Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek Interiors

• BolianAdmiralBolianAdmiral1174 Torrance, CaliforniaPosts: 2,618Member
    I love the colors... very DS9, lol. The only thing I would suggest (though maybe you're already planning on doing this later), would be to add a subtle texture to the ceiling lights, similar to what you did for the Zodiac's ceiling lights, just to break up all that solid white just a bit. But, as I've been saying, as far as I'm concerned, this is perfect so far!
  • RekkertRekkert4258 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,326Member
    @Starscream: The butresses were seen during the episode, and I've actually kept working on them and added some more details to them now. :)

@JMP11: Haha, thank you! Yeah, the carpet... I'm trying to figure out if the brown/blue pattern from the Prometheus was kept for the Odyssey, it's really hard to tell... and adding another color to the mix... :argh:

@ashleytinger: Thank you!

@BolianAdmiral: Considering the Sao Paulo had purple carpets... yes I guess you're right, it is very DS9... :lol: Regarding the light texture for the main ceiling, yeah that's a possibility, I'll see what I can come up with.

I've continued to work on the ceiling, adjusting the shapes and adding in the secondary light sources. I've also noticed that the little wall supports near the entrances had extruded panels in them, probably added to hide the holes these supports originally had on the Saratoga/Prometheus.

c1_17_by_rekkert-dc8i956.png
    c1_18_by_rekkert-dc8i95k.png
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
  • BlueNeumannBlueNeumann673 Posts: 1,322Member
    Man I love this! As great as it is for a Battle Bridge, I'm imagining it as a primary bridge... meaning we'd have a very slender, sleek take on the Galaxy class that I gotta design.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    Another Keogh Chair ref: Pke41AbndQ7rjnQjgYoZB4cf1p3C1D8ZS53rLKPyZiRJg-BQs1k_JV-_nmY1nLo7leLk4E0NIY5FeiXORUYC2NcSVTgFhuGYMl27lKB9-TDLA_hRVgGeXeEQHGkqMgRutqHwNg_AWJk=w2400
  • StarscreamStarscream231 Posts: 1,049Member
    Yeah, I still reckon the "normal" butresses would look better :P I'm amazed you managed to pick up on that detail though - what was your source for that bit?

The secondary lighting looks spot-on, btw. :) With regards the main lit area in the ceiling, the other Galaxy bridges had their lights dimming towards the outer edges - maybe something similar here?
    @BlueNeumann: Yeah, it might be a lot more compact, but it has all the functionality and stations of the main bridge.

@homerpalooza67: Thanks for that. :)

@Starscream: I noticed it on this frame.

screenshot_from_2018_04_12_16_05_01_by_rekkert-dc8mpme.png

Regarding the main light, I noticed that when the set was given it's final use as ALL THE INTERIORS for the Defiant, we see a lot more details on the ceiling area. Those details probably didn't exist back on the Odyssey, but I'll add them in to have something interesting to the ceiling (I could be wrong and these details could be there since the Saratoga, but I have no evidence of that).

screenshot_from_2018_04_11_21_32_16_by_rekkert-dc8mplz.png
  • JMP11JMP1151 Posts: 130Member
    @Rekkert Interesting find regarding the ceiling, just don't put a skylight in it like the Enterprise-D had...:p
    Damn, good eye Rekkert!
  • Rusty0918Rusty0918267 Posts: 453Member
    Rekkert wrote: »
    @BlueNeumann: Yeah, it might be a lot more compact, but it has all the functionality and stations of the main bridge.

@homerpalooza67: Thanks for that. :)

@Starscream: I noticed it on this frame.

screenshot_from_2018_04_12_16_05_01_by_rekkert-dc8mpme.png

Regarding the main light, I noticed that when the set was given it's final use as ALL THE INTERIORS for the Defiant, we see a lot more details on the ceiling area. Those details probably didn't exist back on the Odyssey, but I'll add them in to have something interesting to the ceiling (I could be wrong and these details could be there since the Saratoga, but I have no evidence of that).

