Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

The Expanse

2»

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The last episode was not as good as the one before.
    But it was still dam enjoyable and Amos has to be my favourite Character along with Chrisjen Avasarala.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Ok I'm fully caught up with the expanse..... I've commented on other threads about being "that guy" that just hates everything..

I'm glad to say that "I'm not that guy" It's been so nice to just sit and watch something and be swept away.. Like season 4 season 5 has completely changed gears and it feels totally organically and honestly done... the crew has dispended and are off doing their own things, the world building has been stellar as usual... its been completely immersive.... My only negative is that I don't like Marcus.... I cant say why.... well I can, I don't think he's charismatic enough or menacing enough... if that makes sense.. he just doesn't work for me, and feels a little out of place.... But other than that its been great... glad to see more of Drummer in this episode, I'm feeling worried for her... Naomi is brilliant at being helpless... you can really feel her frustration.... James feels like he's hit his groove I've stopped getting john snow vibes off him :) it's not trying to hard to make out its something ground breaking... they know they've got a great show, and they are confident in their characters and the story..... I'm enjoying it...
    edited January 2021 #34
    I can see why you don't like Marcus. The actor playing him is good but he is missing something. It defiantly charismatic, when I was reading the book Marcus came across as Hans Gruber mixed with some else in space.

@markmassey have you checked out The Expanse post show they are doing on youtube?
    That is really good, unlike Trek's Ready Room it host by Wes Chatham (Amos Burton) & Ty Franck (co-author of the books and show Producer.) You can see how much they love and enjoy working on the show and working together. It dose not come across as feck like the Ready Room.
    It on Amazon Prime YouTube channel.
    Post edited by Freak on
    sign Alan Rickman....... watching Galaxy quest is like a Tragedy now haha saw that it was on netflix and was like omg we have to watch it..... and then after about 10 minutes i was thinking i cant watch this.. it's too sad haha... One of my favorite films of his is snow cake... its pretty much just Alan Rickman and Sigourney Weaver in a house talking.... and its brilliant...

@Freak i haven't seen those no but i've just looked and im listening to them as i work, thanks for the suggestion.. I've recently found Patrician Tallman's channel that's lead to some incredible interviews with her.. and SidCity Alexander Siddig's channel.... for an aging trek fan these have been great to have on while working...
    Freak
    I have had Sidcity surggested to me a few times on my YouTube Feed along with the Podcast done by Robert Duncan McNeill (Tom Pairs) & Garrett Wang (Ensign Kim). But I have had a chance to listen to them yet.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I got the first three books for Christmas as I love the show and the books are not letting me down
    Freak
    Let us all know when you have the sudden urge to hit someone in their solar plexus :)
    Freak
    meanwhile over at the expanse... able to make episodes that have been predominantly people stood around around talking - engaging, tense, heartbreaking..... all the emotions...
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Spoilers but not really. I like how space is a vacuum and vacuums are insulators but people exposed to space freeze anyway because I guess they radiate their bodyheat super fast, and the moisture on people's eyes and tongue don't boil off, even though Hello, vacuum, zero pressure, but we're going to run with this trope because The Fans Expect It, and there hasn't been an incident on the ISS where someone went outside without a suit to see what would really happen to compare that with scientific speculation.
    you can bet they've thrown some mice out though to see what happens ;)
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    psCargile wrote: »
    Spoilers but not really. I like how space is a vacuum and vacuums are insulators but people exposed to space freeze anyway because I guess they radiate their bodyheat super fast, and the moisture on people's eyes and tongue don't boil off, even though Hello, vacuum, zero pressure, but we're going to run with this trope because The Fans Expect It, and there hasn't been an incident on the ISS where someone went outside without a suit to see what would really happen to compare that with scientific speculation.

