Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DStar Trek: Angel class battlecruiser, MkII - USS.Glory

CreativeZollerCreativeZoller61 Posts: 0Member
edited September 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Captain's log...

This is my first post so, please be kind and constructive :cool:

I made the MkI plans years ago, and the 3D version was never made from it, according to the lack of time. This second version is a basic prototype, a "paper boat", which will be detailed and improved in more paces, always after some digital drawing on the render images. This version is now in multiple pieces and not finished since what really matters is just the overall shape and size to be perfect, right now :)
I will update this post if somebody is interested in the origin of the ship or any technical datas about it :)

Let me introduce you the USS.Glory - NX.82-691, Angel class battlecruiser.

For now, I just post some views of it with WIP settings, and the plan drawings from the recent past
So any advices, comments are welcome :thumb:

PS: I know there are some triangle error at the bottom end but don't know how to fix it yet :s Also there are some smoothing errors, which I also don't know how to fix them.... but any advices are warmly welcome.
108460.png
108461.png
Post edited by CreativeZoller on
Tagged:

• SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Your evolution to the MkII is nice and it seems like your making improvements everywhere that may have needed them. Your first 3D renderings show a pretty solid design that works from the angles you've shown. Keep it up. :thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804596 Posts: 11,184Member
    I like it. It's got that cool late 24th century flowing vibe to it.

On the smoothing errors, it may help to let people know what software you're using. Fixes are different for different programs.
  • SATRSATR256 Posts: 413Member
    super looking ship
  • CreativeZollerCreativeZoller61 Posts: 0Member
    Thank you @Schimpfy and @SATR :)
    I'm sorry @evil_genius_180, I am using 3d MAX 2014, and here I attach a simple screenshot :) The problems are with my new shaped engineering-hull with deflector place and the aft arch... The triangels are at the aft bottom, as well :(
    Screenshot-2015-03-29-21.33.09.png
    108466.png
  • YggYgg0 Posts: 0Member
    wow thats great, very harmonic design, just excellent, how big is this ship? maybe a comparison shot with something well known?
    Sorry, my recent answer was from the office PC where I left myalt acc logged in... but yea, here I a magain :)

Thank you @Ygg. I tried to make out the best of it. Actually the design took me a very long time, because the first drawings was from 2009! So... :) MkI was finally finished after about 10 reincarnation, and now - according to the events of STO season 9 and projected *spoiler alert!* Iconian war from season 10- after the two new-era JJ movie, the MkII is finally designed and ready for the details and the fine-tuning as much in the outside as in the inside ;)
    I found this old image about the ship first and the MkI versioned sizes. The ship was originally 460 meters long, but compared to other ships shapes and sizes it was designed to be about 320 meters long. So I got the Odyssey-class Enterprise-F /or USS.Enterprise-F/ and make the resize job. So MkI became approximately 480 meters long, and MkII has this size as well, the only difference in size is just the height of the main hull, which was changed. But the whole height did not change, neither the width of this beauty :)
    The ship has 20decks, which are contain the walkable corridors, and the service tunnels, jefferies tubes too. The bridge module are a little higher, according to the bulk walls -which separates it from the main hull in case of emergency, but later on it- and the lowest deck is smaller, according to it has mainly service tunnels and hull reinforcing plates as well as some of the generators for the replicated ablative heavy armor -modified version of the one Voyager bring home from it's journey, and the one which is available but just as graphic on the avenger class bc in STO-, and of course some sensor arrays for the quantum slipstream drive.
    wip0jhbw2s.pngwip02608p4w.png
    108468.png108471.png
  • YggYgg0 Posts: 0Member
    good things take time :), definitly worth it, thats also the size i would have guessed, seems most plausible

