Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

AnimationMay The Prophets Forgive Me

Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68342 DetroitPosts: 166Member
edited May 7 in Work in Progress #1
yqibk4km9fd4.jpg

As if I need another project that won't get enough attention...

I've read that the wormhole was made by Rhythm & Hues. They might have used Wavefront Dynamation or their own software.
But I've never found an in-depth article on its creation, or even screen grabs.

Since I like to choose projects no one else is doing, I started analyzing the sequence frame by frame and thinking how the wormhole might have been created - which led me to see if I could approximate it without using particle simulations.

Pretty sure it was done with multiple simulations & some textured vortex geometry all composited together. The growth and shrinking as it appears and disappears looks to just be scaling it up and down.

Plenty more to do, but this IS the Work in Progress section. Gotta fix the terrible camera move and work on animating it bursting to life. I also want to do what the show never did and go THROUGH the opening and into the tunnel in one unbroken shot.
Post edited by Mustang13Camaro68 on
MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
RekkertStarCruisertrekkiBolianAdmiralLizzy777wibbleBrandenberg
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki953 Posts: 1,407Member
    Good start, I like it.
    Keep us informed.
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1120 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,573Member
    Very nice.
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • markmasseymarkmassey513 StaffordshirePosts: 587Member
    Nice man.. not seen anyone recreate the bajoran wormhole to a level anywhere near the the one in the show.. like the stargate kawoosh I'm betting that they used a fair bit of practically shot effects for it as well, not just cgi effects... you're off to a good start.... cant wait to see you progress..
    Mustang13Camaro68
  • Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68342 DetroitPosts: 166Member

Updated with the wormhole growing at the start, a terrible geometry lens flare experiment that's not working, a better but still a little bumpy camera move and some placeholder parts of the tunnel/interior of the wormhole.
    StarCruisertrekkiBrandenbergLizzy777
  • StarshipStarship466 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,978Member
    edited May 17 #6
    I still have the old wormhole built by the Wolfpack team more than 20 years ago. It still renders very well despite it´s age, but it isn´t animated.
    Looks like a good start Mustang! ;)
    Post edited by Starship on
    Starship wrote: »
    I still have the old wormhole built by the Wolfpack team more than 20 years ago. It still renders very well despite it´s age, but it isn´t animated.
    Looks like a good start Mustang! ;)

Interesting. Gonna have to look that up for reference.
  • trekkitrekki953 Posts: 1,407Member
    Nice =)
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1682 CaliforniaPosts: 1,947Member
    Yeah, Really Nice. I would love to know how to do that. A few years ago, someone did the Stargate power up with the liquid billowing out into the room before settling back to the rippling liquid effect inside the gate. You guys are talented.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 782Member
    off to an excellent start, so few people try to do the wormhole, I guess because it'ssuch a complicated effect for a such a niche requirement.

I think you and NeonVisual are the only ones who have, and yours looks more accurate (i presume because you know the platform they'd have made it in better than Neon did).

Can't wait to see te end result.
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class

Thankyou to trekki, BolianAdmiral, markmassey, Starship, Brandenberg & count23 for the nice comments!

-Youtube squashed this video to 16x9 when it didn't the previous 2. Thanks Youtube! Guess I'll have to render 16x9 from here on out.
    -Made the camera move slightly better again. Might just have to live with the "bumps" I perceive when it changes directions.
    -Tweaked the geometry and shaders of the clouds some more. There's still some geometry intersections I need to fix.
    -Need to add the dome in the middle iris-ing open.
    -God Rays of light in the center are terrible. Gonna have to redo that material or think up a new way to do this.
    -Replaced the geometry lens flare with a much, much better one. Flares Wizard in the Blender Market is great!
    -2nd pass at the tunnel. Need to make the "tentacles" move around and add the rain drops and circular ribs onto the tunnel walls. Tentacle material is only OK. Not yet a good match to the original. UVs on Blender curve objects aren't great. Never got a great handle on how Blender does UVs anyway... Maybe I'm just too used to 3DS Max's UVs - they're just more useful.

Going on a camping trip next week, so possibly one more post and then expect some radio silence for a while.
    StarCruiser