Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    I don't think that the 1701 enterprise ever was considered a carrier even in the TMP incarnation the hangar bay was nothing more than a a helipad on a present day frigate is.
    In later movies we see that the hangarbay only has room for 2 shuttles, the cargobay is deeper into the engineering hull, which had a lot of unused space and was quite oversized in the original TOS and TMP designs taking into account the function.
    Scratch the arboretum and turn it into a cargobay. Now that would make sense.
    So i gues that a landing pad for 2 shuttles would fit in the back and the cargobay and storage area's would be more forward and lower in the belly of the engineering hull, with maybe big doors in the bottom of the engineering hull, much like the dinky toy TOS enterprise :)
    Besides, when ever did the interior of a Trek Ship fit into the exterior?
    The Trek designers constructed all their interiors in subspace bubbles it seems :)

I like Tobias's design a lot, i guess it's pretty good dimension wise and it is a very good representation of what we see in the trailers.
    It would be a blast to make it watertight and devide it into parts for a kit to prototype.
    A lot better than my attempts at making a model of the trailer version.
    It still remains to be seen if it is the final version, since they might have used a different version for the trailers.
    All they would have to do is render a few shots of a different model and replace the corresponding layer of the used footage.
    I wouldn't put it past paramount to do just that.
  • Shadowknight1Shadowknight10 Posts: 0Member
    I think the confusion comes from the fact that there have to be plasma transfer conduits going up through the pylons to the warp engines from main engineering, and they'd have to squeeze into the shuttlebay. Though I doubt it's that difficult.

As for Paramount using a different model for the film, I highly doubt it. You need to remember, the film was done months ago. It's literally been ready to show since January-ish. So everything being shown in the trailers is, essentially, the finished product. Tobias's version is very close to all the reference we have. To get any closer, he would probably have to rebuild the entire aft section of the engineering hull. Which I doubt he wants to do. The new design is very curvy and graceful, but if I'm right, those curves mean a lot of poly work.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    I think the confusion comes from the fact that there have to be plasma transfer conduits going up through the pylons to the warp engines from main engineering, and they'd have to squeeze into the shuttlebay. Though I doubt it's that difficult.

As for Paramount using a different model for the film, I highly doubt it. You need to remember, the film was done months ago. It's literally been ready to show since January-ish. So everything being shown in the trailers is, essentially, the finished product. Tobias's version is very close to all the reference we have. To get any closer, he would probably have to rebuild the entire aft section of the engineering hull. Which I doubt he wants to do. The new design is very curvy and graceful, but if I'm right, those curves mean a lot of poly work.

in TMP they had this vast cargo bay with a shuttle storage and launch area that could fit a handful of shuttlecraft. not a carrier, but more than 2 for sure.
    I agree that it is extremely unlikely for them to use a different model- its a new enterprise, and they dont want fans walking into the theater and saying "wtf, they chnaged enterprise! this movie sucks!" therefore they've given us time to get used to it,
    Well homerpalooza, it only had that huge cargo bay/shuttle area in TMP. It did not have it in ST5, which was the only other time they showed the refit-configuration Enterprise's shuttlebay. Even so, the original TOS Enterprise didn't have a lot of shuttle room either. They had what, one shuttle?
  • yotsuyayotsuya177 Posts: 13Member
    Well homerpalooza, it only had that huge cargo bay/shuttle area in TMP. It did not have it in ST5, which was the only other time they showed the refit-configuration Enterprise's shuttlebay. Even so, the original TOS Enterprise didn't have a lot of shuttle room either. They had what, one shuttle?

Not that I want to continue heading off topic, but I wish to point out two things. First the Enterprise seen in TMP ant ST5 are different ships. Second, the front of the hanger in ST5 as 2 large doors that could lead to the same type of space seen in TMP, just in a slightly different configuration.

Now from the way Tobias has built this model, this Enterprise has plenty of room for a hanger. It seems much lower and slightly narrower, but any of the shuttles from the original timeline trek would fit in it. I don't know the scale of shuttles that they may be using, but it should have room.

