Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DIngram Class - Odysseus Variant, 24th Century Refit.

2»

• lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    Are you ABSOLUTELY sure of that?? :devil:
    That's the same thing MKF said about his U.S.S. Onimaru, ten or twenty versions ago. ;)
  • JayruJayru1150 UKPosts: 708Member
    He he he... yes, very sure ;)
    The watcher in the tower... Waiting, hour by hour...
    - Mike Oldfield
    Managed to spend a couple of hours on playing around with the mesh this avo;

iov240009s.jpg iov240010s.jpg

Happy with most of the detail - although those two small aft phaser arrays are going to be shifted to the top of the impulse deck, they seem pretty redundant where they are at the moment. WonA’t be touching the A“impulse deckA” until I get the neck done, as new impulse engines and the change from A“intermix shaftsA” to A“warp coreA” will mean quite a few changes in that area and a change in size as well.

Comments welcome, more as and when folks.

PS: yes, cutting all those windows in was funA… and IA’m already imaging just how much fun building all the rooms behind them is going to be - AND this is just part of the primary hull :argh:
    - Mike Oldfield
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great so far. :D Yeah, doing windows like that is always fun. So much fun it should be illegal. ;)

I have a question: Is this ship any bigger than your previous versions? I was thinking about real world ships and, often, newer ships of the same class will be larger than older ships. IE: the Titanic and Britannic were larger than the original Olympic. They were newer and larger but still considered to be part of the Olympic class. The same is true for military vessels, but that was an example I could think of off the top of my head.
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    Jayru wrote: »
    ...Would love to render her up against Richter's fab CG model of what the Ambassador should have looked like... but that not's going to happen (and I respect him to much to beg to be allowed to do it, lol).

Yeah, itA’s the same from my side.
    But you have two good options for distance shots. They are the low/medium polly meshes built by Barry and Willey for the game Bridge Commander. Originally built in max, the meshes were ported to the game in nif format, which can be ported back to 3ds max easilly:
    BarryA’s mesh: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20579106/Enterprise_C__probert_ambassador_sfrd_
    WilleyA’s mesh (based upon orthos released by Tobias): http://www.michaelwileyart.com/pages/shipmodpages/protoambassador.html

Just in case. ;)
    @ evil_genius_180 - There is a major difference in length between the five Odysseus Variants that I built; - the longest of the five being the USS Prestidge (NCC2601). Odysseus (NCC2602) and Guardian (NCC2603) are the shortest in length. Murray (NCC2604) and Kamcaira (NCC2605) are taller and have 23 decks rather than the 22 the other three have, and are ten meters shy of the length of the Prestidge. In effect there are only three hull types (Prestidge, Odysseus, Murray) what really distinguishes Odysseus from Guardian and Murray from Kamcaira is details. I went as far as creating different panel layouts as well when I textured them.

I really must have been insane at the time now I come to think about it… lol.

Of course, between the actual USS Ingram NCC2001 and the ships I built there are several size differences, the Ingram is far larger length and width wise (before its nacelles got changed).

This “refit” (overhaul) of the Kamcaira isn’t going to change the beam (width) of the ship - as the saucer is the widest part, and aside from reshaping the underside I’ve not really changed its overall shape and size. Length will change, the ship will lose some meters when the new nacelles go on. Not sure how many meters it’s going to lose yet as I have to build the new nacelles first, lol. Height might change as well because of the nacelles, but that’s all in the back of my mind at the moment.

Yes, the fun of cutting windows in… Just realised I have all the fun of texturing this baby to look forward to as well. Using material colours at the moment (and doing my usual thing of building it all in - ‘cause that’s how I roll). I really hope I made notes of how I did things last time, or this really will be fun…

@ Starship - I’ll have a look. I think I may still have BC running on my PC. Old hand at dealing with the mods for that game (I made and released enough for it many moons ago, lol). It’s the only other place I’ve seen anyone attempt (and finish) a version of the Ingram. Sadly they Frankensteined an Excelsior, Miranda and Constitution ship mods to do it, so it wasn’t that good - but it was nice to see someone else have a go at it other than myself and Tallguy.

