Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Oberth Class

RizzoSpaceratRizzoSpacerat61 Posts: 0Member
edited August 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Hello,

i postet a long while ago my first ship, didn't work out, got frustrated and didn't post for a long time. New Job, move etc. Long time no time for Blender.

Now i started again and under some mysterious circumstances the Oberth Class became the first project which seems to go the way i want to. I think she got lucky because during her initial process it made kinda click in my head how modeling needs to be approaced to work for me.

So i decided its time for the first glimpse of here to show to others. She is far away from beeing finished but its a start i really like.

Update 1: Added Impuls Engines and lower View details and started detailing aft section

regards
Rizzo
110819.jpg
110820.jpg
110821.jpg
Post edited by RizzoSpacerat on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804572 Posts: 11,177Member
    It's looking great so far. At least you didn't get discouraged and tried again. Once you figure out a method that works for you, modeling gets a lot easier.
  • GestaltGestalt187 Posts: 166Member
    One of my favorite TMP-era craft. Looking great so far!
  • RizzoSpaceratRizzoSpacerat61 Posts: 0Member
    1st small update
  • wibblewibble1251 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 562Member
    ..., didn't work out, got frustrated and didn't post for a long time.

Ha, tell me about it. Trying to figure out the right modeling technique for years now, and am frustrated on a regular base. It's only now that I slowly get the feeling I am on the right track. Would you like to tell me a little bit about your modeling approach? Mabey I can pick up one or two things.

Your Oberth Is looking great so far. It's a very fascinating design and quite a challenge I imagine.
    @Wibble

I would like to share my Ideas, if you share yours ;-)

I learned a few bullet points that are true for me

1. Subdivide every problem that one can't solve as much as its necassary to be solvable. Meaning as much separate objects as necassary. My 1st tries had the idea to make the entire ship out of one block....its not managable, at least for me.

2. It must not be 100% right...is just needs to look that way. So a perfect mesh is not necassary to get the result ones want

3. Paper......i have a block of paper in front of me to understand basic structures before i start. I deleted meshes so often beause of simple mess up which could be solved if i would have drawn them up front on paper.

4. It must not be 100% according to image. At least for my purpose i don't need to be 100% accurate to the reference image. As its some sort of art, it allows for interpretation :-D. The block on the back of the ship is different from the series and all images i saw up until now...its my interpretation its not wrong....

5. Don't try to repair meshes which are to messed up...delete try again...the result is cleaner.

That's the few things i learned.

But even after hours the results may not be satisfactory.....

panels for example are a great nemesis to me.....i tried a lot on the saucer section on this weekend i still don't know if this looks good or not.....or if i should leave the paneling and try to solve it with a texture....

OBERTH5-4.jpg
    110824.jpg
  • [Irishman][Irishman]177 Posts: 117Member
    Great looking modeling, so far!! Very clean mesh!!
  • wibblewibble1251 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 562Member
    panels for example are a great nemesis to me.....i tried a lot on the saucer section on this weekend i still don't know if this looks good or not.....or if i should leave the paneling and try to solve it with a texture....

You are right these panels do look a bit strange. From what I can tell from screenshots the filming miniature didn't had panels on the saucer section. So maybe this design indeed works better without them.
    What you could try though is to intrude the gridlines instead of extrude the panels and add a un-tiled ring around the upper edge. Perhaps this will make the panels appear a bit more subtle.
    I would like to share my Ideas, if you share yours ;-)

I'm afraid I can't share much.
    Actually I was about to write a comment, but it took me longer than anticipated (basically because english isn't my native-language) and I'm a bit in a hurry right now. So maybe in one of the next evenings or the weekend. We will see.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Nice work... I love the Oberth!
  • GestaltGestalt187 Posts: 166Member
    Looking good! She's easily one of the more challenging trek ships to model IMO.

I can offer one point of constructive criticism regarding the grid on the saucer. When you are modeling a grid, always cut in the middle of a face and never at the edges. When you cut in the middle of the faces, it preserves the curve of the larger surface. When you cut at the edges, it exaggerates the differences between the panels and interrupts the curve of the overall form.
  • bbeltbbelt0 Posts: 0Member
    I would also recommend giving the saucer section more edge loops to help round off the edges more; other words, make it a higher resolution mesh. With out the grid lines, one probably wouldn't notice the the distinct edges but the with them, they make them stand out. I would also make the panels less prominent therefore the grid lines more subtle. The oberth does have them, but they are not as pronounced as with the Constitution class for example.
    Iam still working on the oberth but as i have to learn this texturing, shading, lightung etc. stuff, i decided i need a more simple object for this.

As the Oberth shall be part of a shipyard picture (in the long distant future :cool:) i made this container. It will be part of the Workbees floating around the shipyard.

On this i will now try myself in therms of shading and lighting and this stuff i have no clue about :D

containerpng.png
    110932.png