Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• Jonny BoyJonny Boy1 Posts: 0Member
    Um, isn't this your image, Tobias?

Star Trek Star Fleet Insignia Deltashield Medallion - QVC.com

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.C11258.desc.Star-Trek-Set-of-4-Collectors-Medallions

What is going on here, QVC?

Wow, and isn't that the old Star Trek Online delta logo? Are they just recycling old designs and ripping unofficial images to pass off as original merch?
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    Holy sh*t, that IS your picture, Tobias!! They'd better either split the profits with you or take the picture off. This sort of thing has happened with me before...just contact them with your complaint and I'm sure they'll take it down.

It was probably an innocent mistake on their part; they probably thought that your pictures were official Paramount press releases (since your work is kind of awesome like that). ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Nothing innocent about it Promus. All official merchandise art material is sourced through official channels. The only way they could get that image is to get it off Tobias’s website...

So no its pure and simple art theft unless Tobias gave paramount permission to use his images.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for pointing it out - IA’ll try to contact them.
  • IRMLIRML256 Posts: 1,993Member
    Nutsy wrote: »
    its pure and simple art theft unless Tobias gave paramount permission to use his images.
    for a start I don't think paramount would need his permission, they own the rights to all of star trek and its likeness and can probably use whatever they want related to star trek

secondly it's probably just some unofficial cheap tat made in china, I'd imagine that's the real reason tobias has had his image ripped
    Im pretty sure even paramount needs permission to use the works.

But still yeah probebly tat made in China... Well it does say made in china on the webpage :p
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Nutsy wrote: »
    Im pretty sure even paramount needs permission to use the works.

But still yeah probebly tat made in China... Well it does say made in china on the webpage :p

Remember when Fractalsponge's Star Destroyer was used for the "Force Unleashed" game trailer, without asking for permission or even notifying him that they used his model?

I agree with anyone who think this this is wrong on all levels, but unfortunately it's totally legal.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Wired.com has been using some of your pictures in reference to Star Trek articles for a while. While its covered under Fair Use, it would still be nice to ask first
  • Lizzy777Lizzy7771408 PNWPosts: 763Member
    Mr. Wilde wrote: »
    Remember when Fractalsponge's Star Destroyer was used for the "Force Unleashed" game trailer, without asking for permission or even notifying him that they used his model?

I agree with anyone who think this this is wrong on all levels, but unfortunately it's totally legal.

Actually you're confusing differences between Copyright, Intellectual Property and Trademark. Although recent laws passed with the aid (paid for) by MPAA and RIAA lobby are starting to blend and blur those distinctions.

If you build a model of the Enterprise and create scenes of said ship, you own the model and the images via copyright. However Paramount would maintain their IP rights to Star Trek franchise. And the Trek trademark for merchandising. As we've seen with numerous fan films, productions, etc. Paramount is fairly loose with their IP...Unless you 'pirate' their media.

If you make a stylized Enterprise and rendered the scene, all of that is yours. Copyright and IP. The consumer protections inherent under Trademark would limit how you'd be able sell the end product. You definitely wouldn't be able to slap on the Paramount label or anything like that. However you may be able to get away with calling your image/model "Starship Enterprise."

As far as copyrights go, there's also "Fair Use Doctrine." That gives people limited use of copyrighted materials. Like creating derivative works based on existing media or presenting material in scholastic review or commentary.

Where the issue gets muddy here is, are these QVC badges considered a "Derivative" use of artwork and protected under fair use?
    "Cry 'Havoc!,' and let slip the corgies of war!"
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    WOW its like being in my citizenship class in school.
    I'm really just appalled because it seems like they are trying to pass of Tobias's work as something Paramount made exclusively available to them for a licensed product. Its cheap, half-assed, and its really inappropriate. They should have either used official images, or gone to the trouble of having officially licensed renders created for their "exclusive" products, instead of ripping off a (well-crafted) fan-made image.

