Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DImaginary Trek Cartoon

captainkirkcaptainkirk171 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2013 in Work in Progress #1
Thanks to character designer Peter Markowski letting me use his artwork as the basis for my own, I've started working on what a new Star Trek animated series could look like. I've only done Kirk so far, although the rig needs to be redone completely before I'd call him complete. Anyway, enjoy and let me know what you think.
102903.jpg
102904.jpg
Post edited by captainkirk on
Tagged:

• RekkertRekkert4129 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,314Member
    I've seen Peter's work before, and I like what you have here so far, I also prefer the slimmer body you made rather than the more muscular one that the original concepts had. Great work! :thumb:

If I had one criticism it would be that the realistic looking eye texture goes pretty much against the rest of the character.
    Maybe it's just me though.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great. I'm not much into the newer Trek, (I have the first film on DVD, I haven't seen the second one) but I like this. I disagree with Rekkert about the eye material, I think it looks great. If you look at some of the more recent films being done by Pixar, Blue Sky and Sony Animation, you'll notice that even their more cartoony looking characters have pretty realistic looking eyes.
  • captainkirkcaptainkirk171 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks guys!
    Rekkert wrote: »
    I've seen Peter's work before, and I like what you have here so far, I also prefer the slimmer body you made rather than the more muscular one that the original concepts had. Great work! :thumb:

The main reason for that change was actually because I couldn't really get the exact design to work well in 3D. Some things don't seem to translate from 2D to 3D as well as you would expect them to.
    If you look at some of the more recent films being done by Pixar, Blue Sky and Sony Animation, you'll notice that even their more cartoony looking characters have pretty realistic looking eyes.

I believe that good looking eyes are actually more important than just about everything else on the character. The eyes are where you look first and where emotion has to be shown so they should be as good as possible.

I'm waiting to hear back from Peter about a model sheet for Spock. Hopefully I can start work on him soon. My goal is to eventually have everyone.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    He reminds me to Guybrush Threepwood....
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    good model i the the eyebrows are a lil to thick tho
    By thick do you mean that they're too large or too hairy?
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    to large
    Well Cris Pine has thick eyebrows and in a cartoon character you exaggerate the more prominent features so I think it works here, but I'll experiment with making them a bit thinner.
    It's a caricature. So, the thick eyebrows are fitting. ;)
    I tried thinning the eyebrows (I didn't save any images) and it lost a bit of character. What I'm currently doing is adapting Juan Pablo Bouza's Blenrig customizable armature to fit Kirk. Unfortunately, rigging isn't something I enjoy so it may take a while.
    The first update in a long time. When I modeled Kirk, Peter Markowski drew a model sheet to make the process easier. Since then I believe he's started working at LEGO and so is too busy to do the same for any other character which is why I haven't updated this project in months. Yesterday though I decided to try my hand at stylizing the characters myself. I already have Kirk's head which has the style I want so I thought "How hard can it be?". I decided to try modeling Uhura to do something different from Kirk. Just to head off any nitpickers, here are things that I'm aware of and will change:

The eyes. It's still the same texture as with Kirk. This will be replaced with one the correct color.
    No skin texture. I'm waiting until the shape of her head is finalized to do the unwrapping.
    Stretched uniform pattern. Similar to the skin texture, the shape isn't final.
    The hair looks terrible. It's just a placeholder and will also be used as an animation proxy.

One more important thing is that for Kirk I used Blender's Cycles rendering engine which is much more realistic but a lot slower. For future characters I'll be using the older engine.
    There's still a lot to do, especially to get her to feel more like Uhura. So let me know what you think.
    103904.jpg103905.jpg
    I think it's a great start. Character modeling is something I avoid, so I have admiration for anybody who even attempts it. Is it perfect? Of course not, you said so yourself. But it's definitely a step in the right direction. So, great work so far and I'm looking forward to seeing more. :thumb:
    Thanks. And here's a small update with some tweaks to the head shape. I used to avoid character modeling until I found a great series of video tutorials. Now I enjoy it. What I don't like though is texturing. For some things it's easy such as my Enterprise construction scene. But with that it was mostly just mapping photos to pretty simple geometry. Unwrapping and then painting textures for a human head, even a cartoon one, is much harder.
    103906.jpg
    wip3.jpg 297.7K
    A test of a corridor I've been working on. Unfortunately I can't get the lighting right and have to disable SSS.
    103924.jpg
    wip6.jpg 279.4K
    Skin textures at last. And some temporary eyelashes.
    103932.png
    wip7.png 321.7K
    She's looking great. Nice work on the corridor too. (I see you even added a big lens flare ;))
    What would the world be without lens flares?:) I'm currently trying to get particle hair working. I'll have some renders when I get it to look good.
    What would the world be without lens flares?:)

Imagine a world where you can watch a movie without squinting. :lol:
    Why do you think Benedict Cumberbatch said that STID would be blindingly brilliant?

Here I've replaced all the placeholder hair with actual particle hair. And I would advise anyone doing a character to never give them a ponytail. It'll kill you.
    103938.png
    Nice work on the hair. :thumb:
    Why do you think Benedict Cumberbatch said that STID would be blindingly brilliant?

If you like that film, you probably don't want to hear my response to that or my thoughts on the film. :lol:
    I loved the movie!
    I did not. (we'll leave it at that ;))