Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DFTL Shuttle Design

• evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Great stuff. :thumb:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looking awesome.
  • bosunbosun62 Posts: 0Member
    I like the new portholes/skylights. Will you be doing deckplans?
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Cheers guys. As far as deckplans are concerned, we'll have to wait until it is a little more complete before I look into that sort of thing, but I am planning to develop an interior for this as part of its development, so there is no reason why not at the right time.
    "Hey Talon, remember me? I'm that cool FTL shuttle you were designing. Don't leave me half-finished, man! I deserve better!" :(
    bosun wrote: »
    "Hey Talon, remember me? I'm that cool FTL shuttle you were designing. Don't leave me half-finished, man! I deserve better!" :(

Hi Bosun, it is quite gratifying to hear your impassioned plea on the FTL Shuttle's behalf, and that the WIP design has had this effect on you. Fear not, this and my other half completed baby (the Corellian Courier) are far from dead. I have just been crazy busy with work commitments over the past month or two which has clearly had to take priority. I hope to get back to work on them around Christmas, so look out for updates on these projects then.
    :thumb: Now that's what I call glad tidings of great joy for the festive Ep 7 season! Happy Life Day, Talon, and may the Force bless us, every one.
    Did you find yourself blessed by the Force yet? I have twice so far. It isn't perfect, but it is damned close and certainly awesome.

On another note, here's a swift little Christmas gift before I head off to family for the holidays...

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_49.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_50.jpg

Have just completed my first pass on the hull paneling for the main body of the ship, there will be a further detail pass where I'll add a few greebles and such where appropriate, but this should be a pretty good representation of how I see the shuttle exterior looking. Feedback welcome as always.

Happy holidays, Merry Christmas etc, see you on the other side.

:thumb:
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972322 Posts: 1,202Member
    Looks really good. Nice to see some work still going on it.

Saw the movie, loved it, been listening to the soundtrack almost constantly since.
    The shuttle is looking great. I really like the paneling.
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Did you find yourself blessed by the Force yet?

No. Some of us were busy working and didn't even know the tickets were on sale already until they were already sold out for the first two weeks. :rolleyes: So, I now have to wait until next year to see it.
    Unlucky. It'll be worth the wait.
    Good paneling. This shuttle is going places! Of course, that's what shuttles are supposed to do, right?

I've seen that movie too, but only once so far. I liked it, not as much as the OT, but far better than the PT. Don't let the lack of originality in the story bother you. It's like Roadrunner cartoons; you know the coyote is going over the cliff eventually, but you still can enjoy the heck out of the journey there.
    @ Bosun, It has issues, but I still loved this movie. We'll have to see where it sits in the series after the dust settles and everyone has the chance to calm down and process the fact that there are new Star Wars movies.

Here are a few orthos of the main hull as it stands, some more details to be added, and landing gear are up next.

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_51.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_52.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_53.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_54.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_55.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_56.jpg
    Sweet. Any plans to do orthos of the drive section, or do you just plan on doing orthos of the assembled ship?
    Thanks, will most likely do orthos of the finished main hull, and have orthos of it combined with the drive ring, as there's not much that you'd not see on the drive ring once it is connected to the main hull anyway, other than the magna-lock plates which connect the drive ring to the main ship. Certainly not enough to warrant a separate set of orthos for the drive ring alone.
    I really love the details on this model. :thumb:
    That circular feature on the upper surface, between the forward ends of the drive attach slots, I've been assuming that's an emergency escape hatch?
    Yeah, that's a hatch, though I'm going to be reworking that area at some point as I'm not quite happy with it. The oriface the hatch sits on needs to be a little wider to give sufficient clearance to allow the hatch to open properly. The hatch hinge details could also be better designed.
    Had a chance to do a little more work on this, here is the start of the interior detailing for the landing gear bays.

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_57.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_58.jpg
    That's an interesting hinge/actuator system for the doors. Are they hydraulically operated? (Or am I getting much too much hung up on fictional technical details, as has been known to happen?)
    Heh, you might be reading a little too much into that detail. Was just looking to design something simple, but interesting looking for that detail.

There is something to what you're saying though. When I decided to add the additional cylinder details to the upper part of the arm to bulk it up a bit I was thinking that this detail could possibly serve to house some sort of hydraulic apparatus. So you're not that far off the mark.
    Okay peeps, a bit of an image dump tonight, have pretty much finished up the nose landing gear (will probably add a rod that will attach to the upper gear section from the rear to lock it in the down position), which I'm happy is behind me as this was the most complex of the bunch due to the distance it had to travel to get to the ground (this is the one deployed when the shuttle is still attached to the drive ring), all the others are comparatively squat and should be much easier to develop. So the images to follow show the components of the gear in it's bay, and then the images after that show shots from the landing gear deployment cycle animation (will render this out later so you can see this in motion). They are also shown in situ with the drive ring attached to the shuttle and an appropriately positioned ground plane below. The drive ring when complete will have two compartments on it's lower section which it will deploy it's much shorter landing gear from.

Enough of my waffle though, here are the pics, as ever let me know what you think, all crits welcome.

Cheers.

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_59.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_60.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_61.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_62.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_63.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_64.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_65.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_66.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_67.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_68.jpg

FTL_Shuttle_WIP_69.jpg
    The still shots look believable to me. If the animation runs the way I think it does, it should be more than realistic enough for all but the most nitpicky viewers.

I'll try not to be nitpicky, but be warned, I spent ten years maintaining aircraft landing gear retraction systems. Eventually you may be forced to tell me to shut up about it; I won't take it personally, I promise. :)
    Go for it, I've already spotted something annoying I'll have to fix, will let you try and find it on your own.

:p
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Nice, but I hope they don't lose hydraulic pressure or that whole nose gear will collapse, messy.
    Nah, those cylinders on the gear would be operated by arrays of magna-lock devices to drive the rods down the shaft and lock them in position. Or some technobabble like that.

;)
    It looks great to me, but I know little about aircraft or landing gear designs. That's one reason I stay away from those in my own work. ;)
    Are you going to include a retractable ladder to climb from the shuttle to the ground? I'd hate to try to scale that nose strut; it looks pretty slick.
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    TALON_UK wrote: »
    Nah, those cylinders on the gear would be operated by arrays of magna-lock devices to drive the rods down the shaft and lock them in position. Or some technobabble like that.

;)

doesn't need to be that exotic - as each segment reaching full extension a little lock pops out and prevents it sliding back inside the larger segment - need a small motor or something to retract them when you want to take off again but thats not a big issue - i would like to see the brace moved a little further down that first segment - strain on that hinge would be quite high since its such a long lever arm
  • StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    also might go with wheels instead of pads - wheels come in handy when you want to move it without having to fly the thing