Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DCalling all Stargate Fans!

• al3dal3d177 Posts: 0Member
    mikala wrote: »
    Hey Al why don't you throw a quick Stargate mesh out? I'd like to see your take on one.

oh i will once the whole buying a house thing is done. i do personnal project mostly during the winter for some reason.

Wild Wing, PM sent not to embrass you in public.
  • freekzillafreekzilla2 Posts: 0Member
    oh great here we go again. :mad:

BTW: Update on the Europa coming soon. Just putting in some more details. Don't want to go too far with them though, as this is supposed to be a Prometheus era ship, not a Daedalus era ship. (deddy's have more greebling visible on surfaces than the Prommy, not exactly sure why, from a engineering standpoint. From a production standpoint, it's perfectly understandable.) Made a few changes. Be kind, I'm only working with Bryce for cryin out loud.
  • ComcoComco317 Posts: 1,281Administrator
    Believe me when I say that the next post that reads as anything less than constructive or civil will be removed and the poster will have a nice little "time out" to think about their mistake...
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    Look forward to the "winter" project and good luck on the house hunt.
  • mikalamikala176 Posts: 440Member
    freekzilla wrote: »
    oh great here we go again. :mad:

BTW: Update on the Europa coming soon. Just putting in some more details. Don't want to go too far with them though, as this is supposed to be a Prometheus era ship, not a Daedalus era ship. (deddy's have more greebling visible on surfaces than the Prommy, not exactly sure why, from a engineering standpoint. From a production standpoint, it's perfectly understandable.) Made a few changes. Be kind, I'm only working with Bryce for cryin out loud.

Sorry on the double post, but I look for the creativity of the individual not the software they use. Post away and don't worry about it.:)
    mikala wrote: »
    Sorry on the double post, but I look for the creativity of the individual not the software they use. Post away and don't worry about it.:)

Mikala, Danke. Unfortunately Bryce is the only 3d software I am very proficient in. Had been learning Max and LW but had to reformat system, (got a virus from an infected Jump drive), and haven't re-installed Max and LW yet. Cleaned the Jumpdrive on my Mac, thank god for Macs. Very few viruses were written for MacOS, sure does come in handy sometimes.

Anyhoooo, here's what I've done.

1.) got rid of "stepped" front, replaced with a more Prommy type. (looks a little too plain now.)
    2.) added bevel to the edge of the main hull, like the Prommy has.
    3.) decreased sublight engine size.
    4.) added more greebling elements to side "divits"
    5.) enlarged front bottom and rear bottom hull elements, to better accentuate from main hull.
    6.) moved center rail gun group back
    7.) changed side "pontoon" completely. (not sure if I like this change completely.)
    8.) added two windows next to entrance port on "pontoons"
    9.) added and moved the support beam structures in the side "divit" area.
    10.) tried to go through and eliminate any unnecessary right angles from hull structures where possible.

To do list, for now, that I can think of at the moment:
    1.) add cargo doors to "pontoons"
    2.) add "piping" to the mix of greebles
    3.) add more windows to main hull above "divit" area - possibly, but should I?
    4.) add a Prommy type "bump" to the aft bridge section
    5.) add SGC and name decals
    6.) adjust texture to include some specularity.
    7.) Any suggestions?

These are the influences I drew from, from small pieces to major elements:
    1.) SG - Prometheus - overall theme and the majority of elements
    2.) ST Romulan D'deridex class Warbird - the over/under open hull element in the back.
    3.) BSG Galactica - "pontoons" are similar to the Galactica's landing bays in shape, just rotated 90 degrees.
    4.) the movie Titan A.E. - (having the "pontoons" extend beyond that of center hull.
    5.) Optimus Prime's head from original cartoon - front part with rail guns on top, kinda looks like sideburns doesn't it?

PS. Would like to do an "artificial illumination" only version just to see how it looks, IE, the ship lighting itself and no "sunlight".

Belongs to the destroyer/frigate type of ships and is from the same design vein as the Prometheus.

