Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Romulan D'Deridex Class Warbird

Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
edited February 2013 in Looking for... #1
I've seen some really good ones, some very accurate, others not so much, but still good quality. However, I'm looking for a good quality accurate D'Deridex Class Warbird, in Max format or something easily convertible to Max format.

Thanks.
Post edited by Chris2005 on
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
32 GB RAM
Windows 11 Pro
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    Hi Chris
    I have a Warbird for C4D. I can saveed in .OBJ Format.
    Send me your E-Mail.
    Happy new year
    trekki
  • Chris2005Chris2005678 Posts: 3,097Member
    trekki wrote: »
    Hi Chris
    I have a Warbird for C4D. I can saveed in .OBJ Format.
    Send me your E-Mail.
    Happy new year
    trekki

Thanks. Is it a model you're allowed to share?
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9797 Posts: 5,325Member
    http://www.trekmeshes.ch/
    3 to choose from.
    Top most one (when you do a non fed search there) is the closest I found. (2006 vs the 2004 models) Others are f3d and LWOs that I have not had luck with.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    http://www.trekmeshes.ch/
    3 to choose from.
    Top most one (when you do a non fed search there) is the closest I found. (2006 vs the 2004 models) Others are f3d and LWOs that I have not had luck with.

Yea, I've looked at the Mike Dilliott one, which seems to be the best on STMC, but the smoothing problems are saddening... as for the other 2... Mike Wright's crashes max when I try to open the max file, so I may try importing the 3DS version or converting the LWO version... as for Ed Giddings' it's just a little too lacking in detail, texture/material wise...

I've also looked through F3D and they don't have any that are not also available on STMC's website... with the exception of 1, but it doesn't look 100% accurate...
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Well I cannot judge the lwo files but the old thor mesh looks ok in the preview. But I again never had luck with LWO conversion. The one edited by mattc is likely the best available, it just looks a bit low poly, again looks since I do not have LW installed on anything atm. (probably wrong version anyhow)

The max crashing could be old vs new versions of max, I managed the file and it could be the way the mesh is modeled, see attachment. I could save it out and fwd a link, if that fails I could FBX it which would be far better than a lwo or 3ds since it would be a ugly mess with all the open faces tri-ed up from those formats. Personally Id ignore these for the Dillott one unless you can get the mattc one converted and cleaned out of tris.
    mwbird.jpg

The Mike Dilliott one looks like a untouched conversion, and yeah I agree the wires are scary looking. Probably only take a evening or 2 to fix all the smoothing groups and yank out all the unwanted edges. It basically is the 2 other meshes merged up.
    bodge.jpg
    Either case this is all you really got to work with without messing with them or making your own.
    Well I cannot judge the lwo files but the old thor mesh looks ok in the preview. But I again never had luck with LWO conversion. The one edited by mattc is likely the best available, it just looks a bit low poly, again looks since I do not have LW installed on anything atm. (probably wrong version anyhow)

The max crashing could be old vs new versions of max, I managed the file and it could be the way the mesh is modeled, see attachment. I could save it out and fwd a link, if that fails I could FBX it which would be far better than a lwo or 3ds since it would be a ugly mess with all the open faces tri-ed up from those formats. Personally Id ignore these for the Dillott one unless you can get the mattc one converted and cleaned out of tris.
    mwbird.jpg

The Mike Dilliott one looks like a conversion, and yeah I agree the wires are scary looking. Probably only take a evening or 2 to fix all the smoothing groups and yank out all the unwanted edges. It basically is the 2 other meshes merged up.
    bodge.jpg
    Either case this is all you really got to work with without messing with them or making your own.

If you could do that, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hmmm, I might propose the idea to Raul Mamoru, to model his own D'Deridex... since he has great attention to accuracy and detail and he has the right balance between poly count and quality.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Ugh, I did that a long long time ago. If I re-did it it'd be much easier, but unfortunately, there's not a lot of time for such things these days.
    I am surprised this one has not been modeled more. Though I cannot say much since I have never considered it myself.

Ok pm sent, let me know if it worked ok in thread. I do not think it is any better or worse than the other choices. Might be a good proj to learn poly editing with :shrug
    I am surprised this one has not been modeled more. Though I cannot say much since I have never considered it myself.

Ok pm sent, let me know if it worked ok in thread. I do not think it is any better or worse than the other choices. Might be a good proj to learn poly editing with :shrug

I agree.

