Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    edited July 2020 #1142
    Thanks man. Yeah I have those, I think the best thing to use are the photos. A shot straight overhead and from the bottom exist. The bottom shot is not with the wings flat, but the top appears to be. They and a side shot are in black and white and are the most helpful
    qmnz3mod4ilr.jpg
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    Lizzy777Freakevil_genius_180
    Ok NOW I'm half done... :p

f1acd6pgg5we.jpg

Have played with the render settings and am not sure of the source of the green snow in the cutout of the nose where the disruptor is.
    Freakevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    izj3ekh5a8e5.jpg
    MadKoiFishFreakevil_genius_180Lizzy777
    Thanks @MadKoiFish
  • MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9797 Posts: 5,324Member
    looks like it is from the torp area reflecting on the hull. Look for a reflectance interpolation or sampling rate (on your hull material) to increase the photons or whatever your renderer uses to calculate the emissions materials light. You see this speckling in the yellow on the ships butt too.

I think I saw EG talking about turning down the emission materials to eliminate that. (least I think your both using blender.)
    Brandenberg
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
    Playing with it. I'm actually using Lightwave so the terminology isn't the same. EG has jumped back and forth between Blender and Lightwave.
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    Caught up! Lots of good stuff in this thread.

The Bird of Prey is looking good. One thing that keeps throwing me is that I keep expecting it to be sleeker for some reason, and then in some shots it looks really chunky.
    Brandenberg
    Thanks Adam. I am following the ship closely and it all depends on the angle you look at. I still have some feathering to do on the two panels between the cooling fins. Hence no detail on them yet.

fl1enorrtdma.jpg
    evil_genius_180Adam WarnockLizzy777
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    That looks sweet man...... great work....
    Brandenberg
  • scifiericscifieric1122 Posts: 1,497Member
    This is looking spectacular! Wow!
    Brandenberg
  • markmasseymarkmassey512 StaffordshirePosts: 586Member
    i never understand why they lower the wings for combat... wings up looks so much more aggressive.... and sleek as hell...
    Brandenbergpubliusr
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    It's looking great, dude. :+1:
    Have played with the render settings and am not sure of the source of the green snow in the cutout of the nose where the disruptor is.

Take a look at your refraction and reflection sampling under your render settings. Also, how high is the luminosity set on the green glow material?
    Brandenberg
    Nailed it again my friend. Back in my efforts to make the light come through the glass in the disruptor I had turned the luminosity up to 600% and had forgotten that. All better now.
    Yeah, I made that mistake with my TOS bussards. Once the refraction and reflection samples weren't making a difference, I started looking at the luminosity setting. Lightwave has a lot of great tools, but figuring them out can be a pill since a lot of the learning tools for the software costs money. (and sometimes isn't that useful even after spending money on it)
    edited July 2020 #1156
    markmassey wrote: »
    i never understand why they lower the wings for combat... wings up looks so much more aggressive.... and sleek as hell...

Am I correct in recalling that they only raised the wings for landing (or blocking whale harpoons)?
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2016 Central OhioPosts: 1,246Member
    markmassey wrote: »

Am I correct in recalling that they only raised the wings for landing (or blocking whale harpoons)?

And flight. They raised them for regular warp travel and flight. In ST III, they're up when they meet the frieghter, drop for the attack and after blowing up the freighter they raise as they flew away it was like the ship was celebrating the kill.

Brandenberg
    edited July 2020 #1158
    And flight. They raised them for regular warp travel and flight.

"Flight" - Yes I seem to remember them level when traveling through atmosphere, almost like gliding.
    If you think about it, it's like mimicking a hawk or other predator bird. They fly and circle with wings out, but when they spot something, fold their wings and drop their feet to swoop in and catch the animal with their talons.
    Yeah, I made that mistake with my TOS bussards. Once the refraction and reflection samples weren't making a difference, I started looking at the luminosity setting. Lightwave has a lot of great tools, but figuring them out can be a pill since a lot of the learning tools for the software costs money. (and sometimes isn't that useful even after spending money on it)

I don't know other software packages so may be speaking out of turn, but I get the impression that Lightwave has it's render controls (or things that affect the render) scattered all over the place compared to others. Many of Lightwave's controls are grouped together but not all. In trying to figure out what was going on I used the "help" lookup and there is a nice systematic run through on getting rid of noise (read "lint" "snow" etc) which I will eventually memorize. 'First do this, then this other, than that other and finally if none of those work...' However, the luminosity issue wasn't mentioned. The systematic run through was for the purpose of solving the problem with the lowest render times possible.
    evil_genius_180
    Yeah, I've used Truespace, Blender and Lightwave. Lightwave is the only one where render settings aren't all in the same panel. Finding all of the places with sampling was a pill. This page helped a lot:

https://docs.lightwave3d.com/display/LW2018/Removing+Noise+workflow

But, even that didn't help with figuring stuff out like too much luminosity causing noise. I hate rendering noise. I understand you're going to get some in most programs with modern anti aliasing, but I like eliminating whatever I can. They added a de-noiser to Lightwave 2018, but it pretty much just applies a blur filter to cut out some of the noise. I can do that myself in post.
    Brandenberg
    Working on major greeble elements. Adjusting for accuracy.

tzbfvr8tr50c.jpg

z7w2y2zbitf7.jpg

Lizzy777evil_genius_180ashleytingerFreak
    That's looking stunning.
    Brandenberg
  • Adam WarnockAdam Warnock65 Posts: 102Member
    She's looking good. Almost ready to swat some whalers.
    publiusrBrandenberg
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    She coming along very nicely.
    Brandenberg
  • trekkitrekki947 Posts: 1,400Member
    The weapons of RUDYS BoP on the wings are movable.
    Do you do that too ?
    j8kvds6v7szm.jpg
    pbsgtvshghvs.jpg

trekki wrote: »
    The weapons of RUDYS BoP on the wings are movable.
    Do you do that too ?
    Well certainly you can move anything in a 3D software package you want, but I still have yet to figure out how to make that function work in a symmetrical way in Lightwave.
    They didn't move on the studio model, only on the special disruptor thar Greg Jein built for Star Trek V. (that was designed by John Eaves)
    Brandenberg
    edited July 2020 #1168
    They didn't move on the studio model, only on the special disruptor thar Greg Jein built for Star Trek V. (that was designed by John Eaves)
    Yeah that makes sense. I don't remember them moving. In some of the photos, there are a bunch of mechanical greebles on the back side of the short connector from the wing to the final piece that drops down to the gun (the part that is disappearing inside the wing in the above shots). It would be nice to have a closeup, but I assumed they had something to do with changing the bank angle of the gun.
    edited July 2020 #1169
    It's in the first 20 seconds of this clip.

Post edited by evil_genius_180 on
    Hmmm. That gun pivoted within the gun casing. Rudy's motion in the above pictures isn't the same.
    The gun design looks slightly different too. As I said, it was designed by John Eaves, who was hired by Greg Jein to do model work for the film. They wanted to do a closeup of the BOP wing and show a recoil action and moving guns for the film. Looking at his design in "The Art of John Eaves," it looks like he moved the smaller outer barrels in closer to the main gun so that they would rotate with the main gun easily. Without doing that, it's probably harder to move the canon itself. Rudy probably moved the gun articulation point so that he could animate the guns but remain more faithful to the filming miniature, rather than the enlarged wing section that, to my knowledge, was only used in that film.

You can actually see the wing section they built behind the BOP model from the Christies' auction:

fda2hxxydmkl.jpg

mqmgzdu289rm.jpg

Also, someone broke the BOP while it was there:

75kto67yvesa.jpg
    scifieric