And regarding the design esthetic, Tobias was kind enough to do a slight edit to this design to make it more like the TOS enterprise by moving the eng hull down and aft and it looked much better. That plus moving the nacelles apart would fix what I see as the cartoonish aspect of the design without changing the details of this new design. I would love to see a full 3d rendering of this design layed out according to the TOS proportions.
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    IA’ve updated the wallpapers on our site
    The Light Works - Digital Imagery
    with the revised model.

Shadow - we rebuild the aft section to match the curvature already last week (I think IA’ve posted this). The hangar doors themselves might need more work, but I wonA’t do anything there until I have good ref pics. Depending on how they attach the pylons internally, I think thereA’s enough room for a shuttle bay.

Yotsuya - I did not edit the model in any form to make it look more like the TOS version. Although I personally would like to see that theyA’ve kept those basic lines, I tried to recreate the ship as close as possible to the on-screen version.
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    Excellent as usual!

I was looking over the new poster images that came out, namely the one with the Enterprise getting shot up.

I must say I hope the engines do have that white glow around the edges.

Most exciting for me though, it looks like the the horizontal bar rotates - you can see from the below image that bars on both nacelles are not central any more, maybe a warp speed only thing?
    66524.jpg
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    Unimatrix wrote: »
    Excellent as usual!

I was looking over the new poster images that came out, namely the one with the Enterprise getting shot up.

I must say I hope the engines do have that white glow around the edges.

Most exciting for me though, it looks like the the horizontal bar rotates - you can see from the below image that bars on both nacelles are not central any more, maybe a warp speed only thing?
    Hey, where did you find a poster that high resolution? I've been hunting for one!

:)

Awesome updates, Tobias. Can't wait to see that animation you're working one.
  • UnimatrixUnimatrix0 Posts: 0Member
    Hey, where did you find a poster that high resolution? I've been hunting for one!

I've attached the whole poster, enjoy.
    66525.jpg
    I highly doubt that the poster is a reliable source. IA’m sure some artist has been altering the rendering (IF it is based on a rendering and not completely painted) quite heavily and that the glow on the nacelle is just an artists interpretation. It looks cool, but I doubt weA’ll be seeing that in the movie.
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Well here is a render of the ILM model. The bussards look a little different than in the poster. STPoptart_b.jpg

Also Tobias, could you explain how you UV map your saucers? I know you only use a couple of varying panel textures like on your Kelvin, but your saucers always looks so nice and random. Could you give a quick rundown of how you do it? I know you use Maya, and I use 3ds max, but perhaps there is a way I could adapt it.
  • yotsuyayotsuya177 Posts: 13Member
    Yotsuya - I did not edit the model in any form to make it look more like the TOS version. Although I personally would like to see that theyA’ve kept those basic lines, I tried to recreate the ship as close as possible to the on-screen version.

Ah, sorry. someone took your ortho rendering of the side and moved the eng hull down and back. I saved the file so I don't know who posted it and I'm too lazy to look. Still, I would love to see that revision of the design rendered (also with the nacelles at the TOS proportional distance appart).

I'd also like point out that the poster provided by Unimatrix is a photo composite, not a painting. They may have altered the coloring and done some other editing, but the model as pictured would be a direct rendering, either for the poster or for an effects shot. Until we see the completed film, we cannot know all of the various characteristics of the ship. The images in the trailers give us a limited perspective on the ship's functions. Perhaps the poster art shows another or perhaps it has been edited on. We will have to wait an see.
    Well, in the image, if y ou look closely, it looks like the entire nacelle is rotated.

I know someone a while back said that the nacelles "vector", maybe they actually do?
    Hmmm, upon inspection, it doesn't look like the whole nacelle is rotated, just the bussard collector's mid-bar. Odd. And some other renders of the ship for the Kelloggs stuff has surfaced, some with dark bussards, some with bright blue. :confused:

Edit: Also, great new renders there Tobias, some of the new additions really bring life to some of the wallpapers. :thumb:
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Not that it makes much difference at this point to the construction of Tobias' model, but here's a collage of pictures from the Playmates Toys website of their version of the Enterprise. Of course, toys are rarely the best references in terms of accuracy to on-screen vessels, but these images to provide some interesting views just the same.
    66539.jpg
    IA’ve updated the wallpapers on our site
    The Light Works - Digital Imagery
    with the revised model.

