Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DWell, I Figured its Time...

AtolmAtolm334 Posts: 76Member
edited August 2013 in Finished Work #1
Time to push the envelope again ;)
Enjoy mates.
Federation Halo-Class:
federationhaloclass00.jpg
101375.jpg
Post edited by Atolm on
JES
Tagged:

• Soran77Soran770 Posts: 0Member
    This is one of your best Atolm!! :thumb:
  • gerb200gerb200176 Posts: 114Member
    That's fantastic. I love the lines branching outward then coming back around to the rings.
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    The nacelles require getting used to and I would make the saucer slightly stretched forward but I love it though. A design for a hero ship. I'd love to see this ship in 3D some day ;)
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    I love the saucer, secondary hull and pylons. There are no nacelles, so I shall not comment on them. However, the rings make it look like a double rotor craft more than a space ship, in my opinion. But, the rest looks great and I love your individuality, as usual. You design things like no other, which is why people enjoy your work so much. I agree with nightfever, it would be great to see it in 3D.
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    Thank you for keeping perfectly circular saucer and nacelles. The secondary hull is among the best--the join flawless.

One with a saucer secondary hull might be interesting.

Imagine a deployable station. The secondary hull is a lower disk, and at three triangular points above are two warp nacelles and a command saucer that surrounds/engulfs a third.

On the move, the aft two disks up top rotate out--at rest, all the disks face each other with the saucer now being a sublight monitor, leaving a symmetrical station behind with the nacelles rotated again in-board.
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    very good, the ring "nacelles" look like some kid of VTOL device inspired by the "helicopters" in avatar. i also rathr like the hull and the general sort of shapes used, would be good in 3d.
  • KhayKhay0 Posts: 0Member
    First time ever i like Trek ship. The ring-nacelles are wonderful.
  • cool65cool65332 Posts: 29Member
    I am really like that with kind of ring nacelles as wonderful things. Keep going more to do. :)
  • AtolmAtolm334 Posts: 76Member
    Soran77 wrote: »
    This is one of your best Atolm!! :thumb:
    Thanks mate. I figured it was about time I push the shapes a bit further. I have seen a lot of wonderful designs of late by some amazing people. Some amazing shapes and details have been developed... and to some small conceit I'd like to think that I have contributed to them on some shape or level. So seeing all these ideas beginning to catch up to my mad musings, I just figured I needed to go further... And I will continue to go even further, probably to the point where people will say, "that is not a trek ship". So i guess I'm saying that I'm not just done yet ;)
    gerb200 wrote: »
    That's fantastic. I love the lines branching outward then coming back around to the rings.
    nightfever wrote: »
    The nacelles require getting used to and I would make the saucer slightly stretched forward but I love it though. A design for a hero ship. I'd love to see this ship in 3D some day ;)
    Thanks mate
    I love the saucer, secondary hull and pylons. There are no nacelles, so I shall not comment on them. However, the rings make it look like a double rotor craft more than a space ship, in my opinion. But, the rest looks great and I love your individuality, as usual. You design things like no other, which is why people enjoy your work so much. I agree with nightfever, it would be great to see it in 3D.
    They are nacelles, but they are for an experimental space folding drive :) and Thanks mate.
    publiusr wrote: »
    Thank you for keeping perfectly circular saucer and nacelles. The secondary hull is among the best--the join flawless.

One with a saucer secondary hull might be interesting.

Imagine a deployable station. The secondary hull is a lower disk, and at three triangular points above are two warp nacelles and a command saucer that surrounds/engulfs a third.

On the move, the aft two disks up top rotate out--at rest, all the disks face each other with the saucer now being a sublight monitor, leaving a symmetrical station behind with the nacelles rotated again in-board.
    Thanks mate, you might be onto something there with a saucer hull...I designed a McQuarrie-class which did have 2 saucers... and i do have others...so maybe I'll explore some more. actually thinking on it it may have a UFO Grendizer feel to it, so it may be very intriguing to do :)
    very good, the ring "nacelles" look like some kid of VTOL device inspired by the "helicopters" in avatar. i also rathr like the hull and the general sort of shapes used, would be good in 3d.
    thanks mate... the idea actually stems first from a concept back in the early 70's for a bicycle wheel assembly, then later to motorcycles, then to helicopters, and now to house/table fans(believe it or not...lol).
    Khay wrote: »
    First time ever i like Trek ship. The ring-nacelles are wonderful.
    Thanks much for that mate... I believe then, that I've done my job :)
    cool65 wrote: »
    I am really like that with kind of ring nacelles as wonderful things. Keep going more to do. :)
    will do mate, Thanks!
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Hey, looks who came me back! I was already feeling your missing old beam. ;)
    Wonderfull concept! :thumb:
    DonA’t hesitate to show us new ones. :)
    Thanks mate, glad to see you too :)
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Hmmmm

Saucer section - Awesome
    Stardrive - Equally awesome
    Nacelles - No, they just don't look right.