i really like how these unusual shapes come together to this harmonic, and it manages to be unique without being gimmicky or excentric, still cant quite figure it out but it definitly works, this would easily fit in with the canon ships too, really looking forward for more of it
  • TrekMDTrekMD192 Posts: 639Member
    I like the look of this design.
    Thank you again :)
    I tried Relax on the problematic (red coloured) polys, but the change is not very dramatic :( I don't know what to do, because my poly is the same after I push the quadrify selected button. I attach images about it. Anyone anything advice?glory_wip2.png
    108481.png
    Wel.. I am in making to use swift loop on the hard edges to make more smoother the overall shape, because found out it makes easier the champfer if I will need it somewhere :)
    But does any of you know how to make lesser polygons with the smoothing? I mean there are so much polygons in extra after the modifier, and in reality, the half of them are unnecessary ^^ Please if you know a way to it, share here :)
    Updates coming soon.
    glory_wip4.png
    Just a little update, as i modify the parts of this beauty for a better later procedure... Aligning the pylons better, making loop edge where I see it'd be practical, and planning the engineering hull modifications to erase those triangle errors at the rear curve. And just playing with some smoothings to see which one gets a better final shape and which is better for poly-less outcome.
    108525.png
    Looking good. Personally, I'd go for the higher poly one, but that's how I roll. ;)
    Thanks @evil_genius_180. You mean the one with MeshSmooth modifier? That is my favourite, too :)
    Anyway I made some implements on the saucer.. and ready to attach with the engineering hull. But before that.. please someone tell me how could I make this triangle problem non-problem thing? :) Don't know how to correct.. tried to make slices and another edge loop in the outer edges but it only make this beauty uglier :/ So.. I have no idea :( The problematic areas are in the upper two quadrants.
    glory_wip5.png
    108530.png
    Yeah, the MeshSmooth one. It looks really nice.

I don't know on the triangle thing. Is there any way you can make those quads? That may help, but I'm not sure how your software works.
    Yeah.. in 3D Max it's really hard sometimes... But I made all the mesh to be untriangle.. only this part is messed up.. messing with me >< :) Googled a lot about this, all places say to make edge loops and tessalate, but tessalation makes much more polys for the selected areas, nothing more which could be helpful to me :( Neverthless I am trying... if anyy of the 3D Max gurus here know the solution or a solution.. warmly welcome :)
    Well... I can't find a way to make the smoothing errors in the aft section of my ship. And also I have got more problems after attaching the saucer-segment to the engineering-hull segment, unfortunately :( I attach the pictures about how many new vertexes are there after the swift looping and.... I am asking for your help at how the hell to fix them at the join of the two segments? :( Really frustrating that these two kinf of problems are the only who keeps me getting into the detailed planning in advance :(
    glory_wip6a.jpgglory_wip6b.png
    108581.jpg108582.png
    Just a short update :) Managed to solve the saucer-engineering section cross-overs, also managed to lower the polygon number on the overall modell. With meshsmooth modifiers she costs only 8.524 polys ^^
    But still have to fix the aft part, below the shuttle-bay -or not shuttle-bay, we'll see... Maybe one extra swift loop on both side of the saucer section from the side view.. any ideas are warmly welcome guys :)
    Screenshot 2015-04-13 21.53.59.png
    108607.png
    Weekend-update :) So i made some modifications in the whole geometry, now it looks a little more streamlined and powerful at the same time - something you could imaginate to turn as fast as the Defiant class and do as much damage as a Sovereign class /with some updates of course/, if you don't know the exact sizes of this beauty.
    Thanks to @xerxes_2k2 for her help, I could understand correctly the edge-flow meanings in the aft section and redo mine to be good. Also there occured some errors after smoothing unfortunately, but I was able to fix the majority of that. There are errors only at the shuttle bay area, unfortunately, which ones I don't know how to solve, but in meanwhile I'll do two version for the warp nacelle prototypes. Also thinking on redo the pylons again because there are something with them I dislike, but don't know exactly what.... So comments are welcomed :)
    gloryWIP0419_1.png
    108640.png
  • xerxes_2k2xerxes_2k2173 Posts: 32Member
    Thanks to @xerxes_2k2 for her help
    just an FYI its his, not hers :)

Its looking good so far, looking forward to seeing more.
    The geometry is looking nice and clean. :)
    xerxes_2k2 wrote: »
    Thanks to @xerxes_2k2 for her help
    just an FYI its his, not hers :)

Its looking good so far, looking forward to seeing more.

