Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEscape

IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
edited March 2012 in Finished Work #1
over the last couple of years a few people had said to me I should try and get an image in the star trek calendar, so a few months ago I came up with a test render, anyway it wasn't the sort of thing they wanted so now I'm posting it here

I'm sorry the forum added some really awful compression when I uploaded it, that really needs to be fixed
93502.jpg
Post edited by IRML on

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Awesome shot. Such a shame they didn't use it. C'est la vie. This definitely would've been cool to see in the movie. :)
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member
    What a terrific concept.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    a bit too clean. the trails could use some turbulence, the heat effect too.
    something is wrong with the points of interest. there are 2. one is the enterprise saucer, and the other one is the right escape pod.
    they are about the same importance, and the eye is just switching from one to the other, ignoring the rest of the image.
  • RekkertRekkert4281 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,327Member
    Really an amazing concept, too bad they didn't picked it up so that you could develop it further.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • tonygardnertonygardner339 Posts: 15Member
    I like it
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    It's a great concept. One thing that I think lets it down, besides the composition issues L2k touched on, is the lighting on the ship. I think you need another key light throwing some shadows over the bottom of the ship as it is very flat at the moment. I'm assuming the planet was made with the cloud technique you made the tutorial about? It looks photo-real. The problem is, the ship looks very CG at the moment so there's a clash between the two elements.
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Lovely work there, man.
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    Too bad it didn't make it, it's really nice.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    I love the general idea, but I understand why they did not choose it. If you want to improve it, maybe a few suggestions:

- a foreground element would help, e.g. a closeup of one of the escape pods. If you have one big in the front and others very small in the back, you give the image the needed depth.
    - we canA’t see why they are deploying the pods. So you need some damage to the ship or some other threat.
    - the planet looks a bit too clean, not sure what it is, it looks a bit like a smoothed photo of earth.
    - a more dramatic lighting to give it a dangerous atmosphere.
  • RekkertRekkert4281 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,327Member
    - we canA’t see why they are deploying the pods. So you need some damage to the ship or some other threat.
    - the planet looks a bit too clean, not sure what it is, it looks a bit like a smoothed photo of earth.
    - a more dramatic lighting to give it a dangerous atmosphere.

I could be wrong, but I think the scene is supposed to be the one from First Contact.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • TallguyTallguy351 Posts: 468Member

I assumed it was the scene from First Contact. Where the Enterprise-E was still very pristine on the outside.

IRML - The interesting thing about this image is that I think it looks like concept art that I'd see in a "making of" book for a (later) finished scene. I don't know if Drexler has rejected it for all time, but I think you have the makings of a terrific image buried in here.
    Bill "Tallguy" Thomas All I ask is a tall ship...
    Various Work: U.S.S. Constellation - Matt Jefferies Concept Shuttle
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    yeah it's supposed to be the scene from first contact, if you look carefully you can see the deflector has the middle bit missing

there's been some nice comments here, maybe I'll return to this image one day
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    I hope you do, mate. It's definitely got massive potential if reworked a little.
  • FreakFreak1090 Posts: 4,361Member
    That a great pic, would have looked great as a centre fold.
    You should really come back to this one.
  • PearsePearse0 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, I would've loved to see something like this in the calendar. I hope Doug noted your name down, because, as the others have said, this image has great potential.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1216 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,643Member
    Totally calendar-worthy... but at least now I have the coolest new desktop! Great work!
  • Major DiarrhiaMajor Diarrhia331 Posts: 0Member
    This is one of my cycling desktops.
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804743 Posts: 11,267Member
    How did I miss this before? It looks fantastic.

Yeah, the big problem with the calendar is that they want ships (of the line ;)) to be displayed prominently and this has the ship in the background with the escape pods in the foreground. Too bad, though. I think it would make a great spread for the calendar, but I don't get to decide those things.