Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStarTrek DS9

• calamity_sicalamity_si361 Posts: 369Member
    Man, this looks awesome! May I suggest this link from Drexfiles to give you a hand with the correct colouring scheme for this? This guy worked with the model, so you can't really get details from a better source.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/05/22/david-stipes-on-ds9s-parting-shot/
  • gpdesignergpdesigner203 MontrealPosts: 323Member
    May I suggest this link from Drexfiles to give you a hand with the correct colouring scheme for this? This guy worked with the model, so you can't really get details from a better source.

Nice link, I've been to Drex Files before, I think I got some ref images from them a few years back . . .
    I will see if I can contact this person, but until I get word of mouth from the source, my color scheme will stand.

Now on the other hand, here is a link of the skin of the Pylon after shooting it in other than Radiosity and applying more surface treatments to it.
    I think this is closer to what you are envisioning . . .
    gp
    87429.jpg
  • Stevie_DStevie_D191 Posts: 155Member
    Dark, brooding.... very cardassian-y :)
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work here, it's really getting there.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Coming along very nicely.
    Freak wrote: »
    Coming along very nicely.

Thanks Freak . . .
    Not getting a lot of time to work on this but I try to do a little something during the past weeks. Right now I am just inching my way along the pylon maps . . .
    still haven't done the sensors yet but that is next on the list.
    here are some updates . .
    gp
    87570.jpg87571.jpg87572.jpg
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    wow, those docking details are amazing, love it.
  • tobiantobian226 Posts: 1,600Member
    Very nice work on the modelling and texturing, though I worry you often seem to have AA issues with your panel lines. What are your render settings?
  • StarshipStarship465 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,976Member
    Awesome!
    In fact, never mind that DS9 had docking details like those.
    Thanks Tobian,
    my settings are basic to say the least, I am using 3 passes with my camera. I don't know, should I do full blowout renders for my wip images? I just figured a quickie render would be fine. Although it seems that running LW 10 on my machine is a good match . . . check this out,
    I did a render yesturday of the entire station, all 5,235,089 poly's of it . .
    I did a background radiosity shoot with 3 PLD. the scene memory was 1027.8 meg.
    It took 57.5 seconds to render it . . . . Sweet . . . . !
    Here is the shot
    gp
    87587.jpg87588.jpg
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    for some reason I've missed this ... great work!
    Starship wrote: »
    Awesome!
    In fact, never mind that DS9 had docking details like those.

Oh ! I took a few liberty's here and there . . . . This station is in no way cannon . . .
    The lack of ref images on parts of the station left me to my own devices when it came to detail. I just hope I hope I did it justice.
    gp
  • LockeFPLockeFP171 Posts: 0Member
    Which specific details are you missing in regards to the station? I can think of several places where very intricate detailing is visible on the web.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Show, don't tell.
    Memory Alpha Article - full of images, lots of closeups.
    Daystrom Institute Technical Library's entry on DS9 has some exterior shots, but not great ones.
    Ex Astris Scientia has a section devoted to space stations, and several shots of DS9, as well as the schematics.
    This article has a couple of shots of the station that might be useful.
    Thanks for the links LockeFP,
    I have just about all the ref images the internet has to offer . . and then some.
    What I mean by detail I don't have is . . for example, does anyone know what the docking ports on the pylons actually look like?
    you can guess what they appear to look like, but only the people who handled the studio model know for sure, and even then I'll bet the level of detail on the studio model is minor compared to what it should be in an CGI mock-up.
    This topic was discussed here almost 2 years ago so I won't go over it . . lets just say that this isn't a cannon station . . it's more like DS9.1
    gp
    There are some shots here that might help. They aren't of the upper pylon structures, but it does include some close-ups of the docking ports around the ring.

Drex Files has a fairly good representation of the upper pylons as a cutaway. And there are probably more shots there that could help.
    LockeFP wrote: »
    There are some shots here that might help. They aren't of the upper pylon structures, but it does include some close-ups of the docking ports around the ring.

Drex Files has a fairly good representation of the upper pylons as a cutaway. And there are probably more shots there that could help.

lol . . thanks for the help,
    go here . . page one . .
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/showthread.php?36777-StarTrek-DS9&p=268357&viewfull=1#post268357
    :p TM/DR

Sorry. Tried to help, though . . .
    LockeFP wrote: »
    :p TM/DR

Sorry. Tried to help, though . . .

It's all good . . . ;)
    gp
    Ok . . I see everyone doing work on their DS9's and they both look so cool I started feeling like a chump. . . . so feeling embarrassed about procrastination, I thought I should just try and texture mine and get it over with . . .
    I left off at the sensors on the pylons I think the trouble with long breaks is you forget everything . . . :lol:
    gp
    98081.jpg98082.jpg
    The more renders I do the more I see that I may have to do some model tweaking . . Damn . . !!
    98085.jpg98086.jpg
  • VALKYRIE013VALKYRIE013547 Posts: 1,473Member
    Very nice! not complaining of the plethora of DS9's :) pushes the others to make them better :)
  • killakanzkillakanz176 Posts: 112Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    Ok . . I see everyone doing work on their DS9's and they both look so cool I started feeling like a chump. . . .

Man I know that feeling! :p
    killakanz wrote: »
    Man I know that feeling! :p
    LOL . . . . it's a shame aint it . . .
    I just can't seem to get this frakin thing textured. . . .
    After so many years of building it, I have to go in and relearn all the quirks and surfaces involved.
    gp
    98087.jpg
    last update before going to work . . .
    Pylon Doc in stages . . mapping in the base wall at this point . . .
    98087.jpg
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann631 Posts: 1,287Member
    I'm amazed that there's only that one little airlock between the station and the docked ship... I get it in terms of modelmaking but in terms of realism, imagine how long it'd take to get the crew of a Galaxy-Class ship out through one of those.
  • SaquistSaquist1 Posts: 0Member
    That is the most amazing amount of detail on DS9 I've ever seen.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    gpdesigner wrote: »
    The more renders I do the more I see that I may have to do some model tweaking . . Damn . . !!

That is really cool!
    Saquist wrote: »
    That is the most amazing amount of detail on DS9 I've ever seen.

Thanks Saquist, but it comes with a price . . the poly count is off the scale. when I started building it it was a concern, but computer power and speed have increased since then so the poly count isn't as much of an issue anymore.
    Lonewriter wrote: »
    That is really cool!
    Thanks Lonewriter . . cool to see you still out and about . . how are ya?