Ideas? Suggestions?
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    i like it, maybe instead of such a large front nose in terms of width, you can keep the same width, but step it just slightly, make like the center area abit farther foward, but still boxy, hope you know what i mean, like continue that front part that you have that ends in what appears to be yellow vent like, all the way around the nose...

and just wondering, is it a f-302'less ship, meaning its like a support frigate relying on other ships ie daed, "carriers", larger vessels, for fighter support...

and ive known alot of people there freek that went from bryce to blender, i know its two entire different programs (ive tried 3ver of max and lightwave), but who knows you might like it...
    i like it, maybe instead of such a large front nose in terms of width, you can keep the same width, but step it just slightly, make like the center area abit farther foward, but still boxy, hope you know what i mean, like continue that front part that you have that ends in what appears to be yellow vent like, all the way around the nose...

and just wondering, is it a f-302'less ship, meaning its like a support frigate relying on other ships ie daed, "carriers", larger vessels, for fighter support...

and ive known alot of people there freek that went from bryce to blender, i know its two entire different programs (ive tried 3ver of max and lightwave), but who knows you might like it...

elitewolverine, yes definitely a F-302'less ship, in the Destroyer/Frigate role. I'm not a big fan of the F-302, only because it has too few missles for my taste and of the lack of propulsion technology requiring so many engines. Seriously, with a fighter that large is should be able to carry atleast 6 missles, not just 4. Also, why use missles that big? The missles used on the F-302 are based on the AIM-120 AMRAAM, which in it's lastest version, the AIM-120C-5, has a range of 65 miles with the D version having nearly twice the C versions range. That's well beyond the visual range, or in other words, you wouldn't be able to see the target. It appears that most engagements in SG occurr at less than 20 miles or so, why not have a modified/enhanced AIM-9 Sidewinder with a different guidance/tracking system? It's lighter, shorter and it might be possible to fit more on the F-302. Slap 6,8, 10 of those puppies on the F-302 and then I'll start making ships to use them. ;)

I think I know what you mean about the nose section. Could be interesting. Was considering putting some windows and greebles there like on the Prommy. And that yellow vent is there because I wanted to do something different from the verticle nose on the Daedalus. I'll play around with it. That nose has been the biggest thorn in my side since polygon one.

I've played around with Max and LW a bit before. Was able to do some simple things without too many headaches. Just gonna take some time to get to know the interface so that I can do things without even thinking about it.

One question though, should I drop the up slanted section on the bottom front of the "pontoons" and just have the verticle go to the bottom?
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    al3d wrote: »
    ah..another new model to never be finished..;)

no worries, fellas.

As for Alain, One can hope tho! :) Never know!
  • elitewolverineelitewolverine171 Posts: 0Member
    hmmm kinda like the pontoons the way you have them right now, maybe after you change the nose if the pontoons look off then yea but for now they look good...

yea i know what you mean by the AIM, now imagine if they used a Phoenix missle ie f-14 style, being able to track against 30+ targets at any altitude and range, fire upon 6 of its targets at 100nm (120miles), never achieve a radar lock untill the last like 500ft (which is traveling so fast its like 2secs worth), all while never seeing your target...mmmm yea, im a long range fighter myself, but as you stated in the show every battle takes place well within visual range, and a smaller adaptation of the sidwinder would have been tons better, or even a missle pod like the apache, which fits like some 20+missles in its pod and they have a range of a few miles, like 5 or something...

but i like the idea of no f-302's, cause it starts to get into the idea of a fleet command style of travel, instead of one ship needing to do everything...this way you can have a few just for weapons, a few just for cargo, on command ship ie carrier etc, few battlecruisers frigates etc....if everything carried a 302, then there would be no need to build better more focused ships smaller or larger than the daedy
  • scorpiusscorpius332 Posts: 0Member
    1.) got rid of "stepped" front, replaced with a more Prommy type. (looks a little too plain now.)

If I'm honest I prefer the front with the steps, I agree with you it now looks a little too plain. Having the steps was a something a little out of the ordinary for SG ships and I think it looked cool
  • Thought i'd post an update on the Cook.

or the Cook Mk 2. thought the old girl was far, far to boxy and brick like, so i'm redesigning here. Thought i'd go right back to the Prometheus roots :)

th_RVCook1.jpg
    (ignore the crap paint job. please. :shiner: )

Expect some sort of 3D stuff soon :) ... maybe :rolleyes:

and freek, this girl's F-302 less too. although she is supposed to be a research ship, so they have no real use!! :lol:

and the Europa "pontoon" thing, i say keep them flat and boxy. you can put some sort of landing gear in them perhaps? my 2 cents....
  • JustinDixonJustinDixon0 Posts: 0Member
    <-- likes
    Choo1701 wrote: »
    Thought i'd post an update on the Cook.

or the Cook Mk 2. thought the old girl was far, far to boxy and brick like, so i'm redesigning here. Thought i'd go right back to the Prometheus roots :)

th_RVCook1.jpg

Real nice work. Kinda reminds me (taking a leaf out of freek's book here with making "interesting" comparisons) of something I remember from my childhood Power Rangers watching days, the...umm...the Astro Megaship I've just looked it up, from Power Rangers in Space. It's mainly just the drives underneath I think but it's what I thought when I saw it.

