Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

[C4D] Problem with Starfield Shader / Flickering

[Deleted User][Deleted User]11 Posts: 4,002Member
Hi Guys :),
I'm having trouble with Cinema's starfield shader. I'm using a material with the starfield shader in color and luninance channel. The material is applied on a sky sphere as background starfield. When I move my camera in space the starfield begins to flicker extremly and stars change their location. Does anybody know why that happens or better how to solve that problem? It drives me crazy!:(
Any help or ideas are much appreciated! :help:
Post edited by Unknown User on

• Countdown5Countdown5363 Posts: 72Member
    They flicker in render view or editor?
  • Andrew BoultonAndrew Boulton0 Posts: 0Member
    Make sure the Antialiasing Filter is set to Animation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    Its in the render. :) I'll try the anti alias and post you the result as a quicktime movie brb^^

ok added the sample. Still flickering even after I changed Anti Alias Mode.

http://www.alex.f2media.de/files/vfx/test2.mov
    Try giving the sky object motion blur, that should solve it ;)
  • Countdown5Countdown5363 Posts: 72Member
    Pyrocitor wrote: »
    Try giving the sky object motion blur, that should solve it ;)

Yea...That or try adjusting the sampling setting on the texture.
    I can't set any texture sampling because it is the built in starfield shader. I already tried vector motion blur and haven't had much luck. I also tried some higher resolutions for rendering. The "flicker" effect seems to be related to the resolution somehow.

here are two more tests. still flickering but better. both have vector motion blur applied. I'll add one with object motion blur as soon as the render is finished.

http://www.alex.f2media.de/files/vfx/test3.mov
    http://www.alex.f2media.de/files/vfx/test4.mov

Thanks for your suggestions they've already me helped alot!
    When I did a test render earlier today it looked ok, but it was the middle of the day, so it was a bit hard to see the screen clearly :p

Tonight I rendered out two frames one after the other in 1080p resolution with motion blur, and the stars actually change. Giving a "flicker" effect.
    You'll have to make your own starfield if you want to animate with it, or contact Maxon about it.
    The help menu doesn't say much about it, other than that you might want to project it cubic, instead of spherically, so there's no stretching at the poles. Nothing about animation with it :(
    I think I might have a theory why it does not work. Generally I think that the Starfield shader creates stars of different sizes. But some of those stars are smaller than a pixel. This creates problems when moving the cam because the star is not fixed in his location but jumps randomly in his near location (Pixel). The render just cannot dissolve the subpixel stars and their location. Just a theory for now but it might explain why it gets better when using high resolutions for rendering. Any other ideas? I attached the .c4d so if anybody might have an idea its more than welcome.

As far as I am concerned I'll have to do a starfield of my own if not any other solution arises. Any suggestions how to make it match spherical projection? What resolution should it be? Any input is welcome! Thanks again guys for your input.
    I just worked out how you can do this, apply the starfield shader to a sphere (cubic mapping (make sure you enlarge the texture axis)) and then bake it, once it's finished baking, apply it to the sky object (cubic mapping). Simple as that :)

Hopefully it'll work as easily for you as it did for me ;)
  • Andrew BoultonAndrew Boulton0 Posts: 0Member
    Clever!