screenshot_from_2018_04_11_21_32_16_by_rekkert-dc8mplz.png

Cripes, I never knew that set was redressed to be multiple Defiant interiors (sickbay, mess hall, etc.)! But looking at the ceiling, I can recognize it now!
    Well, this is proving to be the most challenging part of the bridge, as it's a fairly complex pattern of shapes that has taken me several days just to properly sketch out, checking a ton of DS9 episodes for good shots. Given that the Odyssey bridge is a bit longer than the Defiant ceiling design, I changed the front area layout a bit. There's still a lot to do, but at least the main layout is complete.

c1_19_by_rekkert-dc8z2as.png
    Eh. The set guys really didn't know when to stop with that ribbing, did they? :/ Good job replicating it though!
    It looks great, it's reminiscent of the lines on the Enterprise-D ceiling, though more numerous.
    The port and starboard ones are, I agree. But they really shoulda left the middle areas alone IMO - it's overkill.
    Eh, the middle area doesn't look that bad.
    I like the middle area with the more rounded lights, it's weird but it has grown on me. :lol:

More progress on the ceiling, which I think is done now.

c1_20_by_rekkert-dc92gxa.png
    c1_21_by_rekkert-dc92gxg.png
    The rounded part was fine, it was the excessive strips perpendicular to each other that "grated" :lol:
    I think the ceiling looks perfect now. Any more added detail to it would make it look too crowded and busy, IMO.
    A bit off-topic, Rekkert, the installment of "Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Galaxy Chronicles" I'm working on now features a Springfield-class science vessel known as the USS Borman which has a bridge almost identical to your Chekov bridge with the exception that the Borman has the TNG Conn/Ops instead of that combined unit (though I picture the consoles having those textures that you put on the Chekov's single console and the port and starboard doors being egress corridors!
    @BolianAdmiral: Add any more detail to that ceiling and it would collapse under it's own weight. :p

@Rusty0918: Ohh, that sounds interesting, I should try adding those textures to the TNG consoles someday.

I'm still not entirely satisfied with how accurate the side/front area of the bridge is. Knowing that at least one unique image of the Odyssey bridge came from the Fact Files, I went to try and find if they had any other unique image. I found some pages of the FF as PDFs and luckily the Odyssey page was among them.

odyssey_fact_files_by_rekkert-dc97jdi.png

Now, the first image was the one we already knew, but I had never before seen the bottom one. It gives a good panorama of the bridge at the sides of the Captain, and I noticed that the tactical station stand appears to be a lot thinner than the one on the Enterprise, clearly it was done to be filmed just in a very limited angle.

I know that the FF also includes files on the Nebula Class Prometheus with some unique pictures, and maybe even something from the Saratoga, but I wasn't able to find good quality scans of them online. If someone has the Fact Files and is able to provide pictures or scans, they'll be greatly appreciated. :)
    That second new image is a great reference. I shared this post, with your request for Fact Files references on my FB page, so hopefully one or more of my German friends might be able to help. Looking at that second image, it looks like the set decorators kept the Prometheus commissioning plaque on that far center wall, as you can make out a plaque-sized dark rectangle, behind the Tactical Officer. It looks like they just added a lower bank of LCARS displays below the plaque.
    Looking at that second image, it looks like the set decorators kept the Prometheus commissioning plaque on that far center wall, as you can make out a plaque-sized dark rectangle, behind the Tactical Officer. It looks like they just added a lower bank of LCARS displays below the plaque.

@BolianAdmiral I don't think so, I think it has panels or some other detailing above those LCARS. You can get a clear view that area below.

@Rekkert Is it just me or does that second photo confirm the aft exits are there, like on the Prometheus? It seems to look like light from a fire, from the other side of the exit, is illuminating the alcove ...

I see canon as just what we see onscreen... photos from behind the scenes of areas that weren't seen are interesting, but I don't think have to be considered as "canon."

Untitled.jpg
    112244.jpg
    Ohh, I believe you're right BolianAdmiral! I noticed the darker square but I didn't put two and two together to make it the dedication plaque. It makes sense as it's the same position where the Saratoga/Prometheus plaques are, and we know from the Encyclopedia that a plaque was made for the Odyssey, even though it wasn't seen on the final cut of the episode. It makes sense then that it would be located in an area where it might have been visible. And thank you very much for posting about this on FB. The more pictures, the easier and more accurate everything becomes. :)

JMP11, if I'm reading the image correctly, the plaque is located a bit on the left of that frame you posted. On the Fact Files image you can see the 'I' shaped black lines dividing the beige panels are to the right of the plaque. I assume the same pattern is repeated on the other side of the plaque. Also, notice when the central LCARS panel start, if you compare that on the two images, the plaque is further to the left, and centered to the panel.

