Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

The Expanse

FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
edited October 2020 in General Discussion #1
The-Expanse-on-Syfy.jpg

I just finished watching the fourth season of this great show and I loved every minute of it.
The only complaint I have with it, is that Amazon dropped it all in one go.

Binging is great and all, but a show like this that cost so much to make, should not be dropped in one go.
Reason I say this is that, the show was dropped a week ago and no one is talking about it. There are a could of channel on YouTube I watch that would normal put out about two to three show a week talking out and reviewing each episode.
But with the binging model, they can't do it as everyone is binging it. So by the time they have made their video, no one is talking about it.
Amazon should have realised this show weekly like Disney does with The Mandalorian, people would still be talking about it.

Enough with about that.

Anyway, if you have not seen The Expanse I recommend you do, it is one if not the Best Sci-fi shows on at the moments.
It is set a few hundred years from now. Mankind has started to colonise the Sol System but does not yet have Faster than light travels so are still stuck in our star System.

There are three different factions all looking after their own interests.
The UN, which is Earth and Lunar.
Martians: Mars who has gained independence from Earth. They are terraforming the planet so that they can leave the dooms behind and have Mars Earth like. But this will take over a hundred years to complete. As Mars has some of the best scientist known to mankind, it is also the most advanced in space travel and Military might.
Finally you have the Belter: These are Humans that live and work on asteroids and the moons of Jupiter. Almost all of them have never lived on the core worlds (Earth and Mars). They mine ice and minerals from the asteroids and moons to be sent back to the core planet. They are not citizens of Earth or Mars, but works for big corporations from those worlds and want their own independence.

The first season follows James Holden (Steven Strait) who is the executive officer of an ice hauler The Canterbury. Along with a few crewmates, Holden board a ship requesting help, while abound this they witness The Canterbury being destroyed. This throws them into a mystery that they must solve.
At the same time a Ceres police detective Josephus Miller (Thomas Jane) is sent to find a missing young woman, Julie Mao (Florence Faivre).
Unknown to Miller his case will lead him to the same mystery Holden is trying to solve.

The science for the show is spot on when it comes to Space. The ships do not have gravity plating like you see in Trek or Wars, so it all in Zero G.
There is limited gravity but this is caused by the accelerations and decelerations of the ships. To get around the ship easier, the crew where Magnetic boots.

The show is base on books by James S. A. Corey, with each season being based on one book, though they have mixed things from the following books. So season 1 is a mix of Books 1 (Leviathan Wakes) and Book 2 (Caliban's War).
I have not yet read the books but will be soon as I got the first six book recently.

With that said, if you have not seen The Expanse go and see it now, you will not regret it.
Me Personally, can't wait until season five which is currently in production.
Post edited by Freak on
Tagged:

• kadenkaden799 JapanPosts: 219Member
    One of my favourite shows and universes at the moment. I have read all the books so far and it is great. It is set up to be 3 trilogies, so Book 4 is the start of the second one. The last trilogy takes a bit of a departure from the usual stuff but it is still great. I am looking forward to see how they will handle the last parts if they get there in the show.

I also can recommend the show, stick with it if you are watching it from the start. It does start slow but you will be drawn in.

• FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    yeah the first season is a little slow, but they are building a Universe so it make sense.
    But once the story really starts moving it great.

I am currently half way though the first book and loving it.
    It interesting to see what they changed for the show. I understand the Earth Storyline was lifted from Book Two and put into the first season.
    (Yeah I know adaptation of books always changed when put to screen.) But it also surprising that these changes are not really major. Just small things.
    Some of the characters are merged together and then new ones are created in the show, but that's ok because the shows characters are pretty great.
    Yeah mostly Avasarala, she was introduced in book 2. Even season 4 has some things from book 5 and Gods of Risk. Book 4 was pretty much all on the planet.

It is cool getting all the background stuff from the books too.
    I finished the first book and love every moment of it.

I am currently over half way though the Second Book. A lot more changes here for the TV show.
    But I understand why they made those changes.

If you have not read the books I suggest that you do!
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    edited February 2020 #6
    It is really a fantastic show, by far the best TV Scifi out there right now..My only complaint is Season 4 was like one long single episode. There wasn't a lot of movement and multiple other central plot associated tangents going on like the first 3 seasons. That being said its a minor complaint. The production design and cinematography is beautiful and the acting very well done. It's been renewed for at least two more seasons..Hope it's not two years till Season 5.
    Post edited by sorceress21 on
    I just started Reading Book 4, So I will see why season 4 is not as fast pace and have multiple plots points like the other seasons.

While I love season 3, After reading book 3 (Second half of the season cover this book.) I can see why they did the changes they made for the show.
    Still a dam good read though.
    edited October 2020 #8
    For fans of the Expanse here is the trailer to season 5.
    The Show is set to premier on the 16 of December.

Rumour has it that Amazon will not be dropping all episode in one go like they did with season 4, But releasing them weekly.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Yup 3 eps first up then one per week like the boys.
    Looking forward to it, book5 was a good one and sounds like season 5 will be too.
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    Hurray something to look forward to..... long but juicy trailer :) It's going to be a jam packed season, i'm glad they left out "some" set pieces in the trailer.... cant wait to see more amos this season.. Time to re watch the season 1-4 i think...
    @kaden, yeah book 5 was good. I am now currently reading book 7.
    It will be interesting to see how they do the 30 years jump in the TV show if they get to.

