Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DDark Forces inspired game art

Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
edited May 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Hey, guys. Been working on some Dark forces inspired game art! It's all simple diffuse maps with Beast lightmaps on top, running in unity.
ReflectionOcclusion_01.PNG
ReflectionOcclusion_02.PNG
ReflectionOcclusion_03.PNG
I'm planning to have this be a quickie demo of a 3rd person retro shooter on mobile devices. I also got started on a custom Corellian Transport that'll be sitting in the Imperial hangar of the base - something that's taking a lot longer to finish than the hallway test did!
CustomFreighter_01.PNG
CustomFreighter_02.PNG
CustomFreighter_03.PNG
When that's done, I've got a plan to do a Sentinel Class landing craft in the same style, and then start piecing everything together into a playable level. I've got no grand plan for this - I just want to see how much cool stuff I can pack into one mobile shooter level. I do plan on releasing it for free when I'm done.
Enjoy!
108203.PNG
Post edited by Howard Day on
Tagged:

• TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice, great retro feel to it, and happy memories of that game.

:thumb:
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804256 Posts: 11,034Member
    Sweet stuff. I like how everything looks newer, but it still looks low-ish quality, like the games from the '90s. I love Dark Forces, it's one of the best SW games from the '90s, in my opinion. (though, there are a lot of great SW games from the '90s)
  • Howard DayHoward Day632 Posts: 434Member
    TALON_UK: Yeah, totally! I have some incredibly fond memories of this game - and I played through it not too long ago, and it's still really awesome.
    evil_genius_180: Thanks! That's exactly what I'm going for.
    Here's an update! Got the thing running on android. If anyone wants to give it a shot, PM me. :D
    Enjoy!
    108204.png108205.png108206.png
    It's looking great. :thumb:

I agree with you on the game, it's easily one of my top 10 FPS games. One of the things that I love about it is that it's all FPS, at no point does your character use a lightsaber, unlike the sequels. I think it was one of the first, if not the first, Star Wars games to not have any lightsaber or space ship combat. I have it on Steam. Unfortunately, their version isn't Linux compatible, though. (which is stupid because it's a DOS game) However, I can download it on Windows (or WINE) and copy it to my Linux drive and play it by using DOSBox to load it, without Steam. In fact, I may have to do that later. Talking about it is putting me in the mood to play. :)
  • Knight26Knight26192 Posts: 838Member
    Looks awesome howie
    Thanks guys - here's the link to the current webplayer build. Be warned, it's pretty rough.
    http://www.hedfiles.net/DFMobile/DFMobile.html
  • WizWiz28 Posts: 0Member
    Wow that takes me back, great stuff! :)
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    this is awesome, I LOVE dark forces

I don't know how you do it, playing old games was like playing with lego, very blocky but you used your imagination to fill in the details, somehow you have improved it but retained that old feel so you still use your imagination, that transport in the first post is the perfect example of this
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,891Member
    I loved the earlier Jedi Knight games, those were fun!
    Then when you finish, you go back and put in cheat codes so you can dismember stormtroopers with your lightsaber....
  • TralfazTralfaz412 Posts: 846Member
    Absolutely loved playing Dark Forces when it first came out (yes, I'm that old). Some people and I were all playing it to see who could get the farthest first. Spent many a lunch time playing it. Unfortunately, I can't play video games any more due to a vertical imbalance in my eyes and difficulty seeing through bi-focals, the game play makes me very nauseous. Miss the good old days of networking two computers together with a null cable and competing with my son, who even at that young age would whip my butt!
  • Road WarriorRoad Warrior207 Posts: 815Member
    This made my day. Brings bad fond memories.

