Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DRedemption scenario

DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
edited July 2015 in Finished Work #1
Here's another Star Wars: X-Wing inspired scene. This time it's the Redemption scenario, in which you have to protect several Lambda shuttles and the Corellian corvette Korolev carrying wounded after the narrow evacuation of Brigia, as they dock with the medical frigate to transfer the personnel. During the operation, the Imperial Nebulon-B Warspite starts making quick hyperspace jumps launching waves of TIE bombers and TIE fighters, and one has to be quick in destroying the former because otherwise they'll release such barrages of proton torpedoes that the Korolev will be soon gone, along with most of the wounded you had to keep safe.

Michael A. Stackpole, the writer of the X-Wing series of novels, found it hard to complete the mission successfully so he included it at the beginning of the first novel as a simulated training mission, and it was used as a test to select New Republic pilots for Rogue Squadron. The pilots nicknamed it the Requiem scenario. :lol:

Any feedback will be appreciated :)

Redemption%20scenario.png
108962.jpg
Post edited by DarkSapiens on
JES
Tagged:

• DarkSapiensDarkSapiens174 Posts: 0Member
    Something in the composition of the shot was bothering me, it felt too organized. So I made an alternate version:

Redemption%20scenario%202.png

I'm still undecided about which one is better, though…
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Really nice action still, I like it a lot. Both versions look great to me. :thumb:
    Thanks a lot! :)

I'm not really sure what's bothering me, actually… Maybe it feels a bit overcrowded? Maybe the ships are arranged a bit too "neatly" to feel natural and dynamic? Maybe it would look better without the red bolt between the bombers? Hmmm…
    I know what you mean. Sometimes, I get an image done and go "something's not right" but I can't figure out what it is.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    The only time Tycho Celchu lost a training scenario was when Corran Horn lead the Defender Flight and nailed Tycho's Bomber.
    I love that book, and you're doing a great job!
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Rendering and lighting look great, and I agree with your snags on the composition.

A few things you could do to make it more dynamic; think more WWII dive bombers, have the bombers coming in from above with the intended target much more bigger part in the scene so its clear its in danger with an defending xwing between the target and the bomber desperately trying to take out the attackers. Or maybe the Tantive itself which has a fair amount of weaponry that could be strafing the bombers in a vain bid to defend itself :) (with possibly the one of the right having taken a hit and bowing out).

Hope this helps :)
    Thanks Wiz!

Okay, here's another attempt after several tries, at around 25 min per render each… (I don't know what looks good anymore)

The TIE bombers coming in from a higher angle is a good idea, although I applied it only slightly because I wanted to be true to the geometry of the actual mission in the game, and preserving the relative positions of the capital ships made the frigate look bad and in a weird place. They're a bit closer now, though, but I don't want them to be closer than this because part of the point is that the bombers release the torpedo barrage when they're still far away and if you don't reach them in time, then it's over. Also the corvette can't target them at that distance so it's good tactics for the TIEs, and it makes the defense role fall mainly on the X-wings.

Redemption%20scenario%203.png

homerpalooza67: Thank you!
    And yes I love that book too :) Although you can tell Corran Horn is not participating in my version because the X-wings are fighting the bombers together instead of in an individualistic way :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, liking the last shot the best.

:thumb:
    It still looks great.

I had the same thought when I read Wiz's comment. Good idea, just not true to the games. While there is no "up" or "down" in space, many of the early space sims did have a vertical limit. So, you literally couldn't come in at a really steep angle, like you could in real life and, indeed, like they did in the movies. Though, even some more modern game still have that limit.
    Thanks to both!

And actually, now I'm not sure if the TIE bombers in the game did actually go from above at an angle similar to the one I set in the last image. Might have to play the mission again and check.

I think I'll leave the third version as the final image, if there are no more suggestions! Thanks all! :)
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Looking good, DarkSapiens!

I'd suggest kicking either the camera or the TIEs onto an angle. The biggest compositional issue I can see is that the scene is very 'planar' at the moment. Granted, the X-Wings look dynamic, but the rest is very level, making the scene look less dynamic that it could.

Forgive my horrendous 1am 3 minute photoshop skills, but these horrifically convey what I mean. ;) Experiment with a bit more tilt and I think you'll nail it.
    109021.jpg109022.jpg
    JES
    Damn, the forum stopped sending me e-mail notifications and I missed this message! I'll definitely try the second one, I really like how it looks.

Thanks a lot! I'll post it here when it's rendered :)
    Let's see…

Redemption%20scenario%204.png
    I like it. It has that really nice feel of an action still. :thumb:
    Maybe it's just better to remove that laser bolt altogether, though… I'm not sure.

Redemption%20scenario%205.png
    I think the laser bolt really adds to the image. I really like the placement in the latest version. After all, we know the X-Wings fire rapidly, so it makes sense to have a bolt just missing the TIE Bombers.
    So… latest version, same placement as the last one, but laser bolt still there.

Redemption%20scenario%206.png

And again, thank you SO much for all the feedback. It's really appreciated, I need it to get better at this :)
    :thumb:
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Nice man. :) I think it looks cool - but I'm not sure I can give you an unbiased opinion now. ;)
    Haha, no worries, I'll leave it as is :)

Thanks for the help!