Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DEnterprise-B

nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
edited July 2016 in Work in Progress #1
Hey guys, let me show you a side project of me that I started just for fun 2 weeks ago...after I watched 'Generations' again after a long time.
So it is quite progressed because modeling went really fast. Only some details and the cargo bays are left to model. The saucer's texture is pretty much done, also.
106594.jpg
106595.jpg
106596.jpg
Post edited by nightfever on
Tagged:

• Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    Amazing!
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804572 Posts: 11,177Member
    That looks awesome. I really like how you did the bowed out section on the secondary hull. It looked like an add-on part in the film (because it was.) Since you modeled yours into the hull, it looks smooth as silk. :)
  • Hunter GHunter G1924 Posts: 544Member
    Nice and smooth modeling!
    That looks awesome. I really like how you did the bowed out section on the secondary hull. It looked like an add-on part in the film (because it was.) Since you modeled yours into the hull, it looks smooth as silk. :)

It wasn't that bad:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/generationshd/generationshd0113.jpg

In fact, until I heard it the first time I never noticed, I thought it was a completely new model.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Don't get me wrong, they did a great job on it. I just think nightfever's looks better. :)
  • NanoGatorNanoGator1 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful. I sure do love that version of the excelsior.
    Don't get me wrong, they did a great job on it. I just think nightfever's looks better. :)

Agreed.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • nightfevernightfever361 Posts: 585Member
    Thanks guys, here are two shots of the unsmoothed engineering section
    106598.jpg106599.jpg
  • mattcmattc181 Perth, AuPosts: 322Member
    Looks nice. :)
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice work, looks sweet.
    nightfever wrote: »
    Thanks guys, here are two shots of the unsmoothed engineering section

Sweet, thanks for sharing those. I always love it when you post these "before smoothing" images, because they give me ideas. :)
  • publiusrpubliusr555 Posts: 1,753Member
    Without the saucer, it reminds me a bit of Very Large Crude Carriers (tankers).
  • StarshipStarship472 São Paulo - BrasilPosts: 1,981Member
    ItA’s amazing!!
    Your mesh already looks perfect, even in unfinished state. Time to decommission mine! :)
    I really need to learn how to do SubD modeling.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,415Member
    Hello Nightfever,
    you continue to build on the Enterprise-B?
    regards
    Thanks for appreciation.
    trekki wrote: »
    Hello Nightfever,
    you continue to build on the Enterprise-B?
    regards

Yes, I'm now modeling those canon thingies on the neck's front. When I finished this, the neck is done and I will post new pics (may be tonight?). Other than that I finished texturing the saucer, impulse engines, sensor dome and bridge module.
    Yes, I'm now modeling those canon thingies on the neck's front. When I finished this, the neck is done and I will post new pics (may be tonight?). Other than that I finished texturing the saucer, impulse engines, sensor dome and bridge module.

I've never really figured out what those are, but I doubt they're weapons. Anything fired from there would hit the lower saucer. Memory Alpha has them listed as torpedo launchers, which is really stupid due to the reason stated above. Plus, you can clearly see the Excelsior's torpedoes firing from the launchers in its secondary hull in Star Trek VI. If I had to guess, I'd say the things in the neck are sensors.
  • kuckuk333kuckuk333178 Posts: 209Member
    I've never really figured out what those are, but I doubt they're weapons. Anything fired from there would hit the lower saucer. Memory Alpha has them listed as torpedo launchers, which is really stupid due to the reason stated above. Plus, you can clearly see the Excelsior's torpedoes firing from the launchers in its secondary hull in Star Trek VI. If I had to guess, I'd say the things in the neck are sensors.

When i remember correctly those strange structures in the neck's front are landing bays for workbees etc. In the starting sequence of ST: Generations one can see a pod coming out there. at least i think so, if my eyes didn't trick me.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972332 Posts: 1,210Member
    I think that they were originally designed to be the torpedo launchers back when the model was being done. Maybe probe launchers or something.
    I found a high res shot of that part of the Lacota studio model. I can't recognize any holes or ports, so I'd say these are some kind of special purpose sensors.
  • IRMLIRML253 Posts: 1,993Member
    I can't remember where but I've seen them described as sensors before
    One thing is for certain, you can't trust anything "official." According to the MSD used in the film, they're photon torpedo launchers. Photon torpedo launchers whose forward firing arc is obscured by the lower saucer. Yeah, that makes sense. :p Though, the MSD also makes it look like they clear the lower saucer, but they don't.
  • MartocticvsMartocticvs444 Posts: 524Member
    Looks pretty sharp to me, nice work :)
    Looks like some kind of sensor equipment.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    According to the MSD used in the film, they're photon torpedo launchers. Photon torpedo launchers whose forward firing arc is obscured by the lower saucer.

I think that won't matter as torpedos have their own targeting and guiding systems, just rememder the doctored torpedo in ST6 targeting the BOPs exhaust.
    I think that won't matter as torpedos have their own targeting and guiding systems, just rememder the doctored torpedo in ST6 targeting the BOPs exhaust.

True, but it's asinine to have it fly in a curved path to avoid the saucer when you're firing at a target in front of you. Plus, I also remember the Excelsior in Star Trek VI firing torpedoes from the things that are clearly torpedo tubes in its secondary hull. ;)

I agree with Chris, it's probably a sensor.
  • Vortex5972Vortex5972332 Posts: 1,210Member
    I agree it wouldn't make much sense for them to be torpedo launchers, but wouldn't sensors have the same problem?

"Sir, I'm picking up an obje- Oh, nevermind, it's the bottom of our saucer again." (Not to mention there's a sensor dome on roughly the same level.)

You could maybe either make them extendable tractor emitters (I admit it's an odd placement for them.) or thrusters. Maybe emergency brake thrusters or something.
  • homerpalooza67homerpalooza67228 Posts: 1,892Member
    Vortex5972 wrote: »
    I agree it wouldn't make much sense for them to be torpedo launchers, but wouldn't sensors have the same problem?

"Sir, I'm picking up an obje- Oh, nevermind, it's the bottom of our saucer again." (Not to mention there's a sensor dome on roughly the same level.)
    the software would automatically compensate for that :D
    Although the last thing you want is to accidentally fire a torpedo into your own primary hull :p
  • japetusjapetus2981 SeattlePosts: 1,403Member
    Nice work so far..i made an Enterprise-B a while back, it's a hard but rewarding ship! Keep up the good work!
    japetus wrote: »
    Nice work so far..i made an Enterprise-B a while back, it's a hard but rewarding ship! Keep up the good work!
    Thanks. Did you make a Wip thread back then?
    Yes, I'm now modeling those canon thingies on the neck's front. When I finished this, the neck is done and I will post new pics (may be tonight?).

Today I finished neck sensors and had to make some corrections on the lower saucer around the neck's junction. I didn't had enough time left before I had to go to work to make new WIP renders. So, I will post them tonight.