Anyway, can't wait to see it in 3d anyway!
  • BarBar171 Posts: 0Member
    Ok guys. Major update on my Daedalus class Battlecruiser.

I have done almost the major greeblies and all the panelwork. The mount for the main subspace antenna is in place, and the conning tower atop the flat deck is done and dusted too. In addition, in have now added all but four of the railgun emplacements. Primary and secondary engines are finished.
    All that remains(Aside from the aforementioned railgun turrets), is to make the forward subspace antennae(And the masts over at the rear near the conning tower).
    It's been shot with primer to show up any flaw before final work gets done.
    With luck, and a little bit of free time, it will be sent off for modling in the next two weeks. Hopefully it will not be too long till it's cast up and ready to go.
    I would appreciate any comments.
    Here it is:
    Daedalusreadytoleavedrydock2.jpg

Daedalusreadytoleavedrydock3.jpg

Daedalusreadytoleavedrydock4.jpg

Daedalusreadytoleavedrydock7.jpg

Daedalusreadytoleavedrydock8.jpg

Daedalusreadytoleavedrydock9.jpg

Daedalusreadytoleavedrydock10.jpg
  • that is looking wicked ass sweet man.
  • freekzilla wrote: »
    Mikala, Danke. Unfortunately Bryce is the only 3d software I am very proficient in. Had been learning Max and LW but had to reformat system, (got a virus from an infected Jump drive), and haven't re-installed Max and LW yet. Cleaned the Jumpdrive on my Mac, thank god for Macs. Very few viruses were written for MacOS, sure does come in handy sometimes.

Anyhoooo, here's what I've done.

2.) added bevel to the edge of the main hull, like the Prommy has.
    3.) decreased sublight engine size.
    4.) added more greebling elements to side "divits"
    5.) enlarged front bottom and rear bottom hull elements, to better accentuate from main hull.
    6.) moved center rail gun group back
    7.) changed side "pontoon" completely. (not sure if I like this change completely.)
    8.) added two windows next to entrance port on "pontoons"
    9.) added and moved the support beam structures in the side "divit" area.
    10.) tried to go through and eliminate any unnecessary right angles from hull structures where possible.

To do list, for now, that I can think of at the moment:
    1.) add cargo doors to "pontoons"
    2.) add "piping" to the mix of greebles
    3.) add more windows to main hull above "divit" area - possibly, but should I?
    4.) add a Prommy type "bump" to the aft bridge section
    5.) add SGC and name decals
    6.) adjust texture to include some specularity.
    7.) Any suggestions?

These are the influences I drew from, from small pieces to major elements:
    1.) SG - Prometheus - overall theme and the majority of elements
    2.) ST Romulan D'deridex class Warbird - the over/under open hull element in the back.
    3.) BSG Galactica - "pontoons" are similar to the Galactica's landing bays in shape, just rotated 90 degrees.
    4.) the movie Titan A.E. - (having the "pontoons" extend beyond that of center hull.
    5.) Optimus Prime's head from original cartoon - front part with rail guns on top, kinda looks like sideburns doesn't it?

PS. Would like to do an "artificial illumination" only version just to see how it looks, IE, the ship lighting itself and no "sunlight".

Belongs to the destroyer/frigate type of ships and is from the same design vein as the Prometheus.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Well, I think it looks better than before. What quality do you render your pics on? Seriously, they look so much better than my renders.