I have a good as-seen-on-TV Ambassador Class mesh I can use for eventual renders. Makes sense to have that to hand as well. Although, I would love to see TNG remastered with new CGI effects and ships and the proper version of Ambassador to appear on screen.
    - Mike Oldfield
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,977Member
    @ Starship - I’ll have a look. I think I may still have BC running on my PC. Old hand at dealing with the mods for that game (I made and released enough for it many moons ago, lol). It’s the only other place I’ve seen anyone attempt (and finish) a version of the Ingram. Sadly they Frankensteined an Excelsior, Miranda and Constitution ship mods to do it, so it wasn’t that good - but it was nice to see someone else have a go at it other than myself and Tallguy.

I have a good as-seen-on-TV Ambassador Class mesh I can use for eventual renders. Makes sense to have that to hand as well. Although, I would love to see TNG remastered with new CGI effects and ships and the proper version of Ambassador to appear on screen.

So, you built mods for that game?!? Never mind! (Just curious about your nick there... :confused:) I never played the game for myself, nor built meshes for it. I usually go to the forums, cause from time to time interesting ships and wips are posted there (tease: by the time, Eloi is building good variations for the Ambassador Class).

About The nif plugin, itA’s here: http://niftools.sourceforge.net/wiki/3ds_Max ;)

About that Ingram, I know her. ItA’s almost the same process that resulted in the kitibashed Indomitable. As a side note, Olias was building in Anima8or a proper high polly version for the Indomitable, but he is "missing" since 2010...

Back on topic, the changes made until now are looking interesting. About the new impulse engines, are you thinking about something like Madkoi did for the Balmung, or something along the lines of the Enterprise-B? :D
    Same user handle I use here: Jayru - although I haven't created anything for BC in many years now. The last thing I did was a Blake's 7 Ship Pack (based on the original ship designs - even managed to score some original sound effects from the show as well for it - http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Blakes_7_modpack;55799).

No worries on the nif plugin, had that since I first started using Max, but thanks for the link ;)

He he, that game mod Ingram came out when they found out that I wouldn't be converting the mesh I was working on for use in the game (which was my original plan when I started building it).

I'm not familiar with MadKoiFish's Balmung - I'll have a hunt round for images.

No, no plans to include any of the Ent-B Excelsior mods to this ship ;) Four impulse engines of the size that ship had? Overkill. They didn't need to do what they did to that ship. That decision came from a suit who wanted the Ent-B to be a new class, and when he found that it was established that it was an Excelsior Class asked for the model to be changed. Never liked what they did. Never made any sense design wise.

The neck and impulse engines on my mesh are one object, the lines of the neck are going to stay roughly the same - but the impulse engines will be smaller and have much smaller footprint - in line with the idea that technology has improved. Because this refit of the ship is going to allow me to put a TNG style "warp core" on the ship rather than the TMP style vertical and horizontal Intermix Shafts the impulse engines won't need to jut out the back of the neck so much, they can be moved further in. I am toying with the idea of moving main engineering, but that has very large implications for details on the secondary hull and the neck. More on that subject when I get to. Saucer first, then neck and then... the rest.
    - Mike Oldfield
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    No, no plans to include any of the Ent-B Excelsior mods to this ship ;) Four impulse engines of the size that ship had? Overkill. They didn't need to do what they did to that ship. That decision came from a suit who wanted the Ent-B to be a new class, and when he found that it was established that it was an Excelsior Class asked for the model to be changed. Never liked what they did. Never made any sense design wise.

All of the above. Personally I'd have done very little to modify the ship - maybe give it a relatively bigger deflector more in line with the 1701-C, and I think adding real Bussard collectors wasn't such a bad move. Lastly I'd have replaced much of the grillwork on the dorsal interhull connector with hull plating instead; again to show progression towards the next class. I might lean towards modifying the Impulse exhausts into one single (smaller?) unit, but that would be as far "overboard" as I'd ever go with it.

As for this update, I'll be interested to see it progress. As I recall I'd always expressed interest in what a 1701-C designed to fit between the Ingram and the Galaxy-class would have looked like, but I suspect that Andrew Probert's concept version rather fits that bill...

