Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

Lost SFM tutorials - found! And uploaded here!

JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
Hello all,

I've found my copies of some of the older SFM tuts. These date back not only before the Great Crash of 2006, but before Ace's last major redesign of the tutorials section. These are by no means all of the tutorials that used to be hosted by SFM. They are just the ones that I found interesting and saved on my handy little flash drive. I will be posting them in this thread.

The files I have are as follows:

Ablative Armor (previously posted on the resurrected site, but not in PDF): credited to "thecreature" in the PDF

Realistic Textures - Blend Material Tutorial: by "Don't Shoot"

Texturing 201: by Wayne Peters

Creating Planets: by Jurrian Mous "Arquelis"

Adding Details with Lightwave - by "infinityloop" with help from "Jorx"

Creating 'The Last Hope': by Tobias Richter

Pod Tutorial - Texturing: by "Cooper" (for SciFi-Art, but was hosted on SFM).

NOTE: Creating 'The Last Hope' is a 6mb PDF, even zipped, and is too large to attach. Once we get hosting set up again, I'll upload it.
Post edited by Jedilaw on

• JedilawJedilaw0 Posts: 0Member
    Here's the last tut from that list (the Pod tutorial). I hit the 5-item limit above.

NOTE: if anyone else happens to have saved any of the older SFM tuts to the old hard drive, please post them here.

Hope y'all enjoy!
  • HobbesHobbes5 Posts: 0Member
    I saved a few of the complete ones (my favourites) as well (as offline web-pages)....I will search and upload them as well!

ie, Pete Drapers awesome canyon tutorial
    Is that one still on his Xenomorphic site, or was SFM the only host?
  • General_ZodGeneral_Zod0 Posts: 0Member
    I can't upload any of mine. There too big.
    Here is mine. Sorry if I didn't give any one credit but after the site was nuked there is no way for me to look it up.

3D STUDIO MAX KEY LIST

EARTH TUTORIAL

How to create warp gate in max

Stargate event horizon

Aceman modeling tutorial

warp effects
    Here is mine. Sorry if I didn't give any one credit but after the site was nuked there is no way for me to look it up.

3D STUDIO MAX KEY LIST

EARTH TUTORIAL

How to create warp gate in max

Stargate event horizon

Aceman modeling tutorial

warp effects

The tutorial itself should indicate authorship. All of the ones I just posted do.
    Well I just checked there were only about two didn't have the author.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]2 Posts: 3Member
    thanks for the tuts! can you post a picture from each one so we know what we are downloading.
  • D.M.J.D.M.J.0 Posts: 0Member
    There was an excellent one on Lighting which I referred to regularly, by Blumenkohl (sp?) I think. Anyone have that one saved? It was good stuff that the world needs to know.
    yeah ... we need the "blumenkohl's lighting in space tutorial"
  • farcryfarcry0 Posts: 0Member
    Damn, no one seems to have the two engine exhaust tutorials. They where not on the SFM tutorial directory (where you see all the tutorials in the list on the server), they disapeared before that when the Tutorial system of the forum changed :(

It was two different tutorials (although i dont think the first part was intended to have a second). The first part was about making a thruster effect using volume lights (i think) that looked alot like the thrusters from the new Jedo Starfighters in Ep3. The second tutorial was about making a heat blur effect.
  • ClayClay0 Posts: 17Member
    D.M.J. wrote:
    There was an excellent one on Lighting which I referred to regularly, by Blumenkohl (sp?) I think. Anyone have that one saved? It was good stuff that the world needs to know.

Have you actually tried asking him for it? Or has he not returned yet?
    To my knowledge, the newer tuts were never available as downloadable files, they were just HTML web pages. That's why I don't have any of the newer ones.
    i tried to ask blumenkohl .. but he doesn't want to recieve messages from us "normal users " ....
    farcry wrote:
    Damn, no one seems to have the two engine exhaust tutorials. They where not on the SFM tutorial directory (where you see all the tutorials in the list on the server), they disapeared before that when the Tutorial system of the forum changed :(

It was two different tutorials (although i dont think the first part was intended to have a second). The first part was about making a thruster effect using volume lights (i think) that looked alot like the thrusters from the new Jedo Starfighters in Ep3. The second tutorial was about making a heat blur effect.
    You mean like this. Just use a sphere atmospheric apparatus. Then go to environment and chooses a volume like fire or fog and change the color to you liking.
    Model by "Captain Nguyen"
    You'll be happy to know I contacted Deks regarding his truly excellent tutorial on making planets in Max. He had a copy on his hard drive, and was kind enough to upload it to the Sensei's forum. I've attached the ZIP file to this post.

Really great stuff in this tut, folks!
  • LonewriterLonewriter236 Posts: 1,078Member
    thanks for posting these, they are going to help me alot.
    Hmmm I thought I post his tutorial.
    Hmmm I thought I post his tutorial.
    You did indeed! :cool: When you posted that RAR pack, I was at work and didn't have the app to open it. So I didn't realize that was Deks' tutorial you included (there have been a few "how to make the Earth" tuts).

Oh well, no harm in both of us having posted it.
    the Deks tutorial that was listed on the old SFM site contained the link for the Blue Marble textures....

I've been searching for that particular page for a while and can't seem to find it. Can someone lead me in that direction?
    malach wrote:
    the Deks tutorial that was listed on the old SFM site contained the link for the Blue Marble textures....

I've been searching for that particular page for a while and can't seem to find it. Can someone lead me in that direction?

Here you go.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_detail.php?id=2433
    You mean like this. Just use a sphere atmospheric apparatus. Then go to environment and chooses a volume like fire or fog and change the color to you liking.
    Model by "Captain Nguyen"

Thanks, but i was more after the second part on making the heat blur :)
    farcry wrote:

then you may want to go on http://www.military-meshes.com/?
  • RolibaRoliba331 Posts: 0Member
    farcry wrote:
    I think he means this. I think in order to do this you need to use a raytrace material then set transparency to white then use a smoke bump map.
  • BPhelmetBPhelmet0 Posts: 0Member
    I think he means this. I think in order to do this you need to use a raytrace material then set transparency to white then use a smoke bump map.

yeah, i actually used a raytrace map for the refraction, and then applyed a noise to bump, it's that simple :D (i made that tut btw)
    farcry wrote:

actually, i was doing a ship of my own, and i started doing the enigne exhaust, and created some really interesting effects, so i decited to make it into tuts, and both parts are together, both tuts are by me, i'll see if i can find it for you

15 minuts later---
    can't find it anymore, so i'll remake the tuts if you want
    BPhelmet wrote:
    actually, i was doing a ship of my own, and i started doing the enigne exhaust, and created some really interesting effects, so i decited to make it into tuts, and both parts are together, both tuts are by me, i'll see if i can find it for you

15 minuts later---
    can't find it anymore, so i'll remake the tuts if you want

That would be great. A lot of SFMers would benefit from having those tuts recreated.

-JL
    Yea, that would be awsome :D
    oki dok, shoud be done in a few days