@Bar. Looks amazing. Wish I could buy one. :thumb:
    scorpius wrote: »
    If I'm honest I prefer the front with the steps, I agree with you it now looks a little too plain. Having the steps was a something a little out of the ordinary for SG ships and I think it looked cool
    I agree. The new front is just too plain now. I prefer the stepped front as well. Maybe I can re-make the stepped front but with a little less dramatic steps. As far as the out of the ordinary, well you know me. :p:D
    hmmm kinda like the pontoons the way you have them right now, maybe after you change the nose if the pontoons look off then yea but for now they look good...

yea i know what you mean by the AIM, now imagine if they used a Phoenix missle ie f-14 style, being able to track against 30+ targets at any altitude and range, fire upon 6 of its targets at 100nm (120miles), never achieve a radar lock untill the last like 500ft (which is traveling so fast its like 2secs worth), all while never seeing your target...mmmm yea, im a long range fighter myself, but as you stated in the show every battle takes place well within visual range, and a smaller adaptation of the sidwinder would have been tons better, or even a missle pod like the apache, which fits like some 20+missles in its pod and they have a range of a few miles, like 5 or something...

but i like the idea of no f-302's, cause it starts to get into the idea of a fleet command style of travel, instead of one ship needing to do everything...this way you can have a few just for weapons, a few just for cargo, on command ship ie carrier etc, few battlecruisers frigates etc....if everything carried a 302, then there would be no need to build better more focused ships smaller or larger than the daedy
    I agree. The one size fits all deal just doesn't sit well with me. Part of the fun of it is not having a ready made solution to the problem and having to improvise a solution instead. I was a big fan of shows like MacGyver and The A-Team when I was a kid. Always enjoyed the parts where they made something out of junk. Now, I see the Daedalus class as more of a command cruiser than a battle cruiser, but only because it does a little bit of everything but doesn't specialize or have one particular strong point. That's why I focus more on smaller more purpose built designs. As far as missles go, I thought about something. Why would it need a built in radar system? I mean, there are other ways to track and identify a target. What about facial recognition software or something not requiring a transmitted signal. Heck, you could take a fiber optic camera with a CCD and modify it with a quasi target recognition software. Since some CCD's can detect infrared emissions, it could be developed into a sort of missle targeting system. If done right, it could be much smaller than a conventional radar targeting system, leaving more room for warhead and propulsion.
    Choo1701 wrote: »
    Thought i'd post an update on the Cook.

th_RVCook1.jpg

and freek, this girl's F-302 less too. although she is supposed to be a research ship, so they have no real use!! :lol:

and the Europa "pontoon" thing, i say keep them flat and boxy. you can put some sort of landing gear in them perhaps? my 2 cents....

I like this new Cook. I like the new more curves look. I used to be able to draw like that before, but my hands shake too much now, (after the accident). And bad paint job? Must have had it done at Maaco then. LOL!!!!! :lol: Just pulling your leg there Choo. Looks like she'll be pretty good sized, judging by the number of windows in your drawings. And you've done something very right, because I normally think there is something missing if it doesn't have that wide look with hangar bays on each side. So you've hit a sweet spot in this new version's balance. Good job. And, even though it won't carry F-302's, will it be able to deploy/accept a Puddle Jumper type/sized aux craft? If one is developed, they could come in handy. I look forward to seeing how this comes out.
    ...even though it won't carry F-302's, will it be able to deploy/accept a Puddle Jumper type/sized aux craft? If one is developed, they could come in handy.

I think space for aux craft sounds like a good idea. You'd have thought a smaller craft used for closer scans of say nebulae or other spacial bodies etc (used more like the shuttles in Star Trek) would be highly useful.
    Bar wrote: »
    Ok guys. Major update on my Daedalus class Battlecruiser.

I have done almost the major greeblies and all the panelwork. The mount for the main subspace antenna is in place, and the conning tower atop the flat deck is done and dusted too. In addition, in have now added all but four of the railgun emplacements. Primary and secondary engines are finished.
    All that remains(Aside from the aforementioned railgun turrets), is to make the forward subspace antennae(And the masts over at the rear near the conning tower).
    It's been shot with primer to show up any flaw before final work gets done.
    With luck, and a little bit of free time, it will be sent off for modling in the next two weeks. Hopefully it will not be too long till it's cast up and ready to go.
    I would appreciate any comments.
    Here it is:

Well all I can say is I hope Santa brings me one for Christmas. :lol: BTW, how is the final gonna be painted? Is it gonna have just all one color, or are some pieces and parts gonna be painted by hand, IE airbrushed, traditional brush, and in a different color? And by hand I mean detailing.
    ZakeD wrote: »
    Well, I think it looks better than before. What quality do you render your pics on? Seriously, they look so much better than my renders.

@Bar. Looks amazing. Wish I could buy one. :thumb:

I'm not so sure about that front though. Well, the quality is kinda different with Bryce. I render out at 1280 x 960 & 24bit color, and the only renderer in Bryce is Ray Tracing. That's probably the major difference. I also use Anti-Aliasing to smooth things out a bit.

