Greetings!

Welcome to Scifi-Meshes.com! Click one of these buttons to join in on the fun.

3DVulcan ships for Star Trek-Horizon

• Vortex5972Vortex5972333 Posts: 1,211Member
    Nice start, I sure don't envy you. :p

Cool little ship, I like a lot of the Vulcan designs. Never been much for the Sh'ran, though.
  • Chris2005Chris2005679 Posts: 3,097Member
    How exactly do you do the subdividing, etc. without affecting the border of the geometry too much?

I see it a lot in modeling, but never quite understand how it's done.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC 12GB
    1TB NVMe SSD, 2 x 1GB SATA SSD, 4TB external HDD
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • nightfevernightfever372 Posts: 585Member
    I don't know exactly what you mean
    nightfever wrote: »
    I don't know exactly what you mean

Basically, starting out with simple geometry and added the subdivisions but preventing that from crushing the overall shape of the object.

Tommy Kraft sent me a video after he saw my post. :)
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
  • evil_genius_180evil_genius_1804617 Posts: 11,190Member
    Basically, the closer the vertices are to the edge, the sharper the corner is going to be. For example, Nightfever has some verts close to where he wants "sharper" edges to be:

Verts.png

Without the verts so close to the edges of the mesh like they are, those areas would become big curves and the part would lose it shape. Since he put those there, that doesn't happen. You have to plan edges like that out, or you're in for a disappointment when you subdivide. ;)
    105732.png
    Basically, the closer the vertices are to the edge, the sharper the corner is going to be. For example, Nightfever has some verts close to where he wants "sharper" edges to be:

Verts.png

Without the verts so close to the edges of the mesh like they are, those areas would become big curves and the part would lose it shape. Since he put those there, that doesn't happen. You have to plan edges like that out, or you're in for a disappointment when you subdivide. ;)

Now I get it. Thanks.

The video Tommy sent me, and I've been watching is here: https://vimeo.com/10941211

It does seem to be a very complex process to model, watching the video, it gets kind of intimidating... lol. With all the planning, cleaning, etc.
    AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
    32 GB RAM
    Windows 11 Pro
    Chris2005 wrote: »
    Now I get it. Thanks.

The video Tommy sent me, and I've been watching is here: https://vimeo.com/10941211

It does seem to be a very complex process to model, watching the video, it gets kind of intimidating... lol. With all the planning, cleaning, etc.

No problem. It's a very time consuming way to model, that's for sure. Plus, one wrongly placed vert can make the difference between a smooth curve and something that looks like a kid drew it. ;) But, it's also the best way to make certain shapes that you can't make with primitives or splines. It's actually a technique I'm fairly new to using, because the version of Truespace I used to use didn't have that type of subdivision. But, Lightwave does, so I've been experimenting.
  • NevetsNevets201 EarthPosts: 134Member
    Great work nightfever.

Love the Sh'Ran (my favourite Vulcan ship design)
    Thank you, guys.
    Today I added the details to the top bow (bridge or whatever) section. Some little things are still to do there.

vahklas_wip2.jpg
    That's freaking cool. It's a shame we never got to see a close up of this on screen in the episode.
    Awesome!! Looks like a face. Also has Sov-esque escape pods, it would seem.
    Some hull paneling and details. The panels are so time consuming, but most of them on the main hull are done.
    vahklas_wip3.jpg

vahklas_wip4.jpg
    So! Cool!!
  • trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,417Member
    Hi Alex,
    it went so fast now. Looks again very good. I am on the final
    Ship tense.
    Trekki :D
  • AresiusAresius359 Posts: 4,171Member
    Nice work, I like it. :)
  • tommygdawgtommygdawg0 Posts: 0Member
    Beautiful! I so appreciate the pain you're going through to get those bevels and such in! Really great work :)
    Have some time this weekend, so I finished the modeling today. I hope I get the UVs done by tomorrow.

vahklas_wip5.jpg

vahklas_wip6.jpg
  • trekkitrekki964 Posts: 1,417Member
    The ship is very cool ...
    Greetings
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1924 CaliforniaPosts: 2,081Member
    Spectacular work, Nightfever. This whole thread! :thumb:
  • BrandenbergBrandenberg1924 CaliforniaPosts: 2,081Member
    BTW, I tried to sign up on your site. Think I did something wrong. The confirmation thing I was sent, didn't work.
    I have no pending user right now. Please try again to registeror tell me your username.
  • MajesticMajestic0 Posts: 0Member
    Fantastic detail you've put into her, looks like the model came straight out of the show. :D
    Hi folks, I'm done with the second Vulcan ship. Some infos:
    43 objects
    polygon count is 181.863
    two 4k texture sets and one 1k texture

vahklas1.jpg

vahklas2.jpg

vahklas3.jpg
  • tobiasrichtertobiasrichter334 Posts: 0Member
    They look great! Keep it up!
  • wibblewibble1268 Weimar, GermanyPosts: 569Member
    Just amazing! It will be an eternal mystery to me how it is possible to build such detailed models with less than 200.000 polygons.
    That's awesome. :thumb:
  • TALON_UKTALON_UK2 Posts: 0Member
    Nice job, great looking model.

:thumb:
  • DaemoriaDaemoria331 Posts: 0Member
    Going to throw my hat in with the rest of people here, this is a very nice model. The panel lines and lighting do remind me of the studio models, very good job.
  • MajesticMajestic0 Posts: 0Member
    Amazing work great attention to detail. :D
    Fantastic!