with my client.

6months damn heh older you get just farting eats up a week it seems. . . . . .

wonder how many can see the animated hex pattern in the bg?
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    edited August 2019 #7
    McC wrote: »
    Any chance the signature character limit could be bumped up? I certainly understand the desire to not have signature messages grow to enormous sizes and eat up more vertical space! But right now, it feels very tight.

I bumped it up to 280. Hell, Twitter did it too. :tongue:
    McC
    edited August 2019 #8
    Is there anything that can be done about the thing where you eventually get logged off, even if you select "stay logged in?" I was on my way to work last night (on a bus, not using my phone while driving ;)) and I pulled up the site on my phone only to find out it had logged me off. I didn't have my password with me, nor remember it off the top of my head, so I couldn't post or anything until I got home this morning. :(
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Took me a few days to get the bearings right and adjust to the new layout, but after that I can really only agree with the others. It's nice.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    edited August 2019 #10
    It looks great and I am so glad the downloads are back. The one thing is the blue border takes up a lot of screen space. I agree about the stay logged in not working and I had to look around to find out how to edit, other than that, great job.
    Post edited by Lonewriter on
  • rojrenrojren2293 Louisville, Kentucky USAPosts: 1,968Member
    Everything that I've tried (Which is admittedly, not all that much) seems to work, and it's been quite a while since any unsupervised children with access to a pseudo-imitation jihadist design kit have hacked the site.

For me the main improvement is that the site is again being operated by people that are taking an active interest in the site. Thanks, by the way.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    Is there anything that can be done about the thing where you eventually get logged off, even if you select "stay logged in?" I was on my way to work last night (on a bus, not using my phone while driving ;)) and I pulled up the site on my phone only to find out it had logged me off. I didn't have my password with me, nor remember it off the top of my head, so I couldn't post or anything until I got home this morning. :(

This would honestly be my only complaint. I dislike having to login again but that might just be an expired cookie on my end. Everything else has been great.

• Lizzy777Lizzy7771249 PNWPosts: 754Member
    The only issue I have with the forum is the notification menu on the right-hand side. I click an icon and the pop-up is half off of the screen. I haven't tried it with any other browser than Chrome, and I'm using a 1440x900 rez monitor.

Other than that, it works like most other classic web forums. And that's good enough for me.
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    I'm really happy the forum got revitalized and the new life it's getting from new members. :)

I already listed my list of (very inconsequential) "issues" here, but those are very small and don't really affect my enjoyment of the site or visit habits.

As to what new or returning features I'd like to see, challenges are probably at the top of my list, but even that is by no means a "must have" in my book.

Regarding social media, I know it's there but I don't really care one way or the other. :p
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BoogerMcBoogerMc176 Posts: 243Member
    I've been away for a while, haven't had much time for 3D or any other recreational activities. Last few times I've popped in, things were a bit of a mess, but gotta admit, things look much better today as I've been browsing around. I do miss the subscribed threads option, or did I simply miss it somewhere? I will say, some of the older options made it much easier to navigate, such as the pull down list that directed you to various account options. Maybe a short "How to use the site" tutorial would be helpful to newcomers and us old timers that haven't been around for all the changes.
    edited August 2019 #16
    BoogerMc wrote: »
    I do miss the subscribed threads option, or did I simply miss it somewhere?
    You can click on the little star next to the thread. This little guy:
    wq7cu52kfzew.jpg
    Maybe a short "How to use the site" tutorial would be helpful to newcomers and us old timers that haven't been around for all the changes.