@markmassey. any excuse to go back and rewatch season 1 to 4 again. ;)
    give jim some gray hair stick him in a fat suit.... sorted :)
    @Freak Yeah, I'm thinking they might just continue with only a small time skip. Save on the makeup lol
    Looks like S5 will have a bit more movement then S4 did. I thought S4 was slightly disappointing. Don't get me wrong, it was still quite good but I felt the trailer hyped it up. The story got stuck on that planet and got a little boring.
    Yeah Season 4 was a bit of a slow burner, but then so was the book.
    If Season 5 is going to be anything like the book it should be like the first two seasons.
    Really looking forward to Amos story on Earth. That was really interesting in the book and you learnt a lot about his history before leaving Earth.
    i loved the slower pace of season 4.. was it season 3 that took a handbrake turn mid season?? that was quite jarring.. i wondered if the planet bound story would let it down in some way but i think its been one of my favorite seasons.. always good to see miller as a bonus.. and it felt like the characters got to breathe a little more, it was a much simpler web of stories to thread together.. i hope we get some good long scenes with amos this season.. this is kind of his time to shine.. he steals the scenes most of the time so i'm looking forward to see how he does carrying a big chunk of the story... and i'm sure we'll get some good character development... along side the running for their lives haha i still find myself morning miller tho... i wish he was still alive..
    Yeah I liked Miller, shame we won't get to see more of Thomas Jane.
    edited November 2020 #18
    Well we all knew it comes coming but Amazon has now official renewed The Expanse for a 6th season.
    All the cast are returning with the except of Cas Anvar who plays Alex Kamal, this is due to sexual harassment allegations against him.
    Not sure how the showrunner are going to handle this, as Cas Anavar character is a major part of the show and the books. So it unlikely they will write him out and most likely re-cast the character, which personal I think does not always work. But these allegations could be all sorted out before they start shooting the 6th season, and he could come back. so let hope that happens.

For those of us waiting for the final book to come out, it has now got a realise date of November 2021. Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck the writers behind the pen name James S. A. Corey have stated they won’t be doing any new Expanse Novel soon, as they are planning a new fantasy- Scifi series as their next project. But did state they will be combining all their Expanse short stories into a single book and it won’t be the last we have seen on The Expanse universe.
    As for now, I can’t wait for December 16 so I can start to enjoy season 5 with my follow Beltalowda!

Post edited by Freak on
    Well that sucks... Alex is kind of the mother hen of the ship..... I'm sure they can re cast him if all the allegations are true and he's convicted.. i mean I've only just heard about this and after a quick search it doesn't look great..

they re cast Arjun and every time he was on screen I was like wwhhaaaatttt??? so i'm not looking forward getting used to a new actor playing one of the main characters.. :/ i'm sure i'd get over it though... maybe Alex could have a stroke or something in a high g burn or something............ yea.. that might be better.. hahaha

Awesome... november... well hang on its nearly the end of...... 2021.... aawwwww haha.. Can't wait for the next book... Also great that we know a season 6 is coming too... because we all know what's coming in season 6-7 here comes the juice...
    edited November 2020 #20
    I was the same with Arjun, but with him it was not such a big deal as he was such a minor character. Yeah it going to be harder with someone else playing Alex.
    Post edited by Freak on
    Ok i take that back... lol season 6 is going to be the final season... oh well it was good while it lasted at least... hopefully it'll go out strong...
    Well they really managed to re-capture all the magic that made this such a damn good show that was lost in Season 4. The first 3 eps of S5 were really good. It's pulled me way back in!
    edited December 2020 #23
    The scene of the ship landing on Luna, so good.

And the camera from helicopter to crane to person shot showing Baltorontomore was so nice
    Post edited by kaden on
    Those three episode where excellent. This was so freaking good.
    Amos is such a great character and we really get to see his backstory. Though I will admit, with him going "home" was in the book was a little more action packed than what we saw in the show. But it still good.

The people over at Secret Hideout should take note. A better story that pulls you right in and done on a fraction of the cost, of Current Trek Live action shows.

As for the news that the show has been cancelled after season 6, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck (the Writers of the books and producers on the show). Have come out and said that not true. The show has not been cancelled it is just taking a break. which make sense given that there is a 30 year jump between book 6 and 7. I just hope we don't have to wait 30 years for the final three seasons.
    edited December 2020 #25
    Truth be told I'm a little blown away that Holly-leftist-democrap-wood actually managed to pull off a sci fi win. This show is damn good!
    edited December 2020 #26
    duplicate post - please delete
    Dupe- Mods please delete
    I'll admit I've had a few glasses of wine... but I have no idea what you're saying :/
    Oh no wait I got it... haha man that was like enigma for a second there hahaha
    My God that was such a great episode.
    It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    This show just keep get better and better.
    Freak wrote: »
    My God that was such a great episode.
    It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
    This show just keep get better and better.

Me too!
    Freak