Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2D & 3DU.S.S. Decker Bridge

BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
Hey, all...

So, for a while now, I've had this idea in my head to visualize the bridge of the Decker-Class starship (designed by FASA), since the U.S.S. Decker plays a small part in the opening of one of my Star Trek fanfics, "A New Beginning". The U.S.S. Decker is the previous and first starship command of Captain Yuri Nikolayev, who is now leaving to assume command of the new Galaxy-Class U.S.S. Frontier. In my own head canon, and for the purposes of both the story and this project, I'm going with the idea that the Decker-Class was built sometime before season one of TNG, but just after the Cheyenne and Springfield classes were built, probably around the same time as the New Orleans-Class. Going by that, I'm going to experiment with two design approaches. However, the Decker-Class is a long and very slender ship, and I want to reflect that in the look and layout of the bridge. To accomplish this, I'm using the bridge of the Defiant-Class ship as a basis and starting point, going with a bridge that is long, versus wide. The basic floor plan will remain unchanged... only the cosmetic decor elements will change, much like how the Defiant-Class bridge was modded for use as the NX-01 bridge.

The first design approach will be to incorporate many design/decor features from the ST:V 1701-A bridge, including the overall general color palette, along with many features from the season three TNG 1701-D bridge. The second design approach will be to drop the ST:V 1701-A bridge design/decor elements, in favor of entirely TNG 1701-D bridge design/decor elements, with an overall general color palette of the season one TNG 1701-D bridge. Below are some starting-off notes which I jotted down last night.

ST:V 1701-A BRIDGE ELEMENTS VERSION

- Overall bridge wall same as ST:V 1701-A bridge wall... same color, same baseboard lighting, same beige fabric panels under wall stations.
- All side stations forward of the bridge doors are the same style as the ST:V 1701-A bridge wall stations. The "wrist-rest" bars on the stations are wood.
- Main viewscreen is the same as the ST:V 1701-A main viewscreen.
- CONN console & support is the same as the ST:V 1701-A CONN console & support, either kept the same, or curved more to match the shape of the U.S.S. Defiant CONN console.
- The Captain's chair is the season one TNG 1701-D Captain's chair. The U.S.S. Defiant Captain's chair standing side consoles are removed.
- The Captain's chair is surrounded by a ST:V 1701-A bridge style handrail that surrounds the Captain's chair in a "U" shape. Handrail is wood, supports are brushed metal.
- There is a TNG-style standing Tactical console behind the Captain's chair, the same as the kind seen in the TNG 1701-D transporter room.
- Both bridge doors are standard-size TNG 1701-D doors. Port door opens to ready-room, starboard door opens to corridor. Both doors have "Future Imperfect" Okudagraphics.
- Replace U.S.S. Defiant mini-bench/seats by doors with the ST:V 1701-A bridge curved light stumps that join the wall stations to the turbolift walls.
- Aft wall boasts the ship's MSD/cutaway, flanked on each side by TNG 1701-D bridge alert status LCARS columns.
- Replace U.S.S. Defiant bridge station dividers/structural support columns with the station dividers from the ST:V 1701-A bridge.
- Wall between forward side stations and door walls - port side holds yellow ship profiles, starboard side holds ship's commissioning plaque.
- Aft side walls aft of the doors hold TNG alcove console stations (see pic below). On each side of the alcove console stations are custom circuitry access panels.

TNG 1701-D BRIDGE ELEMENTS VERSION

All design elements of this version are the same as the ST:V 1701-A version above, with the following exceptions:

- Remove ST:V 1701-A station dividers for the entire forward and aft SIDES - keep them on the AFT wall.
- Replace ST:V 1701-A bridge wall stations with TNG 1701-D season one bridge aft station style stations inset into the side walls.
- Replace ST:V 1701-A CONN console & support with a modded/custom unit that follows the same style as the TNG-era CONN console.

Decker-Class Starship
cgkbdl83346a.jpg

TNG Alcove Console
g3lbrpnx9ack.jpg

My plan is to sketch out and then draw in Illustrator, my ideas and final plans for the Decker bridge, and hopefully construct a small scale study model our of foam board or balsa wood.

Lizzy777Mustang13Camaro68
Tagged:

• Mustang13Camaro68Mustang13Camaro68328 DetroitPosts: 159Member
    The Decker is one of the few FASA designs I liked because it wasn't too weird.
    I think your ideas about where it fits in TNG chronology also feel right. Would love to tackle the exterior of the Decker, but I've got enough unfinished projects :P
    Eager to see what you come up with.
    BolianAdmiral
    MustangCamaro's Other Projects: TaelonMothership MarsAttacks SeaQuestDSV
  • BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1115 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,567Member
    Thanks. I’ve started the first sketch, and once I have the refined version in Illustrator, I’ll post it. My approach will be to draw out individual sections of the bridge as “dead-on” views, so I can use that as a guide when making the small scale model. I’d LOVE to commission someone to build the Decker in 3D, but so many people seem to hate the TNG FASA designs with a passion, that I highly doubt anyone would even do it for money, lol.
  • StarCruiserStarCruiser364 Posts: 45Member
    Most of the FASA TNG designs were...either mediocre or outright terrible.

Quite the change from the earlier TOS/TMP designs. Most of those were at least decent and some were excellent.
    I love the TNG FASA designs… Decker, Wellington, Moscow, M’Benga, Royal Sovereign… love them all.
    I’ve never gotten used to it with Excelsior nacelles… I actually think the Excelsior nacelles detract from the overall sleekness of the rest of the design, but that’s just my opinion. The Decker and Wellington are my two favorites of the TNG-era FASA designs, but as I said, I love them all. Oddly enough, there doesn’t seem to be any published deck count for the Decker. Personally, I envision her as being roughly Excelsior-sized… maybe a bit longer, but overall roughly equivalent.
    One thing I’ve decided is that the ceiling will remain the same as the Defiant’s ceiling on the bridge. However… what I would like to do on the central/focal ceiling lighting piece, is have it be a red strobing light, just like on Sulu’s Excelsior. Ever since I saw the Excelsior’s red alert strobe in ST:VI, I always thought it looked really cool. So I want to do that on the Decker.
    publiusr
  • jkraniumjkranium2 Posts: 1New Member
    I had someone print a 3d decker it is pretty good. I’d love to get my hands on files for all the TNG fasa ships
    BolianAdmiralpubliusr
    I know there’s a file on one of the 3D file sites of the Wellington-Class. I’d LOVE to have all the TNG-era FASA ships as physical models, preferably in 1/1400 scale. However, that means someone would have to model them in 3D first, and we all know nobody is willing to do that…
    Ah, found the link to the Wellington model… it’s on Shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/RW4355RLP/wellington-class-light-cruiser-8-quot