On a side note, congrats Tobias! Your work certainly warrants the flattery. I would love to see some new renders.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Agreed, didn't he say he'd try to put the new JJPrise up with the classic at some point? lol
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Oh boy here we go again. That debacle about my Hayden is still fresh in my memory, but I guess that's just the way it's going to be :(

Kickass stuff though, Tobias :)
  • madmacsmadmacs0 Posts: 0Member
    New to the thread and a fan of The Light Works DI. This a mastery of work. The Enterprise is so perfectly rendered, in my opinion. It is great to see your work in the FedCon opening presentation in Vimeo. Stunning achievement. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Well I just saw the movieand I'd like to say I have sold out to the JJ prise. I love how modern tech has allowed this ship to be what the 70's couldn't let it be. The scene toward the end when Kirk commands weapons to fire at will, the JJ prise looked like a fire breathing dragon. She REALLY brought it.
    Highly doubtful IRML. The article in question was apparently from ILM, but it claimed the "fins" moved at warp. Nothing I've seen thus far suggest that anything on the nacelles can move.

Yes, those nice organic fins on top of the nacelles do in fact move.

Look closer.
  • ettylkaettylka0 Posts: 0Member
    I've seen it a couple of times and you can catch it in the trailers if you look close. It appears that the fins have three or four separations that extend out from the nacelle. From within is a bright energy glow. It's most obvious in the scene when Sulu forgets to disengage the "parking break".
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    The final scene where the Spock does the intro speech shows the main deflector open out into a star shape and as the camera pans to the back you see the fins lift up with the white glow underneath.
    Yes, the movie made me eat my words in regard to moving parts on the Enterprise, especially since they look nice. ^_^

And yes, the Enterprise firing all weapons on the Narada was pure bad-assery.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Breathing some life into this old thread....

IA’m starting to update my model of the JJPrise to match the ILM original. With some excellent reference material, I hope to be able to get very close to that. A short test has unfortunately proved that I probably have to rebuild the secondary section. I was able to tweak my shape to match the outlines, but there are a few areas that I just cannot change that way :(

I started adjusting the warpnacelles - here you can see the changes IA’ve made. I was able to reuse most of the basic shape. I still have to do the opening elements on the fins.

Stay tuned for more next week...
    75510.jpg
  • adjunct37betaadjunct37beta348 Seattle, WAPosts: 60Member
    exciting!!
    Wow, that's really cool! Where did you find your new reference pictures - the DVD, I'm assuming?
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice update Tobias, look forward to seeing it finished.
  • deg3Ddeg3D0 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, dude! It'a amazing how well you did with the old one, with the ref you had. I look forward to the polished-up version, eh. ;)

deg
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Tobias, out of curiosity, what are you using for reference. I assume you are using the Blu Ray Starship Simulator to check your work, but I was wondering what you are using for actual orthos.

There is one official blueprint from Bad Robot here...

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/blueprints/new-enterprise-schematic-starboard.jpg

Then, Gus Castillo used that as a base to finish the other ortho views, which are pretty good. However, always check his orthos against the ILM model on the Blu Ray to be sure.

(Scroll Down a bit)
    GOODSTUFF 2: La nueva Enterprise / The All New Enterprise

These are the references I have been using to build my version, and I wondered if that's what you've been doing as well.
    Awesome! I'm really looking forward to seeing your revised ship. And congrats on getting into the Ships of the Line 2011 Calender!
    Huh. I had one of those old comedy sitcom moments, sort of. The instant I saw this thread back on the top page, I thought "What idiot bumped this thread?!" Then I saw it was Tobias...oops. :P

Looks good, though I'm sorry to hear about the secondary hull. Good luck on it.
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1220 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,647Member
    There's a TON of good refs of the warp nacelles and fins in the art book... probably one of the refs he's using.
    The instant I saw this thread back on the top page, I thought "What idiot bumped this thread?!" Then I saw it was Tobias...oops. :P

I'm glad I'm not the only one! The exact same thing happened with me. :lol:
  • bobafettbobafett0 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias you are inspiring us all! And look forward to seeing you in SOTL.