It worked. Thanks. :)

I still passed the idea along to Raul.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Raul surelly can make justice to the warbird.
    Anyway... there are two other warbirds, and I have both. :D One was built by the old Stephan May, and the other was built by Willy Jaspers (this one has corridors included). S. MayA’s mesh is public, I believe, but WillyA’s mesh I think that isnA’t.
    Both are in one of my old dvdA’s... IA’ll take a look and let you know about them. ;)
    Found the first one.
    For a more than 12 years old mesh and not totally accurated, built in max 3, SMayA’s mesh still can do the job. At least, for medium shots. :)
    99173.jpg99174.jpg99175.jpg
    Starship wrote: »
    Raul surelly can make justice to the warbird.
    Anyway... there are two other warbirds, and I have both. :D One was built by the old Stephan May, and the other was built by Willy Jaspers (this one has corridors included). S. MayA’s mesh is public, I believe, but WillyA’s mesh I think that isnA’t.
    Both are in one of my old dvdA’s... IA’ll take a look and let you know about them. ;)

Yea, I've seen the one by Stephan May...

I've never seen W. Jaspers... but having seen some of his other models, I can imagine it looks very accurate.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Let me some time.
    IA’ll try to contact Willy. ;)
    Starship wrote: »
    Let me some time.
    IA’ll try to contact Willy. ;)

No rush. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    if you want it in .max i guess you are using 3d studio max, could you import one of another file type like these http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=cd576a75477fc4dae90254678616c4fe&prevstart=0
    i found some other romulan ships online but not the d dridex
    I found a picture of a really nice one... but it has no credits, so I don't know whose it is...

0fe30614_ST-TK3D002Romulan_Warbird.jpeg

Front end of the nacelles could use some work... as evident by the studio model:

theneutralzone_hd_404.jpg
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Hummm..... Looks like one built by my old friends Taranis (Ger) and Magmarama (Marc Laurent). At least, the nacelesA’ front is the same:
    RomulanWarbird.jpg
    I must have it saved in my library too. I sent a note to Ger about this. ;)
    99429.jpg
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    No, not mine... IA’m not that good..... could be Stephen MayA’s, it looks close but hard to say with the lighting.... found nothing else close.
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    Taranis wrote: »
    No, not mine... IA’m not that good..... could be Stephen MayA’s, it looks close but hard to say with the lighting.... found nothing else close.

DonA’t be so modest! YouA’re tallented, no doubt. ;)
    Well, the last warbird isnA’t from Stephan. That one donA’t have the "dome" over the sec hull and the naceles are totally different. Hey Ger, maybe itA’s your old mesh updated a bit by the owner of that site? :)
  • gmd3dgmd3d250 DublinPosts: 132Member
    Thanks Cassio... I never released it or gave it out to anyone... sorry cannot be of more help
    “You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.”
    Taranis wrote: »
    Thanks Cassio... I never released it or gave it out to anyone... sorry cannot be of more help

Ouch!!!! I completelly forgot to check the last name... Dolan. :runs: The mesh was built by Ger Dolan, not by you. Excuse me the mistake. IA’ll try to contact him or Marc. :D

In time: at least two old friends can still have the mesh:
    http://www.stdragon.com/
    http://www.burrowes.org
    Looks like I lost the cd with my copy...

15/01/2013 - Update

All emails of Ger are dead.
    IA’m still waiting a repply from Marc.
  • MagmaMagma0 Posts: 0Member
    Hi guys, I've not logged here in yeaaaaars :) I completly stoped using Lightwaves years ago when I became a dad. My hard drive with all my meshes died so i lost everything I had... Sorry, can't help you with the warbird. Looks like Ger's but I can't be sure. My respects to the veterans ;-)
  • EBOLIIEBOLII205 Posts: 362Member
    Wha........goodnight! Who's that guy? ^^^^^^^^
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Holy crap!
    Magma yet lives!
    Congrats on the fatherhood thing even if terribly belated.
  • anystaranystar0 Posts: 0Member
    this is slightly off-topic, but... i've been looking around trying to see if anyone ever modeled a version of the concept warbird with the vertical wings arrangement??? i've always wanted to take a stab at a d'deridex, but lately ive been really interested in vmblast's E-F Probert concept and thinking of getting into one!

the Warbird has always been a very powerful visual piece, i'm still surprised there have been so few (that i've noticed) meshes done on it!
  • McCMcC373 Posts: 704Member
    For what it's worth, the D'Deridex is on my (very long) list of models to tackle at some point and I don't mind selectively sharing meshes with folks who'll put them to good use (and credit them!). It'll be quite some time before I get around to it, though, so if your need is urgent, I'm probably not your best option. ;)