Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DChris Kuhn's Deep Space Nine

ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
Bringing Chris Kuhn's fantastic Blender-model (https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/82625) into Lightwave.
This is slow-going, as this mesh is unfortunately full of tiny holes that need to be closed. And there are n-gons joined to polygons that don't share all the necessary points on the sides they connect; this need some sorting out.

Nevertheless this model already looks beautiful straight out of Blender and brought into Lightwave.
112249.jpg
Tagged:

• trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,415Member
    ST-One
    Are there any textures for the station?
    I loaded the station into c4d.
    Fine part ..... :)
  • ST-OneST-One188 Posts: 293Member
    No, there are no textures for this mesh.

Getting along with the clean-up... there is a hole like this below on every panel-line-intersection... Damn!
    112250.PNG
  • trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,415Member
    Oh,
    i have no problems with the mesh.
    Can Lightwave read a .FBX file ? i can send you in .FBX
    it's not a Lightwave-thing. These holes and non-connecting polygons/n-gons are present in the original .blend-mesh too.

You can even see them in Kuhn's heavily photoshoped preview image over at Blendswap.

I have closed all those pinprick holes in the core; now I'm taking the large crossover bridge apart.
    112251.jpg112252.jpg
    I think I've managed to find and close all gaps and holes in the crossover bridge.
    112253.jpg
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Fun isn't it.

He tends to leave 'holes' in things.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    I wonder if it is the nature of Blender? I have seen exports of other objects from Blender like this. Panel extrusions or stenciling on stuff with holes on the ends or randomly detached faces that make no sense to be detached. Then again it could be on purpose to thwart printing of the mesh.

Either case a load of tedious busy work to do to cap and weld all of that back up. >_<
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • RekkertRekkert4260 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    Definitely not a Blender thing, for Stage9 I export things to be used in Max and Maya regularly, while also working on stuff created on those programs, and this never happened.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    MadKoiFish wrote: »
    I wonder if it is the nature of Blender? I have seen exports of other objects from Blender like this. Panel extrusions or stenciling on stuff with holes on the ends or randomly detached faces that make no sense to be detached. Then again it could be on purpose to thwart printing of the mesh.

Either case a load of tedious busy work to do to cap and weld all of that back up. >_<

I think it's just Chris's way of doing things. I found a bunch of nasty holes with his BoP that took some fixing to get things looking and flowing reasonably well. The worst part is having to fix the UV mapping as LW is notorious for alowing UV map co-ords to get screwed up once you start fiddling.

Nice result though.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/odvs18sf119z338/DS9%20LW%20001.rar?dl=0

If anyone wants the LW port of Alex Klemm's one.
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9920 Posts: 5,337Member
    Oh nasty, max does not seem to do that unless your moving verts or edges about capping cutting and welding often does not affect uvw much.
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    mattc wrote: »
    Fun isn't it.

He tends to leave 'holes' in things.

Yes... "fun"...

mattc wrote: »
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/odvs18sf119z338/DS9%20LW%20001.rar?dl=0

If anyone wants the LW port of Alex Klemm's one.

Thanks for that.
    As it is very easy and cheap to criticize the work of others...

In the books DS9 is now gone and has been replaced with another station (which is hideous, IMO).

So, this would be my replacement for the trusted Nor-type station: very much in line with the original Cardassian design, but with adaptations by Starfleet; the docking ring has now an outer diameter of 2000 meters, so the station has been beefed up. But the look is basically the same.

This is the main body of the new docking ring (a 60 degree element which will be mirrored and arrayed to form a complete ring) with the crossover bridge attached (this is level with the docking ring and not at an incline angle):
    112263.jpg