Say- hope you do more star wars stuff- as everything you do turns out great.
  • stonkystonky350 Posts: 489Member
    Wow, that's fantastic! I absolutely LOVED Dark Forces when it first came out - it was the first time that you could really run around in the Star Wars world and shoot stuff Funny, I just installed it again about a week ago. You're implementation looks perfect, the juxtaposition of the low-res textures and 2D character sprites with modern day reflections and light sources really works. :thumb:
    I'd love to give it a spin. Sending you a PM :)
    https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/distro/install?id=ZkiXeG5R3 <- New Web build. For those who'd like to try it on device - try this link instead!
    https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/distro/install?id=byTfXZ5A2
    Please let me know how it works for you.
    Enjoy!
    Well, on my Android tablet, it tells me that it can only be installed on Android devices. :shiner:

The other link does nothing, all I get is a white box.
    The android version is straight out of the '90's, so great work there! control is a bit rough, i cant shoot anything and moving took a little to figure out. Nicely done!
    Well, on my Android tablet, it tells me that it can only be installed on Android devices. :shiner:
    The other link does nothing, all I get is a white box.
    Oh, shiiiiiiiiit - so what's your tablet type? Is it very recent? Or very old? I will get an actual .apk link up so you can grab that.
    The android version is straight out of the '90's, so great work there! control is a bit rough, i cant shoot anything and moving took a little to figure out. Nicely done!
    Thanks! Still really working on the controls. Hopefully they'll be better soon.
    Howard Day wrote: »
    Oh, shiiiiiiiiit - so what's your tablet type? Is it very recent? Or very old? I will get an actual .apk link up so you can grab that.

Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, 2012 version. So no, not very recent. "Very old" depends on your point of view, I guess.
    recently built, non-cloud APK, give it a shot!
    http://www.hedfiles.net/DFMobile.apk

And let me know if it works for you!
    It's acting stupid on the tablet. (not downloading properly) I'll download it to my desktop later and then transfer it to the tablet.
    Hey, that's really great so far. I finally got it working, after I downloaded it to my real computer and transferred it via the USB cable to my tablet. (remember, a tablet can replace your laptop :rolleyes:)
    Yay! Okay, I'm glad it's not completely borked. What kind of frame rate were you seeing?
    Thanks for taking the time to check it out!
    60 FPS. It ran pretty smoothly. Great job so far. :thumb:

By the way, I figured out my issue with downloading the .apk on my tablet wasn't limited to your link. I was trying to download something from another site last night and it didn't work there either. So, it must be an issue with the latest version of Firefox for Android, because it worked the last time I tried that before I upgraded. :rolleyes:
    So! Some updates for you - I added a hangar, a Tie Fighter, and put the Rebel Corellian in the scene as well. It's now in Unity 5, and after much fiddling, I managed to get the lighting working like I'd like. It's still ages slower than the old Beast Lightmapper (This scene would take 5 min in that, it takes almost 45 in Enlighten), but at least the quality is there.
    DFM_10.png
    DFM_11.png
    DFM_12.png
    DFM_13.png
    DFM_14.png
    DFM_15.png
    DFM_16.png
    DFM_17.png
    DFM_18.png
    DFM_19.png
    DFM_20.png
    Anyhow, if you'd like to play the latest build, here are the links:
    Android: https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/distro/install?id=b1eKEIdha
    Webplayer: https://build.cloud.unity3d.com/distro/install?id=b1MP48_2p
    Enjoy!
    These always bring a smile to my face.

Thank you for your time and effort Howard Day.
    It's looking awesome. I love the freighter. :D
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Absolutely gorgeous, these shots look great, some serious detail you've managed to get in there too.
    Here's an update - I've buttoned up the hangar, added front and back walls, reflections and a bunch of other good stuff. I also figured out how to get the Lightmap bake times in enlighten down to a reasonable number. in beast I was looking at 4-5 minutes tops... Enlighten was taking almost 4 hours. I've gotten that down to 25minutes - which is something I can live with.
    DFM_Up01.png
    DFM_Up02.png
    DFM_Up05.png
    DFM_Up06.png
    DFM_Up07.png

And for those of you curious, here's how I did the reflections!
    DFM_Up03.png

Enjoy!
    Great stuff. It's really looking awesome. :)
    You are the MAN.