I apologize. Of course, it's a his :)

Now i made the new pylons to connect my beauty engineering-hull with the not ready warp nacelles... I think it's now more like one with the hull of her ^^ More cleaner curves and angles, in my opinion but I would love to hear yours!
    Also I attach a screen about that newcame problem which is visible from close, after applying the meshsmooth modifier and a hell of a way to edig the vertex level of the smoothing :S Any ideas how to overcome these?
    Screenshot 2015-04-21 23.04.54.pngScreenshot 2015-04-21 23.08.40.png
    108664.png108665.png
    Some update.... made the warp nacelle prototypes. The front-part is similar to xerxes_2k2's XXV.th century ships one. My original idea was loking nice from top or side but.... cannot be brought into line :/ So here is the final, which will be detailed later, of course :)
    So now the only one thing is to somehow correct those ugly smooths at the shuttle-bay area...
    gloryWIP0502_1.png
    108706.png
    The nacelles look nice. I like the tapers on the front and back, they add visual interest.
  • xerxes_2k2xerxes_2k2173 Posts: 32Member
    I also like the offset flats that you have on the nacelles, its coming along nicely :).
    Well it was a very long mandatory pause in the progress but... finally I recreated the main shape of the ship, so it's more powerful and stylish looking than ever. I played a lot with shapes and dynamics... Now it really looks like a late XIV. century Starfleet cruiser :) Now working on the determinative bridge-modul and bridge itself (gonna build the interior also), and after that the warp nacelles to go. In these screenshots there is a placeholder for my new deflector (which will be actually a primary and secondary deflector in one piece because of the quantum slipstream drive system), so do not imagine it as a final part of the ship.
    2up4ow7.jpg11u7sw5.png
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Nice. If it's a designated battle cruiser, perhaps the bridge should be within the hull rather than on top. I've seen some good designs where it wasn't visible. :thumb:
    Well frankly the purpose of the Angel class was to replace the Prometheus class starships in the light of the whole Iconian War since the end of the Dominion War. But also the Iconian War changed the mind of admiralty so for public Angle class is a new lightcruiser class but in reality she's the first of a new breed of battlecruisers - short response time, long range attack cruisers. So yes it would be nice to hide the bridge modul and the whole bridge but also because of public, it should be seen well :) But anyhow... work is in progress just slow.... really hard to get those exact shapes I dreamt of to be real :)
    Sooo I just imported the Voyager mesh into my scene, also a Prometheus one to check the size-rates... realized by data the Angel class is 490m long, 169m wide, 65m height so it can get a nice shape. But the working model somehow was missized.... I fixed this and made some calculations. The Prometheus/Intrepid classes are both 60 meters height with 15 decks each it means 4.4m height for one deck. The Defiant class is 30.1m height with 4 decks so 7.1m height each. Sovereign is 87 meters height with 24 decks so here goes 3.6 meters for one deck. For me this number is the most realistic calculating with approx. 2 meters of internal walking corridors, a jefferies or service tube and some other engineering stuffs between decks. So with this the Angel class has got 18 decks which makes it higher than Prometheus or Intrepid but she's longer, wider why shouldn't be higher too? :) Also by growing the aft sections, the Angel class has the ability to hold 9 Delta Flyer-sized shuttles stored and 4 "landed" ones. In emergencies she could hold up 3 mores. I am actually modelling the bridge "megastructure: which won't be as mega as like on sovereign or just on intrepid classes. But it will be a reinforced bridge structure. Also I am modelling the interior of the bridge with prototype placeholders - so the whole bridge will be made later. I hope I can upload some screenshots soon but I am not promising anything since I go to holidays from wednesday for 2 weeks but we will see :)
    Okay so... decided to make some images (basically about the bridge prototype interior and the bridge "superstructure" with the slightly modified hull) to show you for any comments or suggestions. Not render images sorry, since I modified the main hull and now there are some edge looping issues I have to fix still and after I gonna make my material base on MadKoiFish detailed writing last week :) so after those steps I am willing to make some initial renders to check the modifications was made to this beauty :) Till that... c&c's are welcome.
    2mg9fyg.png2vd3137.png
  • PsychyoPsychyo0 Posts: 0Member
    Yay another Max user! Great job on the model, looks good :thumb:
    Just one question, is there any reason you went with a window for the viewscreen?