That's actually not correct. A vacuum is not an insulator or a conductor, it's a heat sink as well as cold sink depending entirely on exposure to a radiant heat source. Depending on how far out in the solar system you are, the side of your body in sunlight can heat up and literally burn away in an instant while the side of your body in darkness freezes solid in moments creating a half frozen half burned hunk of meat.

For example, lunar soil in sunlight is about 253 degrees C. Step onto a patch of soil in the center of night side and it drops to about -243 C. The moon is a perfect model you can use to understand how temperature work in a vacuum. Soil in shadow behind a rock that is in sunlight will still be fairly warm as the soil itself is a heat conductor.

The scene with Naomi pushing out the airlock took place out beyond the asteroid belt. Too far out to get any useful heat from the sun. The actual unreal thing about that scene is that she would have died instantly and long before she shot herself full of a fictional oxygenated anti-freeze. She actually would have needed to have done that prior to opening the airlock door.

Vacuum in darkness is steady just about at absolute zero. Heat is radiation and it disperses in a vacuum rapidly without a constant source.
    FreakpsCargile
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    Farewell to season 5 and WOW what a finale!

Season 5 was by far the best yet from The Expanse and IMHO it was the single best season of televised science fiction of all time. I don't believe we're only getting one more but at least we're getting that!
    I was a little worried three and half episode dealing with Naomi escapes. There was barley anything with Holden, Alex and Bobbie in the second half of the season. In the book it only a chapter long, so it was bit of joke that they dragged it out.

However the final got everything on track. I was not happy how they wrote Alex out of the story. It a trope that has been done to death when an actor leaves a show. I understand why Cas Anvar had to leave, but they could have left it open for his return when they bring the show back for season 7. (I hope it not a 30 year gap like it is in the books.) With what he was accused still be hanging round his neck in five or ten years time. I don't think so.

On the dragging out Naomi escape, I think that was done for one reason.
    Cas Anavar is in a lot of the first half of the season. I think it was around this time that word came down that he had to leave.
    As they had planned a lot with him for the second half of the season they had to change their plan without effecting what they had planned for season 6.
    This meant they could drag out on of two storyline. Amos or Naomi. They went with Naomi storyline as it has more emotional effect.

But over all I think it was a good ending for the season.

@sorceress21, Daniel Abraham, Ty Franck and Naren Shankar have stated that even though The Expanse has not been renewed for a 7th season it not the last we have seen of the show. They have also stated that the show has not been cancelled.

I know what your thinking if the show not been renewed for a 7th season how has it no been cancelled. Think about it, the next book is set 30 years in the future of current events. It would cost to much to have all the actors in prosthetics all the time for a full season. So their is going to be break for a while. (I hope it won't be 30 years.) then they will come back to do the final trilogy of Books.
    I'm not sure I buy the whole they are taking a break for the actors to age a bit... you could quite easily do what they did in season 3 and jump a few years into the future.. you don't need to go with the books and have such a huge jump, or say its been 10 years and give everyone a bit of grey hair, no need for prosthetics.. Plus what if your actors die.... I'm not in charge of programing at amazon prime but if you don't renew a show I assume you've cancelled it?? I'm pretty sure that the creators haven't said to Amazon no we don't want another season we need a 15 year gap to allow for the passage of time... i'd be more than happy if they pulled a picard tho..... let me take a breath to realise what vie just said...

I've really enjoyed this season again.. It's been a good slow burn, I've said a few times that I like how things have been allowed to breathe.. Naomi's storyline has been good.. I thought having her not speaking for 3 episodes while she was on her own was great.. I know that people have said they dragged that out way too long... i get where they are coming from but I didn't feel that, I thought the tension built up really nicely from the moment she stepped on marcos ship to her jumping out of the Chetzemoka... and I loved that we stayed close on her as she was on the float so you didn't see bobby coming up behind her you just heard the muffles.. it was really well done in my opinion and rewarding... I've not mentioned Amos's awesome story line, or Alex and Bobby's fantastic double team..

