Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• CrimsonLineCrimsonLine171 Posts: 0Member
    The new warp effect is AWESOME! I love the tendrils.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Tobias, if it's helpful, there is some new reference up on the official site...

Star Trek | The Enterprise Project | Official Movie Site | In Theaters May 2009 | Star Trek Movie

Ignore the paint jobs, but this is a model that was molded based off the CG model from ILM, so it should be fairly accurate in shape and dimensions, and they have almost orthographic views. Epsecially Enterprise 23, which has an almost dead on side view.
  • EndeavourEndeavour331 Posts: 0Member
    Several of those have really good shots of the shuttlebay...seems everyone's dubiousness was a little premature.
  • bobafettbobafett0 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias the animation is superb! I like how the warp tentrils pass the Enterprise once she's jumped out of warp.....keeps the momentum going to the shot.
    Fantastic work!
  • cornflakes87cornflakes870 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias, if you check out startrekmovie.com they added new panoramas of the bridge and it shows the warp effect on the viewscreen if you click on it. just a little help.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Tobias, if you check out startrekmovie.com they added new panoramas of the bridge and it shows the warp effect on the viewscreen if you click on it. just a little help.
    Weird set, for a trek movie. It looks futuristic, but too gaudy for my taste. but it looks like they kept it vaguely recognizable as a star trek bridge. cant say i like it, but itll prob grow on me.

Tobias, just saw the new animation posted - awesome, it feels like you stole it from the movie :thumb:
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Thanks for your feedback. I noticed the pics on the official page. The warp pics seem to be all in-warp, we havenA’t seen the E coming out of the warp, so it could look all sort of things. I might tweak the tendril a bit to make them a bit more subtle.

Based on those models (boy, did some of them go crazy or what?:o) I guess I have to do some tweaking to the proportions of the secondary hull. Nothing major I hope...
  • juanxerjuanxer331 Posts: 0Member
    I look forward to reading Cinefex' article about this film, plus any interview to the ILMers in the usual VFX websites: it must have been fun for the company to come back to the franchise in such a nearly no-holds-barred all-renewal way.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    I don't think it's as bad as it might seem. Maybe a few small changes. Hopefully.
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Thanks for your feedback. I noticed the pics on the official page. The warp pics seem to be all in-warp, we havenA’t seen the E coming out of the warp, so it could look all sort of things. I might tweak the tendril a bit to make them a bit more subtle.

Based on those models (boy, did some of them go crazy or what?:o) I guess I have to do some tweaking to the proportions of the secondary hull. Nothing major I hope...
    THAT is absolutely perfect. I wouldn't change anything. :)

I watched it over, and over, and over....

:)
  • vreenak-01vreenak-010 Posts: 0Member
    Hi, does anyone have a download of the new Enterprise and Kelvin for 3d MAX?
    Tobias hasn't made the Enterprise mesh public yet, and I don't think the Kelvin's been converted to Max.
  • FalstaffFalstaff0 Posts: 0Member
    Tobias, I really like your new warp effect. Well done. The clip is really nice, but it'll be interesting to see if the camera pan is anything like how the ship is shot in the new movie. Your clip looks like it could fit in with any of the classic movies, however from what I've seen of this new movie, I think the Enterprise will move faster, more fluid, perhaps loosing some of the majesty of the earlier movies. More Millenium Falcon fast and less TMP beauty passes.
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    I added a few things to the warp effect - mainly some "tendrils" and a space ripple (maybe that gets lost in the half resolution). I like it much better now - what do you think?

www.thelightworks.com/tmp/Fedcon18_wip_sml.mov

That looks very good. I like those 'tendrils'

I noticed that your camera-moves are very steady; you are not going to use the more 'hand-held' approach they seem to employ in the new movie?
    Falstaff wrote: »
    More Millenium Falcon fast and less TMP beauty passes.

Uhh, technically, the Enterprise should be able to move a heckuva lot faster than the Falcon at full impulse. Remember, we've seen maybe a total of five minutes from a two hour film, and only about a minute of Enterprise total. Considering that one of JJ's big Star Trek memories revolves around that huge 5-6 minute fly around of the refit Enterprise in TMP, I think we'll see a good amount of beauty passes as well as quick flight during battle.
  • adjunct37betaadjunct37beta348 Seattle, WAPosts: 60Member
    Tobias - As always, amazing work. You asked for opinions so here is mine. I actually don't mind the tendrils so much, maybe make them a little less obvious, or fade them a bit more or something. I'd keep the distortion maybe even add a little more, you can see it a little on the 1/2 res video and it looks pretty cool. I figured out what is bugging me a little about the ship coming out of warp.

