Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Lighting

Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
Hi all,
look at this image:
how can i add that green light in front of the hangar doors and under the top of my daedalus?
i've tryed using a lot of omni lights but it's really difficult to achieve that result. If you have some suggestions, please let me know!
Post edited by Davide_sd on

• L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    into max, the omni light should be just fine.
    try the far atenuation, and set the light into inverse square instead of linear
    also, keep small power values
  • CoolhandCoolhand289 Mountain LairPosts: 1,298Member
    "inverse square" I can't stress how important that is for interior lighting, or any kind of 'lamp' situation. but you may find that you need to ramp up the power / multiplier value a LOT depending on where you set the decay to start with, which would be for example, the surface of the light for a flourescent light, or neon or the filiament in a conventional incandescent bulb. of course you can approximate this with a higher start value & lower multiplier if you're not getting too close to the model.
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    ok thanks for the suggestions, hope to get that result! :)
    i worked on this and i setup a lot of omni lights; you can see the result in the attachment; anyway the render time is too high, for that frame over 4h and 30 mins. and i don't use any shadows in the green lights.
    Anyway i'm using mental ray, so i tryed to set up some planes near the surfaces of the ship and give them a Glow (Lume) material; is there a way to hide the planes, but to keep visible the glow effect/lume on the surfaces of the ship?
    71275.jpg
  • L2KL2K0 Posts: 0Member
    object properties>renderable (uncheck that box)

render your planes separately full white (with a fast scanline render) and compose them in photoshop/aftereffect (by using it as a mask)

4h30 seems a bit too much for this kind of render.

i'd first start by loosing the indirect illumination and use an ambiant occlusion material for the ship. that will lower the rendertime
    i'm no MR user, so i cant help much with the renderer setings.
  • spudmonkeyspudmonkey0 Posts: 0Member
    If the light is going to be static then you could simply bake it on to the texture, assuming the texture is unwrapped and not procedural. Otherwise, keep the lighting simple but use a self-illuminating texture which casts light when using final gather to make the light cast the right level of light.

The more lights you have, the greater the render time, so simplicity is definitely the key
    L2K wrote: »
    object properties>renderable (uncheck that box)

no, i've found the solution, thanks to your tips: uncheck the 'Visible to camera' property (in the Object properties), and that's all, in the attchament you can see the result, ok it's just a test and i have to adjust some parameters, but the render time is the same as the one without lights (for this resolution about 4mins 30s).
    Thanks for the tips guys! :)
    71290.jpg