Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DMy Star Trek Thread

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Looking great. The Bird of Prey is probably one of those ships that's hard to get a set of fully accurate schematics for, given the moving wings and whatnot.
    scifiericBrandenberg
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1664 CaliforniaPosts: 1,940Member
    Yeah... This is hard. :#
    edited June 2020 #1054
    Schematics - :-1:
    Pictures - :+1:
    All the organic shapes - :-1:
    All the greebles and greebles and greebles - fun but :-1:
    Plating on organic shapes - :-1: :-1:
    Worth doing? :+1: :+1: (If you enjoy swearing)
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    evil_genius_180Freak
    qo75ydek2djh.png

SIGH
    evil_genius_180ashleytingerLizzy777FreakWarp Propulsion LaboratoryFULCRUM

That sounds like an accurate analysis.
    Brandenberg
    edited June 2020 #1057
    I've started doing comparison renders. It helps me a great deal with accuracy. Eventually I will render them the same size and overlay one above the other. Then I fade upper layer in and out to spot differences. The difference in direction of the disruptors has to do with my camera not being back far enough. Right off the bat it looks like I toned down the lower part of the main hull too much. Also the disruptors are not wide enough. I see lots of other problems.

90mickt2iggc.png

Lizzy777
  • CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    @Coward - Man. A big thanks. I had not seen those images before (and have them all now). Something I noticed (I hope I am seeing it right) is that the final extension of the bottom of the main hull isn't a round dome in those images.

One of the frustrating things is going to be trying to interpret size differences due to perspective. Unlike the computer or blueprints, a camera can't do orthographic imaging.

As far as I can tell, the model appears to be the same model as the images I have of it on blue screen. I'm especially sure of that as I look at the bridge and neck. So the bottom round dome versus the "suitcase-shaped" structure I see in those images is a head scratcher.

One pleasing thing is that I think I came closer to some of the internal greeble detail on the wingtip guns, from what I can see in those studio pictures.

That "suitcase-shaped" structure is definitely interesting. I did a bit of research and from what I could see it was an extra bit of detail added for Star Trek IV that was possibly never used in any shots afterwards.
    Brandenberg
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    edited June 2020 #1059

A good rule of thumb is, If you're swearing over it, and yet you still want to do it, it's worth doing. (Except Dark Souls, that's just an ulcer maker)

BTW, which version of the BoP are you using?
    If it's the ST:III & IV version, which is the one most of us probably think of, those wingtip disruptors you currently have are 100% fine.
    But if you're using the one from ST:V, it's wingtip cannons have a much more detailed configuration with more components. There is a scene where when they fire, it has a close-up of the cannons and they're completely different.
    Post edited by Barricade on
    Brandenberg
    edited June 2020 #1060
    Interesting. Am I correct that there was only one BOP ever made? It got a lot of use across the different series and movies?

Edit. I think we posted simultaneously and I didn't see yours @Barricade
    I'll try to find the alternate wingtip disruptor.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    edited June 2020 #1061
    One of the frustrating things is going to be trying to interpret size differences due to perspective. Unlike the computer or blueprints, a camera can't do orthographic imaging

Try using something like fspy. If you can guess the focal length of the studio model, it can use hand-drawn straight edges on a photo to align blender's camera to the photo you're referencing exactly. In theory you could do a perfect overlay of your BOP model against the studio photos, seems to have enough straight edges to pull it off.

I've never tried it on something like a model (only architecture), but it beats beating your head against perspective photos, i suppose.

There wasn't a 2nd BOP model, there's this note on Memory Alpha:
    For Star Trek V, a separate, enlarged model of one of the Klingon ship's wings (including one of the craft's wing-mounted disruptor cannons) was built, so that the wing could be shown in close-up. This miniature measured 36" × 40" and was rigged so that, when the disruptor cannon fired, the weapon's firing mechanism would move. This was shown in the first scene that features the Bird-of-Prey, wherein the craft destroys the Pioneer 10 probe, and in the film's climactic moments, when the Klingon vessel annihilates the God of Sha Ka Ree.
    Post edited by count23 on
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited June 2020 #1062
    Is this the one you are thinking of?
    e56ad5ge0n5r.jpg
  • BarricadeBarricade199 Posts: 181Member
    Yup, that's the one.
    The outer piece, what looks like a dual barreled turret, is exactly the same, but the main disruptor has a lot more piping on it in the ST:V version (the image above). The original BoP, which I believe is what you're working on, has only a single pipe 'droop' under the main barrel, paralleling it, until you get to the rectangular 'muzzle' bit.