How about this. ;)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    Hey Gurrrilla,

My two immediate kudos are on
    1) There doesn't seem to be an image posting limit.
    2) I no longer get warnings from Norton that the site is dangerous. On this last one, there was a part of the site that I did get some kind of warning (It was somewhere in account preferences or thereabouts), but for this post, I couldn't seem to reproduce it - so maybe it is gone.
    edited August 2019 #18
    Oh. I also look forward to the rotating banners at the top.
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Almost all of those warning things from any watchdog group are false or poorly conceived as it relies on reports that are not verified. Known of people with websites who get a disgruntled visitor and they just report the site as a source of malware or bootlegged apps etc and it goes onto one blacklist and quickly spreads to all of these stupid lists as none of them verify anything. Not that sfm was not hacked and did not redirect to spam and exploit hosts etc. It was once blocked by norton and a few others just because it hosted google ads.

Really virus scanners are just malware.
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Site is okay, but would like to be able to change color schemes.
    Tralfaz wrote: »
    Site is okay, but would like to be able to change color schemes.

You can change the color scheme in your profile. There's three you can choose from. Mobile is only available in blue though.
    I wonder if it might be nice to have a thread where only orthos are published. A header saying, "Anything but orthos will be removed" or something.
    I wonder if it might be nice to have a thread where only orthos are published. A header saying, "Anything but orthos will be removed" or something.

Nothing saying you cant start one.
    edited August 2019 #24
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    Nothing saying you cant start one.

That implies that I can just start a thread anywhere. To me it belongs at the Finished work, Works in Progress level as another main heading in the box designated "Artwork"
    Uh you technically can. I would stick it in the Finished art if it is a final ortho set or a spec sheet sort of thing, or in WIP if it is a progress project. There is no rule I know of that restricts allowing others to post similar content in a thread either. Just invite others to do so in the OP post. Maybe expanding the prefix selections and tags to include say orthos, references, etc.

edited August 2019 #26
    I could be wrong, but I think Brandenberg is looking for a new sub forum to be created, not a thread. That's something only someone with admin privileges can do.
    edited August 2019 #27
    He says thread so it is what I am going with. Not gonna make assumptions. If it is then I dunno as all the forums are paring down on fragmentation, either case that is up to Guerrilla to decide then. I would think the existing sub-headers of WIP and finished work covers this. I would suggest a new prefix to be added to the drop downs.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    You're right, of course. He said "thread" and may have meant just that. In that case, as you said, anyone can do it. Just pop over to that forum where you want it, start it and ask one of the admins to pin it if you want it to be always at the top. Easy peasy.

I don't see the appeal personally, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily completely against the idea...
    That implies that I can just start a thread anywhere. To me it belongs at the Finished work, Works in Progress level as another main heading in the box designated "Artwork"

HOWEVER, I'm definitely not going to open new section for something, and wish it will pick up steam, especially in Artwork. I would approach it from the other end. Instead of opening up new sections and going "Post your [thing] in this fancy new section here", I would rather go "Wow, we sure are getting a lot of [thing] around here lately, how about we open up a new section for it". You know, promote things that are actually happening on the site, instead of wishing for them to happen.

Basically, if you want a section for your type of content, post a thread and then take care of it. If the thread does really well, maybe get some new tags (I'm constantly adding them, but trying to stick to pretty high level ones to keep them useful to everyone) and get it stickied. Once we're in the big thread territory and there's a notable activity going and a clear demand for more, we can consider opening up a new section for the thing.

This is actually a discussion we have on Discord on pretty regular intervals (adding sections, not orthos specifically), and so far I've been really stubborn about sticking my policy. :tongue:

As far as Orthos go, specifically, if you want people to post their own work, Finished Work is probably the best place for a thread. If you want people to post stuff they find, General Discussion is the place. Not too keen on the latter, as I'd much rather people posted their own work on the site, but I do realize that a lot of people like to collect stuff online and hen share it with others.
    edited August 2019 #30
    I think Guerrilla correctly heard me that I meant a sub forum. I used the wrong term (thread), so sorry for any confusion. His policy is probably the best idea. Start with a thread under finished work, and if it becomes popular - consider elevating it to a sub forum later. As implied, it might be nice to have ONE place to look for something like this, instead of all over the site in everyone else's threads. That was my thought.