Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3D-= MKF random trek thread =-

• MadKoiFishMadKoiFish9696 Posts: 5,299Member
    Quick lower bridge. Had an idea of turning that lower tube pole into a docking port for smaller ships.

up-station-0086.jpg
    Plan is to use these on the upper platforms as well.
    lewisnivenashleytingerBrandenbergLizzy777
    Each day we draw closer to the end.
  • FreakFreak1088 Posts: 4,361Member
    Oww, I like that!
    oops forgot to press post >_>

Bah I had hopes it would fit but nope, too big. So I guess if I put a ring there it is small ships only ATM I have one of my fugly danubes up there and it looks super tiny. I would guess mostly small stuff would dock within the station premier like this anyhow. I suppose I could stuff Defiant sized ships in between the platforms IF they have to dock to it. I doubt they would as a construction facility but nothing saying it cannot be used as a orbiting station either. Dunno heh.
    up-station-0087.jpg
    Defiant is Nightfever's imported in via FBX. Some materials such as glows and transparencies did not make it through. But it works good enough.
    Warp Propulsion LaboratoryFreakLizzy777
    edited July 2020 #1925
    Ok, got a bit carried away here. . . . .
    up-station-0090.jpg
    cloned about to see how they look.
    up-station-0091.jpg
    up-station-0092.jpg
    up-station-0093.jpg
    up-station-0094.jpg
    All the spike things near the columns are just temp visual noise. Plan is to do unique bits in the different levels. Joke is renders I think took longer than the work done.
    Post edited by MadKoiFish on
    FreakBrandenbergLizzy777Hunter G
    Seeing as the Defiant is to big, and the runabout just does not look right.
    It most likely us by ship that 7 of 9 parents used. (The USS Raven.)

Raven.jpg
    Brandenbergpubliusr
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1655 CaliforniaPosts: 1,937Member
    I'm glad you did something different with the two levels of the crossover. It looks really great.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I really like that addition to the station
    I do not have a raven. I got ugly danubes. While idea is any small ship could dock. I would expect mostly freighters and work ships docking to ferry people and cargo to and fro and to building frames etc. KIM this is a Utopia Planitia Station.
    Quickly adapted the crossovers to the upper platforms.
    up-station-0095.jpg

then a test run to see how it looks.
    up-station-0097b.jpg
    BrandenbergashleytingerRekkertFreaklewisnivenLizzy777slybrarianHunter GWarp Propulsion Laboratory
    edited July 2020 #1930
    How it should have been for the show (I realize they had time constraints).
    So (and I don't disagree) you're not going to detail the dark bands like the canon model?
    Post edited by Brandenberg on
    publiusr
    At some point I will, I just have not figured out what the hell they are.
    Unless Doug answers your email, I think you’ll just be making it up. However you always have great ideas.
    Torp launchers 3 per dumbell. Probably wont have more than this.
    up-station-0102.jpg
    Might have to knock back the detail some. . . . . . .
    lewisnivenashleytingerBrandenbergFreakLizzy777Hunter G
  • lewisnivenlewisniven2491 UKPosts: 462Member
    Looks great, I'd agree probably a bit over detailed compared to the rest of the model, especially if it'll only be seen at medium to long range as a background element, does look good though. What the dead with the windows? Just the shape cut in to the hull with a texture map applied?
    All textures. Bump map gloss map aniso and a ilumanation mix with a blurry series of rooms applied with a different size and tiling so they randomly light the windows. Not meant to be seen as close as the last render.
  • ashleytingerashleytinger1989 Central OhioPosts: 1,225Member
    I like the detailed launchers. Like maybe they've been swapped out and not everything fits exactly or cleanly as it did in the previous model.
    publiusr
    You know, I don't usually think of Federation stations with torpedo launchers. I should. DS-9 had them. I guess it's because we never saw a scene where the big earth mushroom station or Regula I or Station K7 launched any.
    Yeah I figured this thing had phaser nipples all over it (likely because I think the textures were lifted from a Excelsior class. Triangle RCS etc.

Added more details and started working up the base of the tubes and the start of the dumbbell. Applied a bit of a too strong lum on the inner ring. BUT it kinda works. . . the upper antenna farm had a clipped cyan surface so I might add this material up there.

up-station-0104.jpg
    up-station-0105.jpg

Idea behind the torp placement is to have the loading mechanism central to the structure. Plan for the pillars or columns is to have them be modules repeating the
    lewisnivenFreakBrandenbergRekkertLizzy777Hunter G
    Yeah, I'm really liking the illumination.
  • RekkertRekkert4037 Buenos Aires, ArgentinaPosts: 2,302Member
    Agreed that the light works, and I really like those launchers and the logic behind having a central location for torpedos on each dumbbell.
    For all my finished Trek fan art, please visit my portfolio
    Started raising panels on the shroom/dumbbell undersides. Found I got the panel count wrong so I am having to work around that. Mine are base 3 while the refs is base 4. I am also debating what of the markings on the hull should or should not be there. A lot of the red lines are just from reuse of a single texture map. (suspect it is one for a Excelsior class model as mentioned before)

up-station-0108.jpg
    up-station-0109.jpg

Doug has gone dark so I am assuming it is work or hope it is work and not anything else.

Wi5th that said I might move over and work on the D again amid the distractions of emulation gaming. Having lost my bluetooth on my media pc has dampened that somewhat as all the extra features on the controller are non functional over usb. Gyro positioning etc. Really fun playing older 3d games and running them at 4k.
    RekkertHunter GFreakBrandenbergLizzy777
  • Hunter GHunter G1905 Posts: 543Member
    The windows on the neck of this thing (1701 D) are depressing. The sizes vary and the floors are clearly not level.