Brandenberg
    edited June 2020 #1064
    Thanks @Barricade
    Yeah, everything forward of the cowling is different. I have mixed feelings about whether I like it better or at all. They also added a lot of greebling to the front edge of the piece that connects it to the BOP wings.

In the render below, besides backlighting it, there is a LOT of work on the neck. You had made a comment that the neck always appears shorter in 3D models vs the real thing. I wonder if it is an optical illusion. I realized that the neck isn't a single square girder from the bridge to main hull. It is a series of progressively smaller girders as you go from top to bottom. I changed mine to be the same. To my eye it seems to make the neck seem longer.

5jxu77frxbyc.png
    Lizzy777evil_genius_180Freakpubliusr
    That's looking really good.
    Brandenberg
    Thanks mightily! :) I'm finally getting close on the underbelly.
  • count23count23361 Posts: 781Member
    Looks good, I'm curious to see how you do the mechanisms under the wings, i have no clue how the studio model concealed the hinges for the movement.
    Brandenberg
    Formerly Nadesico.

Current Projects:
    Ambassador Class
    edited June 2020 #1068
    In some of the pictures I have, you can see the hinges. Chris Kuhn modeled them in his model. They aren't much, (Just 2 per side and not like a piano hinge or anything) if I am understanding them correctly.
    7djn4g6cahsv.png
    evil_genius_180
    I put together a study of the little dual front lights for helping me in modeling them.
    5q5379ayqd36.png
  • CowardCoward519 Posts: 34Member
    Interesting. Am I correct that there was only one BOP ever made? It got a lot of use across the different series and movies?

I think you're correct, but if the model with the suit-case structure is another model they did a good job matching the smaller details between the two.
    Brandenberg
    According to Memory Alpha, there was one practical "hero" Bird-of-Prey built. Of course, they used smaller scale models and whatnot (even Christmas ornaments) for stuff like explosions. And, of course, a CGI model was built for the later seasons of DS9.
    Brandenberg
    There are things to improve about this but here is my first pass at the under wing conduit and forward lights detail.
    9s4p5ju0y9mb.png
    evil_genius_180Lizzy777FreakWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    And, of course, a CGI model was built for the later seasons of DS9.
    I wonder how close that mesh was to the original model. We probably never saw it close enough to really know.

And, of course, a CGI model was built for the later seasons of DS9.
    I wonder how close that mesh was to the original model. We probably never saw it close enough to really know.

I just know they could finally move the wings again. ;) The motors in the studio model weren't doing that well by the time they did TNG, that's why the wings hardly ever moved.
    Brandenberg
    edited June 2020 #1075
    Such a shame. I wonder who owns the model now? Probably Jeff Bezos again.
    Tackled the "warp field controllers" on the top back of the wings. I am thoroughly experiencing why you (and I) were hesitant to do this model. It's soooo hard :#

2bcm89bcnr0p.png
    evil_genius_180BarricadeFreakWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    It looks great, dude.

Yeah, this is hands down one of the best Star Trek designs and the studio model is fantastic. However, the level of detail is insane and the references vary, so it's not easy at all. I think a Borg cube would be easier.
    Brandenberg
    I keep having the experience of THINKING I have something right, and then I’ll see the same object at a different angle on a different picture I didn’t notice before and realize I DON’T have it right.
    I had that same experience with the Constellation class. It's a pain working from photo references.
    Brandenberg
  • ashleytingerashleytinger2014 Central OhioPosts: 1,245Member
    I do not envy you this model but I love seeing the results!
    edited June 2020 #1080
    I had that same experience with the Constellation class. It's a pain working from photo references.

Chris, are you telling me that's what I have to look forward to when I do the Constellation? :p :)
    edited June 2020 #1081
    I do not envy you (doing) this model but I love seeing the results!

Thanks, that's nice of you.