Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DAkira Class

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    This is looking really fantastic.
    lewisniven
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1665 CaliforniaPosts: 1,941Member
    edited June 2019 #93
    Right with you EG_180!

Lewisniven: On the Escape pods. Yeah looking closely at the Enterprise D they are just colored paper stuck on the model. Flush indeed.

Post edited by Brandenberg on
    lewisniven
    Lewisniven: On the Escape pods. Yeah looking closely at the Enterprise D they are just colored paper stuck on the model. Flush indeed.

Yeah, they were that way on all the TNG models. You can even see them coming up on pics of some ships, like the Ambassador class.
    lewisniven
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2492 UKPosts: 463Member

Yeah, they were that way on all the TNG models. You can even see them coming up on pics of some ships, like the Ambassador class.

Yeah it was only the decal that gave any relief on the surface, the Ent-E ones are the same, completely flush, the Voyager ones sit quite proud though, far more humped. I wanted mine to look a bit more like 'pods' inset to the hull so gave a small ridge, just makes them hold up a bit better at close range to my eye;

p4izgw6yhmd6.png
    y023lt4fwm6j.png

ashleytingerLizzy777McCFreakevil_genius_180Brandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    The Escape pods look good.
    Just need to add a little details to them.

This is what I did to mine.
    saucer-escape-pods-close-up.png

You could do what was on the Ent-E
    starfleet_escape_pods_tech_readout__new__by_unusualsuspex-d8d7lox.jpg

Or you could do your own thing.

lewisniven
    I think I'll go with sovereign design as above but I'll do that detail in texture I think. Need to have a play and see what works best.
    Looks great.

I like doing pods as more than flat things too.
    Looks great.

I like doing pods as more than flat things too.

Yeah there could well be room for some detail geometry, I'll do a texture for them first and then see how they look.
    ashleytinger
    Nice Pods. :) One thing that bothers me about the ship I am doing right now, is that John didn't put escape pods on it. I suppose one could imagine they were all on the underside.
    Nice Pods. :) One thing that bothers me about the ship I am doing right now, is that John didn't put escape pods on it. I suppose one could imagine they were all on the underside.

Well you're working for a rough concept sketch, if it were me I'd just try and work them in, there must be space for them somewhere. Depends how rigidly you're trying to adhere to the drawing I guess.
    I sometimes go back and forth on whether I should take liberties or not, but you are right. It's a sketch, not a model that appeared in a series. It did occur to me that that dark indented band around the top of the saucer with the greebles in it would be better utilized for a band of escape pods.
    edited July 2019 #103
    Well you've got to invent the entire underside so however you slice it at least 50% of the ship is your design, so it's not like you're breaking from canon.
    Post edited by lewisniven on
    Exactly
    edited July 2019 #105
    @McC clued me in on how to do instanced escape pods whilst maintaing the position and orientation of my existing ones which opens the door for more detail, so here's an early attempt at that, I'll refine it a bit more though.

j1d608o4d8bx.png

evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreakLizzy777McCRekkertBrandenberg
    Those are looking really nice. :)
    lewisniven
    edited July 2019 #107
    Yeah they are!
    Your render has almost a clean comic book look to it.
    edited July 2019 #108
    Yeah they are!
    Your render has almost a clean comic book look to it.

I know V-Ray has a 'toon' renderer in it, would be interesting to see it with that look.

The RCS thrusters we're in desperate need of re-doing, the previous ones were very quick and lazy, so old next to new:

hsg1wbz5hzjp.png
    6lghowyw4gxc.png

[Edit]

Small update, sensor palette detailing added;
    x52c553gmwal.png
    q578wuj1ynpl.png

ashleytingerFreakevil_genius_180Lizzy777BrandenbergMcCscifieric
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    New ones look much better.
    lewisniven
    Loving it. B)
    lewisniven
    The thrusters and sensors look great. I've never liked the "blocky" RCS thrusters on this ship, but you took that shape, customized it and turned it into something that looks phenomenal.
    lewisniven
  • psCargilepsCargile417 Posts: 620Member
    Another way to make panels is to add a plane, delete three verts, with face snap on move the vert where you want and start extruding verts into your panel shape, make a face from the loop, use solidify and bevel modifiers. It creates panels that are easily adjustable, such as repositioning or adding verts and edges to get the contour right for proper shading. You can turn on the underlying mesh's wireframe for a visual guide for vertex placement, and use a plain axis empty for a radial guide.

I got the idea from cgi masters' hard surface modeling course, and used it on a Star Wars ship I was working on after viewing the course. It's a great way to make non-permanent panels you tweak until you are ready to make them permanent, while avoiding some of issues of shrinkwrap.
    lewisniven
    psCargile wrote: »
    Another way to make panels is to add a plane, delete three verts, with face snap on move the vert where you want and start extruding verts into your panel shape, make a face from the loop, use solidify and bevel modifiers. It creates panels that are easily adjustable, such as repositioning or adding verts and edges to get the contour right for proper shading. You can turn on the underlying mesh's wireframe for a visual guide for vertex placement, and use a plain axis empty for a radial guide.

I got the idea from cgi masters' hard surface modeling course, and used it on a Star Wars ship I was working on after viewing the course. It's a great way to make non-permanent panels you tweak until you are ready to make them permanent, while avoiding some of issues of shrinkwrap.

I'll look in to that, seems like it'll be a good way of hendling panels!

More detailing today, mainly the underside of the torpedo pod, and some tweaks to the escape pods.

0an20gcsflh6.png
    30h4rd7n4ycn.png

ashleytingerChlorelevil_genius_180BrandenbergFreakLizzy777McC
  • Bmused55Bmused55177 Posts: 487Member
    Immense work. Simple immense.

lewisniven
    Wow, the embossed detail on the egg of the saucer. You're a crazy man. Looks fabulous.
    lewisniven
    Bmused55 wrote: »
    Immense work. Simple immense.

Thanks man, glad to see you're still around!

More detail, mainly impulse engines, some bits around escape pods and some touch ups around the weapons pod. I seem to be just flitting around the ship doing little bits now.

phxdoy29dzvh.png
    sjkd1soy0aq1.png

Lizzy777ashleytingerevil_genius_180McCBrandenberg
    Dang, dude. That looks really awesome. You're doing the old girl major justice. :)
    edited July 2019 #118
    I'd buy one. :)
    More detail in, windows on the insides of the catamarans, some vents on the impulse engines, various other bits;

pc3z51fwnh4n.png
    azc072h8py4i.png
    39tmdb071v6a.png
    ashleytingerevil_genius_180BrandenbergLizzy777
    Looking great. :)

Speaking of looking, those windows on the inside of the catamarans must have a wonderful view. :p
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    That looks wonderful!