Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DUSS Enterprise Star Trek 2009

• PixelMagicPixelMagic473 Posts: 663Member
    Yes, I'm guessing it's lens distortion. If you can find out the proper lens distortion for a 75mm lens, perhaps you can add a correcting inverse and undistort it. Just a thought. Is there a chart with proper lens distortion numbers? That would be an interesting read.
  • CrimsonLineCrimsonLine171 Posts: 0Member
    Also keep in mind that the Enterprise toy ship is by Playmates toys, remarkably inaccurate in their ship toys. Why they didn't give the ship license to Art Asylum, I'll never figure out.
  • StarshipStarship482 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,997Member
    Another masterpiece from Tobias... For sure IA’ll be watching this wip. :)
  • In the immortal words of C-3P0 from that ''other'' franchise...

''Here we go again...'':)
  • Mr. WildeMr. Wilde197 Posts: 121Member
    Solid modelling as always.

I'm wondering how many people designed this ship. It looks like each part was made by a different person and put together by yet another one who - in my opinion - had the aesthetic judgment of a five-year-old (sounds harsh, I know).

Each part taken for itself looks great. And I love the nacelles. But the way the parts were put together is just wrong for my tastes. Glueing the parts together according to the old proportions wouldn't have been too painful, I think. They'd have ended up with a much sleeker looking ship, I'd say looking as beautiful as the TMP Enterprise.
    63953.jpg
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    Upper saucer almost done - lots of guesswork - next stop on monday - the bridge - even more guesswork....
  • Davide_sdDavide_sd4 Posts: 0Member
    great! can't wait to see more...
  • OneBuckFilmsOneBuckFilms171 Posts: 0Member
    THIS should be GOOD ...
  • PromusPromus0 Posts: 0Member
    As much as I hate the new design and thinks it looks cheesy as all hell, this looks like it'll be a very cool mesh. Great work as always!! :D

Here's a high-res version of the toy picture:
    Enterprise_HiRes2Rev-1.jpg

Hope that helps!
  • carlgcarlg1 Posts: 0Member
    While I never hated the new Enterprise design, I do agree with Mr. Wilde that each part looks better separate than as a whole. A lot of Ryan Church's vehicle concept art looks that way, IMO. Gorgeous environments, though. :)

OK, derailment over, sorry.

Terrific job so far on the saucer, Tobias! As for guesswork -- to paraphrase a certain someone, I feel a lot more confident about your guesswork than other people's facts. :D
    Tobias, why not use the Trailer and Teaser images to help out?

TrekCore has a lot of captured stills.
    I use every frame of the trailers & teaser that is available, believe me :)
    There are just not that many usable pics like there were with the Kelvin.

But that Highres shot of the toy is great and will be VERY helpful - thanks for that! Saw some details that I got wrong already and will fix those on monday right away.
    Just remember that Playmates toys has a history of inaccurate ship models. The nacelle struts look horrendously thick on that toy, for one thing.
    A high-rez version of the toy pic is now up at Trekmovie.com:

Enterprise_HiRes2Rev.jpg
  • IRMLIRML256 Posts: 1,993Member
    check the previous page lol
    Sorry - when I viewed the thread last, I thought that image was low-rez.
    Redid the back windows on the saucer rim to match the toy - and some details on te fin. New is the complete bridge. It matches the teaser shot fromt the front and the toy for the rest. Impulse drive and warp engines are next...

Tobias
  • IRMLIRML256 Posts: 1,993Member
    awesome, I can't wait to see how you tackle the engineering hull though
  • scifiericscifieric1123 Posts: 1,498Member
    tobiasrichter, you are doing a terrific job on this!
    Looks great Tobias, but the gridlines look a little too soft and wide. Not much though, just a little.
  • BuckaroohawkBuckaroohawk2 Posts: 0Member
    Speaking of panel lines and such...

Tobias, how did you place the planel lines and recessed details on this model? They don't look like "bump maps" to me. I've never had much luck cutting such fine details into my models in MAX. How did you manage it?
    The saucer is finished - last part was the impulse drive. According to the toy, the engines have no visible extension outside the saucer, so I placed them inside. Hope that turns out correct.

I also reworked the gridlines slightly, they are now more consistent and a bit smaller then before.

Buck - these gridlines are modelled into the mesh, as I did on the Kelvin - look here:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/53185-uss-kelvin-9.html
    So far, there are no textures on the model.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Cool work! Can't wait to see the final product! :)
    Gridlines looks good. Nice job. I hopefully will be finishing your Kelvin conversion for Max this week. Life has been crazy, and I haven't had any time to work on it.
  • AndyMAndyM331 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work so far.
    Modelled the basic warpnacelle today out of Nurbs to get a better grip on the shapes. Once they were in place, I converted everything to polygons. So tomorrow IA’ll work on the details of the warpnacelles.
  • madman1701amadman1701a339 Posts: 366Member
    The saucer is finished - last part was the impulse drive. According to the toy, the engines have no visible extension outside the saucer, so I placed them inside. Hope that turns out correct.

I also reworked the gridlines slightly, they are now more consistent and a bit smaller then before.

Buck - these gridlines are modelled into the mesh, as I did on the Kelvin - look here:
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3d-wips/53185-uss-kelvin-9.html
    So far, there are no textures on the model.
    This looks really good! Do you mind if I incorporate this idea into my model?

-=MadMan=-
    Awesome, Tobias.
    Looking really good.
    This looks really good! Do you mind if I incorporate this idea into my model?

-=MadMan=-

By all means, go ahead - I consider this approach pretty basic, IA’m sure a lot of poly modellers do it just the same way. Its the best mix between polycount and look.