I love original thinking, but sometimes, one can go a wee bit too far to be unique.
    Aesthetically, this design just does not gel.

Having said that, the artistry is exception. It was well drawn. :)

Sorry for my honesty. I prefer to call it as I see it and not sugar coat.
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    Hmmmm

Saucer section - Awesome
    Stardrive - Equally awesome
    Nacelles - No, they just don't look right.

I love original thinking, but sometimes, one can go a wee bit too far to be unique.
    Aesthetically, this design just does not gel.

Having said that, the artistry is exception. It was well drawn. :)

Sorry for my honesty. I prefer to call it as I see it and not sugar coat.
    That's fine, but fortunately, so do I, and what some consider to be wrong, others find np with (its perception)... most people do not realize that if you don't agree with the "status quo" then it must be wrong, but in actuality, you would notice more with things when they challenge convictions. :)
    I appreciate critiques, but more than that, I appreciate daring. If i wanted the same old thing, i would have just posted yet another connie interpretation, but rather I choose to be daring :)
    You may, or may not like my stuff, right or wrong, but i promise you I will go further than most :)
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    As I said on AIM, I love everything about this one... plus, it has the added bonus of being symmetrical, lol. :p I think the issue with the ring engines looking awkward is actually due to the side profile... I think that it's because the pylons/nacelles are facing forward rather than backward, like on the 1701-A and 1701-E, so it makes the ship look a bit short. Then again, that's only my interpretation. Still looking forward to seeing this ship rendered up nice in 3D so we can see the saucer deflector in all its glory.
  • bobafettbobafett0 Posts: 0Member
    Atolm I find your designs to be truly inspirational. I can see the thought processes you have gone through to push the design forward. Too often do we see the cut and pasting of different elements together and call it new. Be creative and see where it takes you. Well done as always!
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    ...Still looking forward to seeing this ship rendered up nice in 3D...

Your dream can be made real... Someone is trying to do it: http://ststcsolda.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=ststcsoldashipsg&thread=456&page=1#5601 ;)
    ^

That's a nice start.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    Atolm wrote: »
    Time to push the envelope again ;)
    Enjoy mates.
    Federation Halo-Class:
    federationhaloclass00.jpg

Well...It's interesting to look at....
    Designs are easier to develop from the top plan. Focus on the side and Front view in tandem to bring it together.

Design wise the big nacelles will create drag to port and starboard.
    On the up side there will be a large reduction in drag to the rear because the nacelles aren't creating a vacuole between them like Sovereign, Constitution or Excelsior. This design would be best (by traditional Trek tech) with an Obtuse Saucer like Galaxy rather than a Sovereign or Voyager saucer.

- Voyager is the standard for speed. Nacelles tucked close and don't extend back and a acute saucer. Coils larger back
    -Galaxy is the standard for stability. Obtuse Saucer and moderately tucked engines. Coils that get larger back.
    -Sovereign is the standard for slow. Long obtrusive engines, coils smaller going back.
    ^

I'd have to disagree with you on the Sovvy... aside from being simply newer than the VOY/Intrepid, I tend to think engines that mahoosive aren't designed to be slow. It takes a lot more power to move the 1701-E than it does to move a tiny ship like the VOY or Equinox.
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Ring spacefold units are daring, but not so daring that they are still on pylons. What other arrangements can you come up with?
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    ^

I'd have to disagree with you on the Sovvy... aside from being simply newer than the VOY/Intrepid, I tend to think engines that mahoosive aren't designed to be slow. It takes a lot more power to move the 1701-E than it does to move a tiny ship like the VOY or Equinox.

It's the traditional wisdom. Newer thus better but Scimitar easily toasted Sovy's maxed speed.

What's really interesting is that it seems long engines cause more drag but increase maneuverability (Tech Manual figuring).

That means the Refit and Excelsior were extremely maneuverable at warp while Voyager is straight speed runner. Maybe that's why Tom says "Faster than light no left no right"
  • overState201XoverState201X171 Posts: 0Member
    Dude, you're gonna get snatched up for the next Trek film. This is the kind of wacky stuff they go for. :-p
    watcher of the skies, watcher of all
    my guardian angel fell asleep on the watch
    the hardest thing about refrain
    our reason to be here
  • raytridiraytridi0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice drawing. How long did you do it?