Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Yeesh! I was in love with the still pictures of this model, but now, seeing it in action...oh my goodness. Not sure if my heart can take it.

The YouTube clip does seem a bit dark (the ship does appear brighter in the previews), but that may be just the compression of the video.

As for the warp effect, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what we see in the preview. It happens so darn fast! I'm used to Trek warp effects having a bit more of a build-up, but in this new movie is just seems to go "boom" right into warp. That being the case, your effect works fine for me. I don't see any reason to change anything.
  • TrekologistTrekologist0 Posts: 0Member
    The Warp Effect is AMAZING!!!
    I love how you see a flash and the E comes right out of warp! This effect does a really good job of conveying the power of the warp engines, and the fact that the ship can't be seen the space around the ship is returned to normal. I'm looking forward to the full animation! :thumb:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    You know what I think would really make the warp effect especially good?

If the very moment the Enterprise appears and the bright light leaves, a very quick little ripple went out. For years i've always imagined the warp bubble actually warping light, since its actually warping space all around it and that is why the stars look stretched during warp.

A quick little ripple would imply the kind of technology that is behind its method of travel while adding a little more pizazz to the overall effect.

In short, I think it would look pretty damn cool.
  • ColourbrandColourbrand0 Posts: 0Member
    Sorry - even with that snipet of the movie - this "reimagined" Enterprise still looks more like a charactacture of the original vessel, kind of thing shown when people who hate or take the urine of Star Trek and its charatcers use to empasise their point....

And the bay - still stinks. If from what I have seen from all the pics and schematics show, that hanger has the height of the airlock doors...

What do the shuttles do - limbo in?

Maybe I am wrong..but...
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    Urine?

Moving on... fantastic clip, I wished it could have been a tad longer, just to see the full ship.
    The warp effect was great however I probably agree that the re-imagined warp is going to be alot more chaotic in appearance.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Updated picture number 4 as well :)

The music in the clip is just temporary - the real music is currently in the works

Thanks for your suggestions with the warp drive. Maybe IA’m going to tweak it a bit.
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    Colourbrand: Right. Got it. Not a fan. But we're trying to keep at least semi-on-track here, so perhaps you could confine comments to tobias' excellent model, please?

Tobias: You mean you're getting original music written for your animation? Wow, this convention you're doing this for really pulls out all the stops!
    The convention is the Federation Convention (FEDCON - Europe's biggest STAR-TREK & SCIFI-Convention). The music is done by another fan, who does it for glory and fame, like me :) He has done a great job with the first half, and I think the second half will be equally great. The sound effects are currently produced by OneBuckFilms, looking forward to those as well.
    Just looked at the FedCon site... wow. Makes me wish I was in Europe! :D

The double-hulled Enterprise/Firefly/BSG mashup on the front page is really well done, BTW. Is she one of yours (or someone else at the Light Works)?

The guy doing the music, does he have a site as well? I'd love to hear some of his stuff
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    sakenobi18 wrote: »
    That definitely seems to be a violation. you can report this to ebay, i think you should.
    Ooh. Not cool in the slightest.
    Thanks for pointing that out. Seems the guy is doing that regularly. I shot him an email. If he does not respond, IA’ll contact ebay.

The composers site is this one: Hetoreyn - The composers offical site
  • Well I certainly reported that eBay listing (below). This sort of thing is going to happen a lot now, not only because of the high profile attention on the new movie, but because of hard economic times. This eBay lister seems to have been on since 2002 and obviously knows better.

You're too nice Tobias. I have no sympathy for people like that who tread on artists like yourself--or Church's work. No, this will be a bad day for this seller I'm afraid. It's a blatant money-grab and clear-cut infringement on many levels.
    carlg wrote: »
    Colourbrand: Right. Got it. Not a fan. But we're trying to keep at least semi-on-track here, so perhaps you could confine comments to tobias' excellent model, please?

Tobias: You mean you're getting original music written for your animation? Wow, this convention you're doing this for really pulls out all the stops!

Oops!

Sorry Carlg
    No worries, Colourbrand. Just concerned about the derail-age. You know how it is. :)
    carlg wrote: »
    No worries, Colourbrand. Just concerned about the derail-age. You know how it is. :)

Know what ya mean - as a piece of art and the effort =- plaudits to Tobias!

Wonder if he likes being called Toby....
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    I have no qualms; i reported it to ebay as well. He should have asked your permission; besides, i dont believe he can legally make a profit as the IP belongs to paramount. Trademark violations and that.

/EDIT: I just checked the listing; it appears that the seller has taken it down, or it was removed by ebay.
    Well I certainly reported that eBay listing (below). This sort of thing is going to happen a lot now, not only because of the high profile attention on the new movie, but because of hard economic times. This eBay lister seems to have been on since 2002 and obviously knows better.

You're too nice Tobias. I have no sympathy for people like that who tread on artists like yourself--or Church's work. No, this will be a bad day for this seller I'm afraid. It's a blatant money-grab and clear-cut infringement on many levels.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Wow, some people have NO shame. :(
  • I just checked the listing; it appears that the seller has taken it down, or it was removed by ebay.

I sent him a ''cordial'' message via eBay and he responded to me directly to note that he had taken the item down on his own volition. He indicated that he had just ''purchased it'' and while part of me is curious whether that is indeed true or just a story, I have accomplished what I set out to--getting the item withdrawn. Hopefully this is a wake-up call for him.
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    I have no qualms; i reported it to ebay as well.

Lol, me too! :devil:
    I added a few things to the warp effect - mainly some "tendrils" and a space ripple (maybe that gets lost in the half resolution). I like it much better now - what do you think?

www.thelightworks.com/tmp/Fedcon18_wip_sml.mov
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    I added a few things to the warp effect - mainly some "tendrils" and a space ripple (maybe that gets lost in the half resolution). I like it much better now - what do you think?

www.thelightworks.com/tmp/Fedcon18_wip_sml.mov

I don't know. I'm not a fan of the tendrils. It's just too showy. I personally loved the first warp effect you did. It shouldn't be too flashy and draw attention to itself.
  • <:K.I.S:><:K.I.S:>0 Posts: 0Member
    I do like it alot and i think that ou should keep the tendrils but possibly make them more transparent
  • OneBuckFilmsOneBuckFilms171 Posts: 0Member
    Those tendrils look like a good match for the warp jumps seen in the Trailer. The sense of chaos it adds is great !!!
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    Yeah I really like them, they probably could dissipate a bit more quickly though.
  • SanderleeSanderlee1 Posts: 0Member
    Very snazzy little anim.

Not so sure about the tendrils either (they're very reminiscent of Andromeda's "Slipstream" effect ... esp. in the later seasons where the slipstream tendrils were a bit more aggressive and interactive). But, if that's what it's going to look like On The Big Screen (tm) then ... cool!

Just cause it's similar to something else doesn't make it bad. Just might take a bit of getting used to.

Either way, nice clip!
  • sakenobi18sakenobi180 Posts: 0Member
    I liked the effect alot! Its definitely a new look, but still feels like Star Trek to me. Just a little suggestion (although you might as well just pay no heed to my noobish comment) Make a slight "after image" that kind of catches up with the Enterprise after the initial warp-in. Not super long or last a long time but a quick little blur of light that races to catch up would be neat, imho.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    Neat, though I do agree that the tendrils need to dissipate a little sooner.
  • Here I'd like to see a blue shift in color then to normal--something to indicate that something is briefly approaching much faster than light and is thus shifting/compressing the color spectrum. Conversely, I'd also like to see a red shift when warping out, as similarly, light wavelengths are being ''stretched'' or elongated. Tendrils or not, this has been my long-time wish.