Tobias, wallpaper 4 isn't updated. :confused:
    Yeah I noticed that about 4 as well.

Anyways, loving the new caps Tobias.
    Well done.

Looking forward to seeing some new renders or animations soon...maybe..yeah? :D
    Sharp eye :) - yes I spared that one, because the changes visible from that angle were so minimal.
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    Nice work sir.
    Uploaded a short excerpt from the animation:
    YouTube - warpin

What do you think about the Warp effect?
    Minimal changes? The bussards, the missing "ring" on the saucer, the new spot lights, the updated torpedo launcher, and it seems like you also updated the deflector slight in other pics...I was kinda hoping for more with the bussards cause I like the new effect. >_>

Gahh, stupid Staples' wireless won't let me view the video. I'll be back on later though and watch it.
  • IRMLIRML256 Posts: 1,993Member
    I think the warp effect is probably too old school for use with the new enterprise, and the music isn't right for the scene, but the visuals are nice, maybe the enterprise could do with being whiter though - in that video it looked more like the kelvin colour

also I'm finding that the video is stuttering now and then, but that's not a problem with the graphics obviously
  • JohnnyMuffintopJohnnyMuffintop173 Posts: 0Member
    I like the warp effect... just make it... bigger, more choatic, more like an explosion. I keep wanting to use the new Star Trek warp effect (at least what's seen in the trailer) like a sonic boom of light, if that makes any sense.
    I agree... to be more authentic, maybe it should have some irregular shaped "tendrils" (that's probably not the word I want, but the most descriptive) that extend from the shape, and like Johnny said, have it kind of explode.

I like the effect you've picked, though. It's probably more realistic.
  • I like how you went with the Cliff Eidelmann score like I did in my earlier silly little edit of your Kelvin. Aside from the Goldsmith and Horner movie scores, I like Eidelmann's third best.

Looking forward to the final!
  • PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Looks fantastic Tobias. I actually like the warp effect just as it is. Not too showy.

The only thing that jumps out at me is how the whole shot is very "glowy", like a photo filter. It seems a little much to me. Otherwise, well done.

By the way, your aztec material looks great. Any info on your settings?
    B-e-a-utiful! Though I got more of a ST3 vibe from the shot than ST6. Just me. lol Really, top notch animation and I love the spinning bussards. :thumb:
  • cornflakes87cornflakes870 Posts: 0Member
    When i saw the warp effect in the trailer, i got the feeling it was a combination of Star Trek and the effect used in Firefly and Serenity. but thats just me. By the way, great work Tobias
    Wow I love the new animation, cant wait to see more. Looks awesome.

I'm going to be harsh in my critique because its so good. I wanna help you make it perfect.

As one person already mentioned, the enterprise surface looks a little too close to the kelvin. Too dark. The enterprise looks white in the movie. The textures are great, just seems a bit too dark overall.

As for the warp effect, it looks a little two-dimmensional to me and the entrance doesnt look like it matches the perspective of the final arrival. I'm probably wrong, but you guys can take a look and tell me what you think.

warp.jpg

I also think the light of the warp effect extends a little too far. Going a little it ahead of the Enterprise would be ok, but it looks like the light goes significantly farther ahead and it looks weird to me.

Thats all!
    I love your closeup shot of the E approaching the planet from behind. Its really good. A great way to see the ship. The lighting is reallly good, and I love all the little lights on the ship. I really like the new nacelle cap rotating effect, it looks really good.

Any more animations in mind for the future? Perhaps a few shots imitating classing TOS ship shots? (So that just maybe we can edit them into a few episodes, since almost all the shots were repeated anyways? :D)
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    I agree with the above posts that the warp trail should be more chaotic, but I hope you keep the effect extended in front, it's like a way to signify that this energy or whatever it is doesn't obey the same speed of light as the rest of our universe. :)