(excuse the crude drawing :p)
    untitled_by_rekkert-dc980lu.png

This new image makes clear that there are no lights near the floor on the back wall, and hence the same back wall from the Prometheus was indeed reused (in contrast to the Saratoga, which included floor lights). I'm almost sure now that the back wall panel then has the same size as in the Prometheus. Regarding the LCARS, the two upper levels of the aft console LCARS were reused, but not the keyboard, from this image we can see that there's no room for it there.

Regarding the aft exits, yes I believe you're right JMP11, the two small corridors present on the other ships appear to still be there.
    @Rekkert Looks like y’all are right, seems like they shot a bunch of tight angles to probably make it hard for what we’re trying to do now, get the full picture lol

It almost looks like they removed the captain’s chair to shoot the battle scene when he’s standing the whole time...
    Frankly, I don't think it's the same aft wall (or bulkhead) from the Prometheus. That particular aft wall/bulkhead had a light fixture above the grated lighting panel with the dedication plaque. I'm not seeing that here.
    I think it's the same aft wall as the Prometheus, they just raised the plaque to a level just below the where the light fixture was on the Prometheus, but covered the fixture's spot with that tiling they added. If my estimations are correct... :confused: But I'll leave it to Rekkert to do his awesome work and work it out :)

Research.jpguntitled_by_rekkert-dc980lu.png001.jpg
    112246.jpg112247.png112248.jpg
    @JMP11: I think you're right about them removing the Captain's chair... probably it wasn't fixed to the ground, so any bump during the battle scene would've knocked it down...

Regarding the aft wall, I do believe it's the same one. Light fixtures are extremely easy to place/remove on the wooden set walls, we see that very frequently in Trek.

Still, even if it isn't the same wall, what I meant with that comment is that thanks to that FF picture we now know for certain that it isn't the same aft wall as in the Saratoga, which makes sense as that wall was returned to the Excelsior set for the filming of Generations (now that I think about it, that's also probably why we don't see the front end of the Odyssey bridge, and why the Enterprise-B uses one set of different stations than the Excelsior, they couldn't use the original ones without leaving DS9 with nothing for a bridge).

Checking the Prometheus again, I noticed that the LCARS panels at the back of the bridge are actually a reuse of the shuttle interior seen in 'Second Sight'. They're the same graphics as in the back stations, but arranged in a unique way.

screenshot_from_2018_03_30_05_01_06_by_rekkert-dc9apc0.png

So, in order to get those graphics (and hence the size of the back wall) correct, I've UV mapped the consoles and started laying out the LCARS. it's still very early with just repeated sections, and I haven't even changed the colors, but it's enough to get an estimate of the size needed for the rear panel.

c1_22_by_rekkert-dc9aozn.png
    @Rekkert Good eye catching them reusing those LCARS panels. I assume they modified that wall and filmed it knowing they would reuse it for the season's finale.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    @homerpalooza67: This bridge set was created for the USS Saratoga on the DS9 pilot. Both the viewscreen and the aft section of the Excelsior bridge were used, with a new 'mid section'.

We now start to get into the less seen areas of the bridge so progress is a lot less straightforward, as I'm checking the few references available not wanting to do only to then have to do it again. More specifically, I've started work on the aft section of the bridge and on the side door alcoves.

c1_23_by_rekkert-dc9lckp.png
    c1_24_by_rekkert-dc9lfud.png

At the same time, and driving home the idea of "measure twice, model once", I might have to redo the ceiling completely. :(

I'm still not sure as there's literally only one reference of the side of the bridge, but I believe I made a mistake there. The space between the door alcoves and the buttresses at each side of them seem to be bigger on this photo than they are on my mesh. I would have to move the forward buttress further to the front, but that would misalign it to the ceiling strut which I believe connects to the wall directly above said buttress. I'm trying to find another reference to confirm the ceiling is aligned to the buttress or not.

5dc5c7682e6c1e31122de27338cd389ee1215623_by_rekkert-dc7tjzc.jpg
    Rekkert wrote: »
    At the same time, and driving home the idea of "measure twice, model once", I might have to redo the ceiling completely. :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!