Here's what happens, you see a light burst and rays of light shoot out of the warp point then the ship itself comes out of the jump and goes about 3/4 of the way up the 'light trail'. As the ship slows down it doesn't come to the full apex of the light trail, it slows down at which time the light trail reverses direction back into the ship. entwarpout.jpg
    It is this reverse of motion that, I think, disrupts the fluidity of the deceleration you're trying to accomplish. I think, in order to accomplish this fully you need you have all of the motion heading in the same direction, basically from left to right in the direction of the ship.

A solution to this may be to have the ship ride the full length of the light ray and come all the way to the apex of the light trail OR do an updated version of the effect they've done in the past by having the light trails follow the ship as it comes out of warp.

I do like the effect you've done and your work is outSTANDING, just adding my two cents...hopefully not offensively.:thumb:
    66724.jpg
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    That's a good point about the light trail reversing.

I think the tendrils are too large and to few. It seems to look a bit more like cigarette smoke in the trailers, I think.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Uhh, technically, the Enterprise should be able to move a heckuva lot faster than the Falcon at full impulse.

I believe the point that was trying to be made was this: On screen, the Falcon looks like it is moving fast whereas the Enterprise looks big and lumbering. Basically, it was said that it'd be nice to see the E look more agile..
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    Wow, amazing video...
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    juanxer wrote: »
    I look forward to reading Cinefex' article about this film, plus any interview to the ILMers in the usual VFX websites: it must have been fun for the company to come back to the franchise in such a nearly no-holds-barred all-renewal way.
    where would these ILM interviews be held/posted? I know cgtalk prob will have something, but where else?
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Tobias, I ran across these, could be helpful. The movie site has updated their Enterprise gallery with the FX company painted model we saw originally. Better lighting shows off it's texture. The nacelles are drooping something awful though, so ignore that. Thought these might be useful.

e_xi_01.jpg
    e_xi_02.jpg
    e_xi_03.jpg

Alternatively, you can go to this page, and it's the first one on the menu...

http://www.startrekmovie.com/modelgallery/
    The nacelles are drooping and the mid-bar in the port bussard collector is off center. Best side view is Enterprise #23. Wonder why the majority of them have drooping nacelles though?
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Ah, another model suffering from DNS (Drooping Nacelle Syndrome), just like the old AMT models of the TOS Enterprise. Must be a genetic or hereditary thing. :lol:
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    Oh man, that site is too fascinating by far. I've never considered the Enterprise as pop-art installation. I don't know which one I like more: the Skateboard-prise, or the chocolate-coated Enterprise with cream filling and sprinkles. :D

I imagine the nacelles droop cause these models have been manhandled and shipped all over the place. Bad UPS! No biscuit!

The warp effect is coming along nicely, though I agree that the tendrils ought to dissipate quicker.

I just noticed something kind of cool about the "official" warp effect in the trailer -- to me it looks like it comes in two components: there's the warp "trail", sort of like the effect in the original movies, and a sort of very tight "tunnel" effect surrounding the ship. It gives the sense that not only are the engines blasting the Enterprise forward at incredible speeds, but they're also continuously punching an Enterprise-shaped hole in spacetime to go even faster.

Just a random observation. :)
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    Must be just the softness of the resin they use to build the thing, the only way they could solve that problem is support the nacelles with metals roads or make the entire model out of a polystone material.
  • zillabeastzillabeast335 Posts: 28Member
    Ahhh she's pearly white and beautiful, just like the Ent-A at the end of Star Trek IV! Love it!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I definitely got the Star Trek IV vibe, both from the ship and the bridge -- very white and brightly lit, with many blue highlights on the consoles and exterior.

Tobias, your work awes me, and even moves me to break my longtime devotion to being a lurker. I cannot wait to see your finished animation.
    Unfortunately, we will, unless you're lucky enough to be going to FedCon.
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    I was thinking, for the warp effect, loose the swirls. If you've seen warp effect on the bridge panorama, you can see it looks like the old streaking on steroids. So maybe, as the ship approaches, there are lots of lights facing forwards, while it approaches the streaks move towards the back of the ship.

The best way I would describe it is if you had a light inside of a light passing by with a bunch of small holes, know what I mean...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I love the effect, especialy the tendrils.
    Something would happen if space folds and it obviously would bend light in some way, I do however agree about the lightbeam going to far and then reversing.
    That might have worked for the whoosh efect of the stargate wormhole, but you shouldn't have that beam of light travel from the horizon of the warpexit point a fair way into normal space and then reverse while the E appears.
    I think it would look better if you shift the beam back a bit so the ship appears at the furthest point out of the lightbeam.
    Now you get the impression that the ship enters normal space and bounces back, because we expect the motion to go in 1 direction.,

Pitty i cannot go to FedCon this year though, i understand there is a viewing of the movie at the cinemax for the FedCon public.
    So that would have been a good weekend :)