Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2D & 3DU.S.S. Decker Bridge

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1188 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,629Member
    Playing with a couple ideas for the aft wall… I have a couple more to jot down, but this is the general idea of usage of space I’m after.

pbch8ehd34me.jpeg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180solaremes
    An idea for the Decker's port and starboard aft circuitry access. I think this is what I'll go with.

fv1k43mmoxxa.jpg
    StarCruiser
    Aft wall idea…

IMG-9436.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180solaremes
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1913 CaliforniaPosts: 2,066Member
    Ok, Gotta ask. Do you work for the New York Police Department?
    Of course the companion question. Survived 911 or were you even close to it?

Your wall is VERY Trek. Works for me.
    BolianAdmiral
    edited June 9 #36
    Unfortunately, never had the honor of being a law enforcement officer… due to medical reasons. I’m just a fervent supporter of the police.

Glad you like the wall idea.
    Post edited by BolianAdmiral on
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804547 Posts: 11,169Member
    Holy crap, a square LCD monitor with buttons on the front and Windows XP. That's some great retro tech. Though, it's nice to see the internet isn't connected on that beast, that would be incredibly dangerous.

The wall design is definitely looking good. Are you going to do some more bridge layouts, schematics and whatnot in 2D CGI? That would be sweet. I love me some good 2D CGI.
    BolianAdmiral
    edited June 10 #38
    Thanks! Lol, yeah, I use the XP machine for all my creative work, and just use the Win 7 machine to post online. I’m glad you like the wall!

I would LIKE to do interior treatments for all the TNG FASA ships, if inspiration strikes me. But since the Decker-Class features in the beginning of my A New Beginning story, I figured I’d start with it.

I use Illustrator and Photoshop CS2.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann681 Posts: 1,328Member
    edited June 10 #39
    I feel like that's gonna be more common in the future, the old setup with the legacy (non-subscription, non-online) software to do things and the internet-connected portal. I'm starting to do that too, I got my legacy Photoshop and Premiere still working on an older laptop that stays offline.
    Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    BolianAdmiral
    edited June 10 #40
    I’m kind of a retro-tech junkie, as I’m a child of the 80’s and 90’s… I’d LIKE to either find or build a Win 98 machine, just for fun. I still have my original NES with two zapper guns and an NES Advantage and first-gen Game Boy, and both still work. I also still have my VHS VCR. I also have two mid-90’s Macintoshes that still work.
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann681 Posts: 1,328Member
    edited June 10 #41
    JEALOUS about thos emid-90s Macintoshes (I know that the software can be emulated in a browser now, and those old machines were power hogs, and I don't know what all I'd DO on one... but it would be nice to go back in time. I still have CD-ROMs of software for it (and I'm sure archive has a lot more that I always wanted but never did). One thing I REALLY miss was the themes in Copland.

Not rocking the NES (minis, yes, but not OG hardware) but I do have an N64 with an HDMI adapter and wireless controller. Also rocking a VHS/DVD-R combo, which was my first DVD player b/c I didn't want to give up my tape collection with the upgrade.
    Post edited by BlueNeumann on
    BolianAdmiral
    I’m kind of a retro-tech junkie, as I’m a child of the 80’s and 90’s… I’d LIKE to either find or build a Win 98 machine, just for fun. I still have my original NES with two zapper guns and an NES Advantage and first-gen Game Boy, and both still work. I also still have my VHS VCR. I also have two mid-90’s Macintoshes that still work.

There's a seller on Ebay that does Win98 machines with old boards and a 3D printed case. Since they're 3D printed, you can get them in a variety of colors. It's $300 for the system, but that's not bad considering what some people want for old computers that were completely built in that era. You can find them by searching Windows 98 computer on Ebay. The listing title is "Custom Color Win98 Gaming Computer (Version 2)"

I watched a video a while back of a bunch of guys in their 20s trying to use one. The video was pretty funny because they weren't prepared for that level of tech. :lol: But, the computers themselves are really cool. I'm thinking of getting one.
    BolianAdmiral
    Oh, nice… I’ll search for that eBay user and check it out!

I’ve been looking at Tadeo’s renders of the Potemkin interiors, and they’ve given me a couple ideas for the Decker, so I’m gonna be playing with ways to integrate them. I also need to redo some decor pieces in Illustrator.
    Okay, question… I had this idea come to me and doodled it out. What do you think?

IMG-9488.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180Brandenberg
    So, the Hera and the Pegasus were both older ships than the D on TNG, and both shared the same corridor design, which made me think of using it for the Decker corridors. Did a quick doodle of it with the Future Imperfect Okudagraphics applied… IDK.

TBH, I’m not a huge fan of those wedge-like things on the bottom, (which later featured prominently on the VOY bridge), because without the bottom floor lights, the corridor is noticeably darker. It can work, though…

oc6tsqlqxm3d.jpeg
    evil_genius_180BrandenbergStarCruisersolaremes
    The corridors of the Enterprise-D were first made for Star Trek Phase II back in the 1970s. :lol: They were literally used to represent technology from almost a century prior to the -D. But, I know what you mean. Obviously, there were only so many sets available, so you saw parts of the Enterprise sets redressed or just used to represent other ships.

But, yeah, I'd say definitely use that corridor design. It will fit with other Starfleet ships from that era nicely.
    BrandenbergBolianAdmiral
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1913 CaliforniaPosts: 2,066Member
    Looks nice. You two paid a lot more attention to this stuff than I did. So all I can say is "Looks nice."
    BolianAdmiral
    Looks nice. You two paid a lot more attention to this stuff than I did. So all I can say is "Looks nice."

