Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDark Forces inspired game art

2»

• Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    Thanks, guys! You can give the current build a try here:
    http://www.hedfiles.net/DFMobile/DFMobile.html
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    whoa looking mad cool. Any gameplay in yet?
    homerpalooza67: Thanks! Not yet. I've been adding in the HUD as of late.
    Okay, here's the new version.
    HUD_UI_05.png
    HUD_UI_06.png
    HUD_UI_07.png

Enjoy, and any feedback is totally welcome.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Fantastic, as always!
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    The controls are interesting looking. They kind of look like beat up equipment from Star Wars, which I'm assuming is the idea. Is the big button on the right for firing? Also, are you going to have controls to look up and down?
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    It's great to see a classic come to life again and in such an awesome way to boot!

In case somebody hasn't noticed yet, there's currently a Star Wars sale on Steam where the whole Dark Forces series can be bought for about six bucks: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2103/

BTW: Howard, are there any plans to use the code behind this game for a similar one set in your Wings of Saint Nazaire universe as well?
    GOG currently has the first game for $2.99 by itself, or $1.37 as a part of this bundle:

http://www.gog.com/promo/may_the_4th_star_wars_saber_bundle_280415

Plus, if anybody runs Linux, GOG has it ready to install on Linux. (.deb package) Though, it's not that difficult to download it via Steam on Windows or Wine, grab the DOS files from the installation file and run it manually in DOSBox on either Linux or a Mac.

Both of those sites are currently running big Star Wars game sales, since Star Wars day is just a few days away. :)
  • lennier1lennier1913 Posts: 1,283Member
    GOG currently has the first game for $2.99 by itself, or $1.37 as a part of this bundle:
    And if you had actually checked the Steam link you'd see that that price was for the whole Dark Forces series, not just a single game.
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, really loving how this is coming along, great aesthetic for the controls.
    The controls are interesting looking. They kind of look like beat up equipment from Star Wars, which I'm assuming is the idea. Is the big button on the right for firing? Also, are you going to have controls to look up and down?

Those controls are currently working in game if you follow the link. You'll see that one stick navigates you around while the other allows you to look around. Though I'm using a keyboard to check it out you see the appropriate stick on screen move when you use the controls, you can also move the sticks with your mouse.
    lennier1 wrote: »
    And if you had actually checked the Steam link you'd see that that price was for the whole Dark Forces series, not just a single game.

Where did that come from? I never said it was for a single game. I aso never said I didn't check Steam or that the GOG price was better. I merely pointed out another site having a sale.

I have accounts on both sites, I know full well what is on sale where.
    Wow, that got off the rails a bit quick. :)
    Everyone go buy Dark forces on your digital distribution source of choice!
    I know I did!

Okay, so found some time to work on this, and here's a UI update...
    HUD_UI_09.png
    HUD_UI_10.png
    And the raw texture:
    HUD_UI_08.png
    Is it still too much?
    Enjoy!
    F*ing weird is what that was. But, it's no big deal. I was looking at my Steam account last night and Dark Forces and Jedi Knight were the very first two games I ever purchased on there, almost 4 years ago. :)

The UI looks good, but maybe a tad large. Though, I guess that would be necessary for smaller screens.
    evil_genius_180: Yeah, it really is. the sticks need to be where they are for useability, and your fingers cover up about 90% of where the rest of the HUD is - the other 10% is necessary informational displays.

Okay, back to the fun stuff - making blaster hits in MAX:
    blast!.gif
    Enjoy!
    That's awesome. I love how you clearly did it with modern tech, yet it still has that '90s pixilated look. :)
    Thanks! Heres a slight update.
    blast2!.gif
    The smoke looks better in that one.
    Thanks. Here's an update, now with variations!
    blast3!.gif
    And for the Heavy Blaster projectiles -
    blast4!.gif
    And for the Imperial Repeater Rifle!
    blast5!.gif
    Enjoy!
    Variations are always good. :)
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    im getting a headache from all that! :p nice job!
  • MarkyDMarkyD0 Posts: 0Member
    I love this thread, If you are modelling, texturing, coding and making your own game I envy you. Very nicely done!
    Thanks!
    And now, the best gun ever, the Concussion Rifle!
    blast6!.gif
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Loving these, and awesome retro feel to them.

:thumb:
    That's the "dead before you hit the ground" gun for that game, right? The effect looks great.
    Thanks, guys! Evil: yeah, it's definitely that guy. it's the one that fires an invisible projectile, and has a blast radius. It's awesome. :D

So here's the last bunch of updates, it's time to move onto something else.
    Stormtrooper Rifle Hit VFX:
    blast9!.gif
    Updated Repeater Hit - decided to go to Yellow for this guy, as in Dark Forces 2. Blue looked too much like the Concussion Rifle.
    blast8!.gif
    Updated Concussion rifle hit. Added a bit more punch and flame to the base.
    blast7!.gif

Enjoy!
    They're all looking great.