I like the redesign of the crossovers.
    I'll say it again, the D has WAY too many windows lol.

I'm loving that station. I'd love to see your interpretation of K-13

Heh yeah, mostly though in strange places and annoying in cgi locations. Does not help the secondary hull is such a large object and has so many places to get right that collapsing it to do the windows is just nerve wracking.

Small update prior to distractions of dinner and after dinner videos. A extendable docking ring and magnetic clamps. Larger render shows it just sitting on the collar opening but would be mounted to a clamp like the platforms are. However I dunno if that location would be of much use for anything larger than a Defiant class. So these would likely go on the domes or smaller discs.
    up-station-0112.jpg
    up-station-0113.jpg
    Still no idea what those glowing white and cyan bits are so i will have to decide on that soon. Choices will be:
    1) large walls of windows and the glow bits were just representation off offices.
    2) something similar to the glowing blue patterns on the TMP drydock a type of holding emitter to locate anything in the dock, this case it would be to control surrounding dry docks or equipment within the stations field.
    3) represents interiors of multiple landing and supply bays or bays for massive replicators. In this case a real shape that is represented by the texture.

Well least these are all the ideas I could come up with each has drawbacks or arguments against. EG large tractor or stability emitters having them at various levels and even pointing at the station make no sense. Could go on that large bays would be a issue because of the dumbbell/mushroom sections are too close to interior walls of the dome undersides. ETC.

ATM I have not found this pattern anywhere else on tng or the 90s cgi trek that I recognize. Hell I mean I could be way off guessing the texture is something pulled from another model. It could have been put together real quick for the model itself.
    BrandenbergLizzy777Hunter G
    Some renders of docked ships. I am guessing most would nose in like Intrepid class ships that have a forward collar. I would assume ships not displaying a visual collar would have them under panels around the extensive edges of the ships eg near the left and right sides of saucers or in the front. Clearly getting a collar under the saucer overhang and into the neck dock is a not very universal length or position.
    up-station-0114.jpg
    up-station-0115.jpg
    I'd show other ships but this is sadly the extent of my v-ray ships. Everything else is in mental ray and those render full of error notices and very poorly. Loads of conversion to do when time permits. Sadly I often get distracted and start FIXING the ships instead of just changing out materials.

I also have to check settings as my lum materials seem to lack brightness so I am guessing some stupid drop down menu was close to my mouse when I was trying to scroll the main menu and ended up changing some setting somewhere. Really hate how they allow drop menus to be activated without first being clicked. UGH.

wow I did not realize how blue I made that Jigoku class not to mention how small it is when I have it next to the Defiant. derp?
    FreakashleytingerBrandenbergLizzy777
    Nice.
    Yeah it make sense that they would have docking collars saucer hidden behind hatches.

I guess with the galaxy class it only docks with the neck in the mushroom station and station like DS9 that pylons sticking out quite far for docking.
    Decided to mix up the black band details. Lower domes will get large windows while the others will get one of the other options. Manually cutting them into the hull for now I might just map them on if I go with the station keeping tractors idea.

up-station-0116.jpg
    RekkertBrandenbergLizzy777Freak
    I did the same thing with mine. Took some license with what those bright side bands were. I love the shot with all the ships. Something like that would have been nice in the Utopia Planetia shot on Voyager!
    Alternative location.
    up-station-0118.jpg
    Lizzy777
    That place makes more sense for starships to dock just in terms of room. It seems like they need a better base of origin like some kind of recessed alcove where the docking ring extends from.

I like your idea of using the dark-banded areas as multiple landing and supply bays. Somewhat analogous to one of those storage garage bays that people rent to keep extra stuff that doesn't fit in their house. Only in this case it is just a more accessible place for offloading supplies.
    My thought was that there were these pairs of blocks in those gaps so might as well stuff the docking collars there. in reality those areas are probably less open than the upper platforms, but having 2 collars per dome should do and being extendable it can clear the curvature of the domes.
    Ok taking ages just to space these out and define what is on the model. So far I have found almost every row has changes during the tv and after the generations repaint. YUCK. Odd is how some have no evidence of paintover like someone spent time filling and sanding smooth the old windows.
    galaxy-0476.png

I still cannot account for the SFX shot from that brd s1 special as it appears to have the green and blue paint but the generations window sets. I have yet to find this window arrangement in the show but that is a lot of eps to scan through. Not to mention having to decipher CGI replacement shots or altered shots. The cgi model is sporting the generations window arrangement and even then some stuff does not match up.

I will likely default on the tv series paint. Mostly because the color set just looks odd and also does strange things in render and is a real pain to not get it to blur into a single color or create strange effects. Dunno if this is a cgi thing or maybe my materials or if it was just as much of a headache filming the bloody thing but both blue and green are damn near the same value EG photograph the ship with b&w film and those 2 colours would be nearly indistinguishable.

however I might just texture map all the panel crap. Just hate the idea of having huge fing textures spanning the hull. Hated dealing with those on my TOS connie and had wanted to make it so I could alter the colors on the ship globaly without resorting to complex mix and blend maps. EG use a mask map to define each color via a texture so I could just adjust one thing and change it all over the ship. Original idea was to change the diffuse on X material to affect color adjustments vs messing with a color in a texture map shader.
    Lizzy777