It's actually interesting what all was reused for TNG. The Phase II stuff became the TMP sets, since the pilot episode became the movie. Then the corridors were used (mostly) for the Enterprise-D and the TMP bridge set was redressed heavily to become the Enterprise-D's battle bridge. But, TNG gave back, like when they used the Enterprise-D's engine room and transporter room for the Enterprise-A in Star Trek VI, along with the sickbay and Ten Forward sets. Though, Ten Forward was particularly interesting, as it became the Federation President's office.
    BolianAdmiral
    Thanks… yeah, Phase II really got a lot of mileage out of those sets…

@evil_genius_180; Yeah, I’m seriously considering using this corridor. My original plan before I started posting these doodles, was to use the redressed TNG corridor as it appeared in TFF, without the black glass computer panels, to convey a ship with slightly older tech and less luxury… more “barebones”, if you will. But the Hera type also works.

092ewq26dljc.jpeg

evil_genius_180StarCruiser
    I may as well just put this here to clarify/provide some background, as to just where I’m placing the Decker-Class in the timeline, and where I want to take this…

According to the FASA book, the Decker is only slightly longer than a refit Constitution. IMO, given how thin and slender the ship is, that’s WAY, WAY too small. For my own fic’s universe, I’m upsizing the Decker to be as long or roughly as long as an Excelsior. That just makes much more sense to me.

In terms of timeline, again, for my own stuff, I’m placing the ship’s construction sometime around the Niagara and the other Wolf 359 kitbash classes. I’m going with the idea that the Decker was a true replacement for the Excelsior, but also served as a testbed platform for technologies that would eventually find their way to the Galaxy, again, like the Niagara, by using the same nacelles. But the Decker retains an Excelsior-style deflector dish.

My reason for wanting to include a lot of decor elements from ST:V and season 1 of TNG is because I want to create the feel that this ship was commissioned just prior to TNG season 1. I’m adding elements from later seasons, because I figure that like all ships, it would undergo refits and upgrades. The inclusion of the Future Imperfect Okudagraphic decor is because as you’ve seen with Tadeo’s renders of the Zodiac and Quasar bridges, that look is the standard for the TNG-era Starfleet interiors in my fics. I’m using the TNG season 3 circuitry access panels because the season 1 versions on TNG were large wood panels, and I don’t think this kind of ship would have that much wood, or luxury decor elements. And if I made the season 1 version wall color, that’s a LOT of wall color. The fabric season 3 panels help break up too much solid wall color, IMO.

I was going to use the ST: V redress of the TNG corridors for the Decker, but I think now I will, indeed use the Hera-style… the intrusiveness of those wedge-like modules on the bottom further take up floor space, and help convey the narrower and more cramped feel of the Decker.
    So, I’ve contracted someone to build the Decker in 3D (the actual ship, not an interior), so as soon as we have some substantial WIPs to show, I’ll post them here.

I was thinking I might be able to do away with the whole bottom part of the TNG aft stations, and have them the way Rekkert had them on his Anchorage bridge. Just another option to consider.
    evil_genius_180
    I had an idea for the Decker’s Starboard Lounge, which is featured in my fic… has anyone here ever seen the late-70’s sitcom It’s A Living? Imagine that restaurant/bar, but “10-Forward-ized”. I think it can work. Also playing with ideas for the Sickbay.
    Rough plan idea for the starboard lounge…

IMG-9607.jpg
    I'm glad you had the thought to not only put in a piano, but a partition to make sure other people don't have to hear it. :lol:

g7py7kxiwuus.jpg

I'm joking, of course. I love that scene, especially the way Michael Dorn threw himself into the performance.
    BolianAdmiralStarCruiser
    edited June 16 #55
    LOL… the partition is just a waist-high glass divider, similar to the one on the upper level of the Two-Three-Fore lounge on the Quasar. I’m working on some drawings that I’ll post tomorrow. Also doodling out an idea for the sickbay.

MAAYLOOOOOOOTAAAAAAAA!!!
    evil_genius_180
    LOL… the partition is just a waist-high glass divider, similar to the one on the upper level of the Two-Three-Fore lounge on the Quasar. I’m working on some drawings that I’ll post tomorrow. Also doodling out an idea for the sickbay.

MAAYLOOOOOOOTAAAAAAAA!!!

Yeah, I figured that was what you meant by a partition.

And, it's a damn good thing I have TNG on Blu-Ray because now I'm in the mood to watch Unification.
    BolianAdmiral
    So, I figured I'd post the WIP images of the CGI Decker so far. The modeler gave me permission to post the project on his behalf, with credit. The model is being made by Dylan Wassell. He's rethinking the saucer and secondary hull, but his is what he has so far...

decker-01.jpg

decker-02.jpg

decker-03.jpg

decker-04.jpg
    evil_genius_180StarCruiserwibbleLizzy777
    I think it’s time we had some decent-sized cleaned-up profiles…

IMG-1377.jpg
    StarCruiserevil_genius_180
    edited June 18 #59
    Slight update... I just need to add the little bump in the mid-aft top of the secondary hull. My goal is to redraw ONLY the basic original geometry and only the most KEY features, so that I can kind of strip the thing own to bare-bones, and re-detail the ship according to the more appropriate Excelsior-Class scale.

Untitled-1.jpg
    It's in interesting design for sure. It kind of bridges the gap, so to speak, between the Excelsior, Ambassador and Galaxy. In fact, it kind of looks like a test bed ship for different technologies.
    BolianAdmiral
    Yeah, definitely… that’s going to be my approach to it. I think I’ve decided on a length of 525 meters. That puts it just a smidge longer than Excelsior.
    evil_genius_180