Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

2DMirror Horizon

DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
edited December 2015 in Work in Progress #1
Some random assortment of space-stuffs I doodled for no reason in particular. Perhaps I'll continue to expand this list.

KnnzLHK.png
Pakruv - unmanned resource extractor
gmdRqog.png?2
Myrhmn - massive super-capital vessel that serves as a waystation for civilian traffic in the area.
UtqYhNL.png
Pirate caravel
LWxLdjW.png
Jotyr - private corvette
106007.jpg
Post edited by Daemoria on
Tagged:

• StormcloudStormcloud2 Posts: 0Member
    homeworld inflence? looking good!
  • MaxxRushMaxxRush180 Posts: 168Member
    Stormcloud wrote: »
    homeworld inflence? looking good!

Just what I was going to say. Not that that's a bad thing.
  • lennier1lennier1917 Posts: 1,286Member
    Nice designs.
    And I have to agree with the others. Would actually be a good style for a Homeworld comic.
  • DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
    I hadn't thought about doing a comic, but these would work pretty well for one now that I think about it.
    3DVu7eQ.png

Gul - Civilian transport
    105852.png
  • BorgManBorgMan209 DutchlandPosts: 581Member
    Given that some of it's models come out pretty cartoony and that there's the possibility to modify the line shape, these look like they'd translate to SketchUp pretty well. Very original, I like them :)
  • spacefighterspacefighter2 Posts: 0Member
    a but on the colourful side and overly cartoonish in the drawings but some nice concepts. i would like to see these either as 3d models or as accurate drawings with thinner lines.
  • JeffJeff1 Posts: 0Member
    Not familiar with the Homeworld comics, but I kinda disagree here. Rather than cartoonish I see them as quick color and shape studies, very spontaneous, to get the feel of a subject before getting wrapped up in all the minutiae of fine detailing or unnecessary greeblifification. Of course, if these are instead finished works I welcome a fresh look also. All of the (excellent) Trek designs and renderings are starting to run together for me, nice to see a different approach for a change. Great work, very interesting.
    Jeff wrote: »
    Not familiar with the Homeworld comics, ...
    Homeworld is a video game series that uses comic-style designs and cutscenes to its advantage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4ut7ecedG4
    fieZy5O.png
    "Together we may touch the Infinite. Just step through the glass, dear child."

A pair of mirror gates, which brings the title to the thread's mystery to a close. Massive stable (artificially generated) singularities are the main means of transport between interstellar distances, due to the cost of fuel for small ship based Alcubierre drives.

I'd like to do some detailed mesh work for these concepts, but sadly my time is quite fleeting. Due to time constraints, like Jeff surmised, I like producing gobs of rough concept designs to explore the shapes/colors of this 'universe'. I hope you guys don't mind the lack of warp nacelles and command decks. :D
    P7WUpUL.png

Exploring more shapes. Trying to find a nice 'quick' looking ship to make a scene with, I ended up doodling a couple more randoms ships instead.
    no one minds the lack of warp nacelles/other classic trek features it's very nice to see some different and original designs. those latest few are a nice selection. not sure which end of the drone is it's tail(is that an exhaust plume or a searchlight?) but i would suggest it might look better with the "searchlight" option so the narrow end is the nose, the other end has some bulges to accommodate engine parts. hanging fin design is cool and if they rotate and fold up i could imagine that ship being atmo capable and also coming in a crewed version (like skylon with the pilots in a pod in it's payload bay rather than at a ground station). unsure what to make of the blue and yellow one, it's a bit ugly but might look nice from other angles. the white/grey ship has an appearance which slightly reminds me of some sort of gun, like the sulaco from aliens or some other ships i have seen but cannot remember the name of. the latest drawings seem better than the ones on the last page, a little less cartoonish and more like standard concept sketches. when you get a chance to do some 3d work these will be great to see as models and in some animations.
    That grey one in the last image kinda looks like a nice blend of influences from Homeworld and the Alliance ships in Legend Of The Galactic Heroes (example).
    in3Q0IQ.png

Thanks for the comments.

Ya, the yellow Corvette ship in the last pic was deliberately designed to be ugly... so i guess i achieved my purpose. :D
    The white Destroyer is indeed a bit of LoGH, I love the designs, but the anime itself is pretty unwatchable imo.

