Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DNx-01 Refit MSD

Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
edited January 2014 in Work in Progress #1
Hi folks.

So, I'm back after a long break.
Recently finished my TOS Enterprise MSD (You can see it over on my blog or ETSY)

Now I'm tackling the Doug Drexler designed NX-01 Refit.
I've had a lot of fun so far matching the colour scheme to what we saw on screen. Finally plumped for a basic white, light grey and dark grey detailing with important components in blue, yellow and red.
104132.png
104133.png
Post edited by Bmused55 on
Tagged:

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    It looks good so far, but where's the saucer section navigational deflector?
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Ha ha, you don't miss much! It's there. I just forgot to enable the layer.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,630Member
    From the looks of the close-up pic, this is gonna have some serious detailing.
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    Ha ha, you don't miss much! It's there. I just forgot to enable the layer.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, I love the NX, so I don't miss much when it comes to this ship. :D
  • trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,417Member
    Very interesting,
    I like this ship. I'm very excited to see how it goes.
    A happy new year.
    Trekki
    Preview 2. Forward sections of the primary hull near enough complete
    104150.jpg
    It looks great. I love the level of detail. :D
    Thanks evil :)

Preview 3 - MSD done. Now for the surrounding greeblies:
    104160.png
    Looking great, what I can see at that resolution. ;) I see the shuttles are basically in the same place in the refit, but they must launch and land differently than they did on the series, since the secondary hull would prevent the previous configuration's launch/land method.
    Yes, the shuttles use the doors at the rear of the primary hull. The Shuttle bay has been pushed back about 10 to 20 meters to accommodate this. The Shuttle hanging in the air is just to maximise the space given, potentially could allow all the shuttle to be loaded at the same time and launched sequentially.

While the forum was down, I have completed the MSD. Along with one for the Intrepid type.
    104180.png
    It looks great. :D
  • bernard guignardbernard guignard334 Posts: 48Member
    Very nice work there :thumb:
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Ah, nice to see that you now made them adopt the numerical deck-count instead of the old A-deck, B-deck and so forth.

Though, seeing that it essentially means the internal space aft the computer core was essentially swapped, I wonder what they have put in there?
    I mean, engineering is gone to the engineering-section, fine, but that also means the power-grid was redone and the EPS-conduit-thingies that connect the core to the nacelles are "gone" from the saucer-section. Then they added a new turboshaft-line, put the transporter-room assembly elsewhere, and reworked the shuttle-bay...

That's a helluva change and leaves much space. Did they get additional crewspace?
    Had to make an adjustment. Someone who worked with Drexler on the refit says the original core remains where it is for emergency purposes.

So, I drew this up:
    104190.png
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    This looks great! Nicely done!
  • VK08VK083 Posts: 0Member
    ACK!!! Someone... I'm here Alex... :D I loved the one you threw up on my timeline that was classic ;)
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Not sure offhand about TOS, but in WOK the decks were alphabetical, not numerical.

Anywho, great looking MSD.
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    Not sure offhand about TOS, but in WOK the decks were alphabetical, not numerical.

They were numbered in TOS. They always used deck numbers to tell the turbolift where to go. (IE: Kirk's quarters were on Deck 5) The only time I know of that the decks were numbered was in the movie era.
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    They were numbered in TOS. They always used deck numbers to tell the turbolift where to go. (IE: Kirk's quarters were on Deck 5) The only time I know of that the decks were numbered was in the movie era.
    I always interpreted this to be a saucer vs. stardrive thing.

All decks, from the bridge to the bottom of the engineering hull, would have a numeric designation. But the saucer, being the primary habitation section, would also have the alphabetical designation for each deck, as well. (This isn't canon, so far as I know, just my own interpretation.) We only ever hear them refer to a handful of alphabetical decks (not sure they ever mention one higher than C, actually), so this might even be specific to the superstructure "mound" that sits atop the saucer.

Food for thought. :D
    McC wrote: »
    I always interpreted this to be a saucer vs. stardrive thing.

All decks, from the bridge to the bottom of the engineering hull, would have a numeric designation. But the saucer, being the primary habitation section, would also have the alphabetical designation for each deck, as well. (This isn't canon, so far as I know, just my own interpretation.) We only ever hear them refer to a handful of alphabetical decks (not sure they ever mention one higher than C, actually), so this might even be specific to the superstructure "mound" that sits atop the saucer.

Food for thought. :D

I don't know, it also varies by film. I don't remember if they had letters or numbers it the first film. However, they definitely got letters in The Wrath of Khan, The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home. However, despite the doors of the Enterprise-A having a big "A" on them like they did in the previous films in The Voyage Home, they used numbers on the Enterprise-A in The Final Frontier. (they also redesigned the bridge) We know for sure they used numbers in The Final Frontier, due to the infamous triangular turboshaft with way too many deck numbers going in the wrong direction. Then, they may have been back to letters in The Undiscovered Country, I don't really remember. I've even seen some blueprints where they have both number and letter designations.

Though, fortunately, this is the only time in Star Trek history that this happens. The rest of the time, it's been numbered decks.
    VK08 wrote: »
    ACK!!! Someone... I'm here Alex... :D I loved the one you threw up on my timeline that was classic ;)

Didn't know that at the time of posting ;). Besides I'd rather not name names unless told that it is ok to do so beforehand :)
    Glad you liked your DeSalle version :)