But all that praise about how the plot slowly bubbled along to build the tension kind of fell away in the last few minutes of the show when they crammed in a couple of hours of story and set up for next season into 5 minutes... and if felt like having the rug puled from under you.... oh well no show can be perfect I guess...

Obviously they had to re shape things with what happened with Cas Anvar.. i was wondering how they were going to solve that problem.... And having him die like that sucked but I think it might have been the best way out for them... I personally don't think a re cast was the way to go.. when they killed fred it really annoyed me.. and then seeing this made me think that if they hadn't change fred's death that it would have been a nice foreshadowing for Alex.. They kind of swept him under the rug after that... whichkind of flet they just didn't want to spend any time discussing Cas Anvar's character...

All in all i thought the season was probably the best of the show so far...
    edited February 2021 #46
    @markmassey I take it you have not read the books.

Each season or part have been based on each book. They have moved stuff forward and change things around from the books. There have even been a few characters in the books that have been merged together for a new character for the show.
    Or they have added storylines of other characters to another character for the show. Drummer is a perfect example of this. In the Books she does not appear until this season storyline in book 5, yet in the show she been there since season 2.
    The storylines of the books are split into trilogies. Book 1 to 3 deals with proto-molecule, Books 4 to 6 deals with the opening of the gates and the war with the Free Navy. The final trilogy (Books 7 to 9 *Book 9 will be realised in November of this year.*) has the biggest time jump of 30 years.

There is a reason the final trilogy has to have such a big time jump. Everything has to settle down after the War with the Free Navy, Earth and Mars has to recovery from it loses during the war and the attacks on Earth. But most importantly The Martians that split form Mars and to set up camp on Laconian and build the Laconian Empire. That is something that can't be done in a few years. It take centuries to build an empire, not just in ships but manpower. They need to grow their population. The Proto-Molecule has speed up building the infrastructure to a few decades, but building up population still depends on Human biology.

Your right that they can't wait 30 years to film the final trilogy. But a ten year gap would be fine for the actors to age enough to look different enough. (After all we don't really know what long term effects living in space will have on humans. Will we carry on aging like we do on Earth or is it slowed down with the lack of gravity and not being exposed directly to the sun.)

As for Amazon, they don't need to greenlight another season. The Expanse is not going off to another streamer or studio. When Amazon saved The Expanse, they bought the rights to it. Amazon has let the show runner carry on with what they wanted to do from the start. So if they have said we need a brake for the actor to age. Then Amazon is happy for it as they knew this was going to happen, when sitting down with them.
    As for the actors they all love the show, so don't be surprise if they are happy to return, when the show returns. This is one of reason I don't like the fact they killed off Alex. They could have had him badly injured / in a coma so that he does not appear in season 6. Yet when the show has returned and everything with him has blown over he could have returned.
    (Weather he did what he is accused off or not, everyone deserves a second change.)

The other option for Amazon to do the final trilogy now would be to do an animation with the cast voicing it. But would you be happy with that. I would not.

If you have not read the book do it, it is well worth it.
    Post edited by Freak on
    I know they need to allow for the passage of time for laconia to be established... I was just saying there isn't any real reason not to carry on the series in "my opinion" and bare in mind I'm an idiot haha... I don't see why they couldn't play older versions of themselves, just a bit of grey, age them up a little with make up.. you wouldn't need to go the whole hog and do fat suits and prosthetics... its make believe after all :) I'm pretty sure they could sell it..

It just feels to me like the expanse is done... All the talk about it living on in some form, or that its taking a break feels a little bit like when you hear STD has been cancelled.... its just wishful thinking lol..

But I'm more than happy to be proven wrong :)

And yes I've read the books, I'm eagerly awaiting the final one.. I've recently got the audio books because somehow, in a pandemic here everyone else is finding the time to write novels or become master painters I cant even find time to read!!!!!! they've been well done so far I'm half way through Caliban's war..