Welcome back, by the way. ;)
    @ Starscream - HowA’s it hanging dude? Long time no speak toA… we have got to do a catch upA…

Yeah, itA’s been interesting playing around with some design ideas. I have a good idea in my mindA’s eye how this is going to look, and so far so good. The ship will still be an Ingram Class - just upgraded to sit within the 2330s. The lines will pretty much stay the same to keep the feel of the ship and the class. As for TNG - my little backstory/history for these ships states that none were active beyond 2360, they remain A“Lost YearsA” ships even with this refit. He he, my backstory/history states that of the five Odysseus Variants built, only two got this upgrade, of the other three one was lost with all hands (arms, legs, feet, heads and bodies as well). And the other two were retired. The real life person the A“MurrayA” is named for would like to see that ship refitted as well - but all that will require is a second set of reg tags. It wonA’t be a separate mesh like last time (NO MORE VERSIONS OF THIS THING EVERA… after this one - A‘cause my brain will melt :argh:).

And itA’s going to be interesting to see the reactions when I do a scale render next to an Ambassador Class. IA’ve done it once before in the old WIP thread. The reaction wasA… interesting :lol:

More updates - finished off the upper part of the saucer (for now, I will be coming back to it later). Made a few changes, got rid of the small phaser arrays. WasnA’t where they should be anyway. Never fear, they will returnA… in a new location. Moved a few other things around as well, finished off A“b-deckA” - and worked on the bridge. Not sure if this is the bridge idea I will be going with, but IA’m fine with it at the moment. ItA’s smaller than the pre-refit version, and IA’ve sunk it into the deck below. Quick play around showed me that I can get an era specific bridge in there, and a ready room, and a briefing room. Might be something I play around with another time. Yes, those are sensor pallets round the bridge. That is correct to the era folks ;)

iov240011s.jpg iov240012s.jpg

Made a start on the lower part of the saucer - didnA’t get as far as I wanted, but made a start;

iov240013s.jpg

The pink and green blob thingies sticking out of the mesh are markers for windows (not necessarily where the windows will be going, just the level and angle for when I come to do those layouts).

And thatA’s possibly going to be it for a week or two as IA’m off on my summer holiday this weekend (anniversary with the other halfA… 11 yearsA… you get less for murder :D. And someone is turning 42 as well - scary stuff :o). Have shed loads to do tomorrow and Friday. But I will be back - and hopefully with a tan as well :) if I get a chance to play around with things I will - if not, as I say I will be backA…

As always comments welcome, and of course; More soon! :thumb:
    - Mike Oldfield
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great, dude. I'm loving the early 24th century detailing.

Have fun on the Anniversary Holiday. They say, if you can make it over a decade, you've got a chance of making it permanently. So, you're good to go. :D
    Cheers - wilco. I have few doubts about permanency... anyone who can put up with me and my habits that long deserves a medal. And looking forward to getting some sun. Getting board of the "undead look."

All things being equal, I should get a little time to play with this this afternoon (all work and no play makes Jay a dull boy, so I'll do some work on the mesh during a break).
    - Mike Oldfield
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    @ Starscream - How’s it hanging dude? Long time no speak to… we have got to do a catch up…

Yeah, not been particularly active online apart from stopping by to marvel at the pretty pictures! lol

TBH I've simply gotten tired of all the bitching and petty disagreements I see within Trek fandom, so I don't really have the patience to contribute most of the time. And I've since migrated back to 'Wars as my drug of choice!
    Yeah, it’s been interesting playing around with some design ideas. I have a good idea in my mind’s eye how this is going to look, and so far so good. The ship will still be an Ingram Class - just upgraded to sit within the 2330s. The lines will pretty much stay the same to keep the feel of the ship and the class.

Sounds logical to me; and I agree about not making major hull changes (although the nacelles..... lol). I wonder if maybe a bunch of smaller phaser strip "banks" might be better for the timeframe than the mid-length strips you've got though? I think the Ent-C went missing in the 2340s IIRC, but something a decade or more older may have had only early versions of this tech?? YMMV...
    NO MORE VERSIONS OF THIS THING EVER… after this one - ‘cause my brain will melt :argh:).

There's such a thing as overkill! Hahaha
    And it’s going to be interesting to see the reactions when I do a scale render next to an Ambassador Class. I’ve done it once before in the old WIP thread. The reaction was… interesting :lol:

Yeah, wasn't it longer than the Ent-C? But then the production design wasn't the same as the Probert version anyway, so maybe that'd be slightly different. Still, I reckon the concept version would be a better fit.
    More updates - finished off the upper part of the saucer (for now, I will be coming back to it later). Made a few changes, got rid of the small phaser arrays. Wasn’t where they should be anyway. Never fear, they will return… in a new location.

