Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Great work on the phaser bank. Any plans on having the bridge visible through the viewscreen?
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Awesome work, Tobias. I have always been curious how you UV map your saucers. Instead of doing the entire saucer as a whole texture map, I noticed when I was converting your Kelvin to Max, you tile yours around. I was wondering how you do this.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks - the UV mapping is actually not that hard if your program allows for a sperical projection. Then you just project the mapping from a sphere that lies way below the saucer. That way you get a straight layout of the saucer, which you will then have to place properly of course.

Shadow - yes, I have the bridge in there as a texture map. This was the last adjustment I made just after doing the pics :)
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Stunning work on it.
    Today I took the time and created some of the fleet ships of the "art of star trek" book. I assume they are largely based on the Kelvin design, so I heavily reused parts of that. Here are the Mayflower and the Armstrong...
    76070.jpg76073.jpg
    And the Nelson. Plus another quick scratchbuild, the Wilkerson (named after a similar ship in the old Fasa manual).

I plan to use those ships for the background of the SotL picture of the Enterprise, so the detail level should be fine ;)

Tobias
    76076.jpg
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Impressive work
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Absolute and total coolness!
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    marvelous work!!
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    awesome!
  • Mister KMister K171 Posts: 0Member
    wow!!!!!!!!!! :D
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Nicely done.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Ok, now set them up in a killer scene, (with lense flares) :thumb:
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Any chance you could render some orthos of those lovely ships of yours?
  • Jonny BoyJonny Boy1 Posts: 0Member
    Wonderful work, Tobias.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Way to go Tobias! Looks damn good.
    I rendered some orthos of those ships - but remember, these are just my interpretations of the "art of" book, I havenA’t checked them with the movie.

Stupid me had to rebuild the Newton as I had overwritten the file accidently with the Mayflower (ALWAYS check the filename when you import stuff in another scene and save it.... :mad:).
  • ChrisGFXChrisGFX362 GermanyPosts: 607Member
    ultra high quality stuff! I'm not the biggest fan of Star Trek but I always liked it. This models are top 3D work!

*Hi Tobias, wie ich sehe bist Du aus Koln ... ich komme auch aus der Nahe ... ich arbeite in Koln. Vielleicht kann man sich ja mal zum Gedankenaustausch treffen?*

Can't wait for more :)

Chris
  • commandersozocommandersozo555 Posts: 644Member
    awesomeness......!!!
  • Captain_AprilCaptain_April0 Posts: 0Member
    I don't know Maya but it should have a Autobackup folder, perhaps it saved a version before you overwrote it.
    Very nice work, I loved the Kelvin-bash fleet. :D
  • L-GaimL-Gaim0 Posts: 0Member
    I rendered some orthos of those ships - but remember, these are just my interpretations of the "art of" book, I havenA’t checked them with the movie.

Stupid me had to rebuild the Newton as I had overwritten the file accidently with the Mayflower (ALWAYS check the filename when you import stuff in another scene and save it.... :mad:).

Beautiful work! :thumb:

I find your interpretation of the Armstrong is an interesting one with the middle nacelle hanging down from the roll bar and not from a slip of main hull.

The Newton looks good too, while altered a bit.

I like how you did up the "torpedo launchers". The smaller tube pairs look great. They should incorporate that into the actual models for any future movies with those Starship designs.

Thanks for sharing! :D
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks Tobias! :thumb:
    L-Gaim wrote: »
    Beautiful work! :thumb:

I find your interpretation of the Armstrong is an interesting one with the middle nacelle hanging down from the roll bar and not from a slip of main hull.

ThatA’s what I think I see in the "art of" book. Since the saucer is cut out, there is nothing to fix the pylon to, just the rollbar. IA’m sure it poses all kinds of structural problems :devil:
  • L-GaimL-Gaim0 Posts: 0Member
    ThatA’s what I think I see in the "art of" book. Since the saucer is cut out, there is nothing to fix the pylon to, just the rollbar. IA’m sure it poses all kinds of structural problems :devil:

I was thinking that too and all I could think was that it could have a connecting strut to the hub of the main hull for stability. Still, I like the appearance. ;)
    Three ref pics for your consideration. The first is of the fleet before they warp away, gives a real good look at the three-nacelled and two nacelled ship, the other two gives perspective on the two-nacelled and dual engineering hulled ship, one of which gives a good shot of how the secondary hulls connect, the other has a good shot of the warp nacelles. The two nacelled one apparently doesn't have a rollbar and angled nacelle pylons. However, I definitely say you should keep the current one you've made, at least as a variant. :D
    76200.jpg76201.jpg76202.jpg
  • billtfargobilltfargo332 Posts: 6Member
    I agree. Looking at the above on the 3 nacelle, it appears that the impulse engines jut out a bit from the cutout, and that is where the pylon is attached.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    It looks to me like the middle "nacelle" is the secondary hull, attached to underneath the saucer, forward of the impulse engines, with a support pylon attached to the rollbar leaning aft of the impulse drive.
    Thanks for the pics! As I said, my versions were modelled after the "art of" book, not the actual filmed models. They most likely did some other variations. I might make some more variations as well if I need them to populate the picture.
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias (and anyone else), if you're interested, check out a thread that a few of us have had running since before the film's release. Our thread has been one of the longest-running and most thorough effort to figure out and document the most accurate representations of the other ships from STXI - in fact we're pretty sure Bernd from Ex-Astris-Scientia is taking his info from our thread. :)

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/2d-wips/62381-uss-unknown-bg-ship-jj-trek-26.html