For ease of identification, the drive tech in this setting all emits a radioactive blue glow, something akin to Cherenkov radiation. So the red drone is in fact scooting around on its narrow end. The entire sheet is actually a bunch of booty shots. >_>
    you won't get cherenkov radiation in a vacuum, it's caused by particles emitted from the radioactive source moving faster than light does IN THAT MEDIUM and generating a shockwave of blue photons. the craft in your latest pic are unusual, they might look better if those wings could rotate about the y axis. the forward fuselages of those designs are already rather nice.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    He said it's something like it not exactly like it
  • liam887liam887322 SwedenPosts: 575Member
    I love this style keep it up! Cant fault anything I have seen so far.

Are you painting over rough 3D models or just painting from scratch? My technique is the former, when I started 3D I could not afford a decent render engine so I always painted my models in Photoshop afterwards, years later now that I do have the software the style has stuck and I only use it to compliment my illustrations rather than render anything properly.

Keep it up cant wait to see more.
  • sorceress21sorceress21269 Posts: 577Member
    These are fantastic designs! Thanks for sharing...
    XPPlygM.png
    --
    "I see the Flickerbeams shining, so bright and harsh." - Red-Haven gunnery officer.

Some more pirate vessels. This time they're actually doing some piratey stuff.

For the majority of these designs, I've done free hand sketches in photoshop, fairly rough and loose, just to explore shapes/proportions. The latest 3 images I then took into cinema4d to make some rough base meshes to ensure the perspective remains correct.
  • StarriggerStarrigger476 Posts: 698Member
    This is some awesome stuff, keep it up. It reminds me of some of the great sci-fi art of the past, real cool!
    Come on over to my place CGI Worlds
    B16y0ws.png
    Experimenting with making massive 'alien' space vessel shapes. This will eventually be part of a much more intricate scene. Still working out the details in photoshop before I take the mesh to the next level.

piSrw3B.png
    Updated pirate ambush scene.

IkbB0Qy.png
    Small bomber I drew for teh luls.
    Pride (View in 3D)
    WSwqg

I took a small break from spaceships to work on a primal-demon character. I should probably change my title to 'Mirror Horizon, and random assorted artworks' ... not as catchy tho.
    wow, that's pretty detailed. organic modelling is bleepin hard but you look to have mastered it. would like to see your ships in this kind of quality and detail.
    I decided to actually join a contest being held at 3dsquirrel. The topic is 'Battleships', and it's pretty open to interpretation.
    Still very work in progress.
    k9HnjHn.png
    106004.png106005.png
    o43Xfy5.png

More detailed concept work. Gotta figure out all those panel lines before I start cutting up my nice clean hull.
    RcbZ9Tg.png

Ow my hand. Time to take a break from the tablet I think.
  • SchimpfySchimpfy396 Posts: 1,632Member
    Love your style. Very nice concept for the battleship. I sure wouldn't want to mess with that. :thumb:
    great to see these coming together in 3d, seems a huge jump in visual appeal from what it is on the line drawings. very awesome. what is the huge off-axis blade(orange and grey coloured) for?
    cCZSKPy.png

hFNy6Wm.png

Deployed secondary armament of the battleship, the ARC bow. High velocity, rapid fire rail gun
    rail guns make sense as a weapon for a starship but there is no reason for those electrical arcs shown in the second image, they would cause energy loss making the cannon less efficient and might damage nearby equipment. what's more i don't think arcs like that would exist in the vacuum of space, those lightning strike patterns are formed by the current ionising the air into plasma, a current jumping a gap in the vacuum would probably only a emit a slight glow and would likely be a smoother more direct shape. i like the turret design and having those bits fold away from the main barrel actually looks cool but maybe make them into heat radiators instead. also another point, good thinking to use a rail gun here not only because it is a good weapon for space combat but also because it gives a very good reason for such long barrels, a laser weapon needs barely any barrel but a rail gun becomes more powerful when the barrel is longer. you might want to add some detail to suggest the presence of the huge capacitor racks you would need.
  • colbmistacolbmista2 Posts: 0Member
    Space fighter in his universe the electrical arc is what provides the gun it's power not capacitors yes it isn't the same as a real rail gun but I think the arc bow looks cool as is it is since fiction not science fact if he going for realism then I'm sure he'd design something more realisticly plausible why must you always bash people's design just because they don't fit with real world logics