See above regarding phaser strip/banks. :P
    Quick play around showed me that I can get an era specific bridge in there, and a ready room, and a briefing room. Might be something I play around with another time. Yes, those are sensor pallets round the bridge. That is correct to the era folks ;)

Yep, looks to match the Ent-C from what I recall. What's that thin, dark grey strip around the top though, just extra detailing or something specific?
    And that’s possibly going to be it for a week or two as I’m off on my summer holiday this weekend (anniversary with the other half… 11 years… you get less for murder :D. And someone is turning 42 as well - scary stuff :o).

Congratulations, going anywhere exciting? :) And of course, we all know 42 is the answer to life, the universe, etc etc.... ;)
    Starscream wrote: »
    Yeah, not been particularly active online apart from stopping by to marvel at the pretty pictures! lol

TBH I've simply gotten tired of all the bitching and petty disagreements I see within Trek fandom, so I don't really have the patience to contribute most of the time. And I've since migrated back to 'Wars as my drug of choice!
    Know what you mean… No idea how many hours have gone into SWTOR in the last year, but it’s sating the ‘Wars need in me at the moment.

… I agree about not making major hull changes (although the nacelles..... lol). I wonder if maybe a bunch of smaller phaser strip "banks" might be better for the timeframe than the mid-length strips you've got though? I think the Ent-C went missing in the 2340s IIRC, but something a decade or more older may have had only early versions of this tech??
    The question of the phasar arrays is one that bugged me… According to the little bit of research I did, the Ent-C was launched in 2332 (hence why I picked that year), and was destroyed in 2344. The USS Ambassador was launched in 2325. So the Ent-C was not one of the early versions of that Class. The question is; did it have phaser arrays when it launched? Or was that a change that happened later? I’m going to go with the idea that it had them when it launched, and so hence the tech was around and available for use on other hulls. If it helps, I can bump the date the Kamcaira gets it face lift to 2333 - put it a year after the Ent-C launch so as to make it clear phaser arrays were proved tech by that time. I don’t want to push it any later, ‘cause I don’t want the hull getting too old before it’s overhaul. 2332 would make the Kamcaira 35 years old. Kirk’s (first) Enterprise was younger than that when it got its TMP facelift.

Oh, I played around with smaller arrays dotted around that hull line. It didn’t look right. Was a little to JJ-Trek - something I avoid like the plague (yes, have seen his Trek movies. Disappointed that I will never get those hours back for something less offensive and more enjoyable).

There's such a thing as overkill! Hahaha
    When has that ever stopped me? :lol:

Yeah, wasn't it longer than the Ent-C? But then the production design wasn't the same as the Probert version anyway, so maybe that'd be slightly different. Still, I reckon the concept version would be a better fit.
    Yes… and people’s comments were funny when they saw how big the ship was - it’s funnier when you consider that the original USS Ingram is actually bigger… Oh mass wise, the on-screen Ambassador is bigger - and taller (it does have more decks). But yeah, length wise…

Yep, looks to match the Ent-C from what I recall. What's that thin, dark grey strip around the top though, just extra detailing or something specific?
    Part of the shield grid array, an extra level of protection for the bridge. Well, that’s what I’m calling it at the moment. It may well get removed, or recoloured.

That bridge design is based off the one I originally did for Murray & Kamcaira, which in turn was inspired by the look of the Trek VI bridge design for the USS Excelsior, but at an actual usable scale and size. What it’s actually supposed to be on the Excelsior? No idea.

Congratulations, going anywhere exciting? :) And of course, we all know 42 is the answer to life, the universe, etc etc.... ;)
    Brighton, the whole “not being allowed to fly” thing is getting annoying, and limiting (health is the problem, not anything else) - but meh, can still find places to go and enjoy. And we liked Brighton last time we were there. The cat won’t be happy with us being away, but that little bugger is way too spoiled and could do with bringing down a peg or two. Should appreciate us more when we get back (she’s going on a holiday too; to the cattery, lol).

Yeah, 42 the meaning of Life, The Universe and Everything… shame we can’t understand what the actual question is to understand the answer. Gotta love Adams for that.
    - Mike Oldfield
  • publiusrpubliusr550 Posts: 1,747Member
    This is some of the best work to date. The phaser strips fit that hull better than any other.