Yes Bar it is amazing. You know, I just had a birthday a week ago, one of those would make for a good birthday gift. And Columbus day is coming up, so is Thanksgiving, Halloween, winter solstice, New Years, and several other holidays. :thumb:;):D j/k LOL!!
    I like this new Cook.

Cheers Justin, freek and scorpius: go go Atlantis Rangers? Maybe Weir could be the big glowing head?!? :shiner: :lol:
    And bad paint job? Must have had it done at Maaco then. LOL!!!!! :lol:

oooo...how about some go faster stripes!?! :devil: Maybe we should paint up one of Bar's models and add some rims and neon lights too!! :cool:

Oh, and Bar: only crit is the railgun domes seem a bit large. Other than that: were do i sigh up for one? :D Great Job buddy. Keep it up she looks spiffy :thumb:
    And, even though it won't carry F-302's, will it be able to deploy/accept a Puddle Jumper type/sized aux craft? If one is developed, they could come in handy. I look forward to seeing how this comes out.

Yeah, i'm thinking about six jumpers or something. (well maybe four and two in kit parts or something?)

And this time i really want to get most of the areas planned out before i start making her in 3D. Imporvising isn't my best talent :lol: I will have something in about a week though, so keep your eyes peeled :thumb: Thanks for the comments so far.
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    I appreciate the railguns are a tad large(They are less than 1.5mm high, of course on the model). There are some details that you have to make larger for them to be properly seen...
    It will be a while before it is ready to buy, and when it is, the buyer can paint it any colour they see fit.
    I am just watching the new season-opener of Atlantis. Hopefully there'll be some more of the Apollo in it.
    Bar.
    I'm not so sure about that front though. Well, the quality is kinda different with Bryce. I render out at 1280 x 960 & 24bit color, and the only renderer in Bryce is Ray Tracing. That's probably the major difference. I also use Anti-Aliasing to smooth things out a bit.

I like the new front better.

And yeah, I know. I use Bryce. I was referring to the quality mode..regular, super, premium? Like..rays per pixel?
  • Finally got some more work done on my Daedalus. I've added the lower layer of hull plating.
    Daedalus46.jpg
    Looking sharp there.
    Well done.
    Bar.
    ZakeD wrote: »
    I like the new front better.

And yeah, I know. I use Bryce. I was referring to the quality mode..regular, super, premium? Like..rays per pixel?

Ah, just regular anti-aliasing. But when I go for gallery type renders, I use either super and premium AA, with atleast 16 rays per pixel in super, and 64 in premium, and a ray depth of 6. Most of the time I just use standard AA for whips. I then take the bmp and convert it to a jpg outside of Bryce. Most programs cannot do justice to images when saving as a jpg from the get go. Photoshop does a much better job. I can do it in a program I have without opening photoshop, it's called ACDsee. I find it's always best to save an original image in the highest quality in the 3d program and then use these other programs to change format and compression. Also allows me to have smaller image data size without as much quality loss. Hope this helps.
  • Amazing model Bar! I really want one all of a sudden, too bad none are actualy being made:(
    Amazing model Bar! I really want one all of a sudden, too bad none are actualy being made:(
    There will be shortly(This one, i mean).
    I too wish that a mainstream model manufacturer would make a model kit of the Daedalus, but that is not likely to happen anytime soon.
    If you look at the percentage of world population, and single out only the people who like to build models from that group, it's an impossibly small number. Then, from that group, single out all the people who like to build scifi subjects. Then from THAT group, single out all the people who want a model of Daedalus, it doesn't make financial sense for a modeling company to make styrene models.
    That's why we do it.
    It costs us less to build and produce, and we lose less if the product is not a hit.
    Bar.
  • Complicated.......oh well, looks like I won't see anything like that anytime soon;) unless you do intend to make more and are planning to sell some? That model just made me think that continuing to model my attempt at making a Daedalus won't work to well or look to good.
    Complicated.......oh well, looks like I won't see anything like that anytime soon;) unless you do intend to make more and are planning to sell some?

Of course!
    That's the whole point of making it and casting it!
    I made the model in sub-assemblies for that very reason:
    CIMG2875.jpg
    Copies of this Daedalus master will totally be for sale at some point in the next few months(I will post when it's available in this thread).
    I also have an "in-scale" Prometheus on the bench(Just needs greeblies):
    DaedalusMKII1.jpg
    DaedalusMKII2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.